Jason Priestley in serious crash

Here’s a link to CNN/SI on the story

Now that I think about it, how the hell does somebody survive a 180 mph head-on collision?

They crash in a car specially designed to hold up as well as possible when crashing head-on into something at 180 mph, I’d assume.

Not that it often helps very much.

The type of car he was driving is made to break apart in order to absorb some of the impact of a crash. It’s not unusual to see a driver walk away from nothing more than the roll cage. Priestly, however, hit a sharper angle and the car held together for the most part.

I don’t know the details of Priestly’s crash, but he might have struck a “soft wall” which is coming more into vogue at race traciks. The Watkins Glen road course has a 10-foot styrofoam wall built all around it, and a couple years ago, Jimmie Johnson lost his brakes and struck that sucker head-on at about 150-160mph. He walked away without a scratch. (They show the crash quite often on “You Gotta See This!” and other such.)

I think that it is sad that we live in a world where an ‘actor’ makes front page news for being in an accident.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope the guy is Okay, the same that I hope anybody in an accident is okay. The fact that he was on a crappy TV show doesn’t give him any special consideration in my book.

He’s not getting special consideration - he’s a celebrity whose name is known to millions outside of racing.

This remind anyone else of that Simpsons episode (“Krusty Gets Kancelled”) where Luke Perry is a guest voice ?

For purposes of comparison, the great Ayrton Senna died in just such a situation.

As far as racing accidents go, Priestley’s injuries are rather typical: badly injured feet and legs, fractured spine. Fortunately he appears to have escaped the real killers–head and internal injuries. I sincerely hope that the fellow recovers.

On the bright side, since the guy is probably gonna be in a body cast for the next six months to a year, he’s a shoo-in for a remake of Rear Window.

…trying to resist…pressure too great…

Jason Priestly was in a serious crash, and we’re not talking about his career!

Badaboom!

its sucks but thats the kinda risks you take when you race cars!!

I heard on the radio this morning that Jason Priestley dodged a bullet–although his back was broken, his spinal cord was not injured. So while his injuries are serious, he should make a full recovery and walk again.

I just saw it reported on FoxNews that he’s been transferred to another hospital, but that he seems to have avoided paralysis, although he’s suffering some memory loss. He can, according to the report, say his name. :slight_smile:

I just saw it reported on FoxNews that he’s been transferred to another hospital, but that he seems to have avoided paralysis, although he’s suffering some memory loss. He can, according to the report, say his name. :slight_smile: