JCPenny gay Father's day ad

Holy cats. I’ve always liked JCP, now I like it a lot more. I haven’t shopped there in a while; need to go back soon.

I love that they did this but no gay man that I know would be caught dead wearing clothes from JC Penny.

I like it!

If I hadn’t been told that the guys in the ad were a gay couple I would have figured they were just two dudes playing with their children. Seems like everything is made out to be “gay” nowadays.

Too bad there are no JCP’s around here in Canada for me to spend my money at.

I thought the same thing, Juicy. I was like, this looks like a photo from a Daddy and Me playgroup.

I think I will find the time to create a Five Billion Brothers Facebook page, and waste a bunch of time threatening businesses that could be perceived to normalize and tolerate left-handed people, advocating for beating them into conformity the way God intended and which has inexplicably gone out of fashion for a few decades.

It isn’t being made out to be “gay” the two guys are an actual gay couple.

And how is it that this ad has been out for over a day and the locusts have not descended upon us?

Do you mean told by the ad itself? Or told by others? Because the ad copy makes it pretty clear that the men are gay.

It was in an article. I didn’t even read the ad copy, just looked at the picture and figured it was two guys playing with their kids. Teh Gay didn’t occur to me.

I think that’s what makes this advertisement all the more awesome. They could have easily taken the safe and ambiguous route and allowed people to think it was two friends hanging out and letting their kids play together. Instead, they specifically mention that the people shown are an actual couple.

Do you think they did this just to spite that stupid hate group or had it planned for a while already?

I think they did it out of spite. How delicious :smiley:

Of course, it is also shrewd marketing…just look at how many posters here plan to go to JCP. Extrapolate that out to the population that matches the demographics of this board, and it’s pretty significant.

Y’know, the last time I bought clothes, it was at JCP, and I got excellent service, with prices close to Wal-Mart’s, and for good quality. So I probably would have been shopping there again anyway. This just makes that decision even easier.

Look at the picture. See the text “First Pals” at the upper right? Then there’s a short paragraph in microfont on that image.

The article quotes the text

That’s pretty friggin’ up front. Oh, I suppose one could argue that since there are two dads on that page, that’s all they meant, but it really reads to me like it’s saying a kid can have one dad, or two.

So the ad doesn’t show the two dads making out, to prove they’re gay. Now that would be something that is over the top and unnecessary. This ad isn’t about “gay men have sex”, it’s about families and that some families come with two dads.

Of course, here’s a different explanation that works for that same picture and text. One is biological dad, and the other is stepdad.

Wonder what OMM thinks about divorce. :wink:

Probably both. They’re in the middle of an aggressive attempt to re-market themselves or something, and taking on Ellen would mean they were already going to go for a hipper more diversity-inclusive advertising campaign anyway. It’s win-win.

ETA: Plus, someone already linked to their lesbian-inclusive Mother’s Day ad.

Aside, why can’t I find this ad on YouTube? It’s an ad; they’re paying good money to get people to see it. Don’t they want to let people see it for free, too?

Huh? Isn’t this a print ad?

OMM may have left Facebook.

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/breaking-one-million-moms-disappears-from-facebook/politics/2012/06/01/40446

“Earlier today administrators of the One Million Moms Facebook site posted a “warning” about Green Lantern being rebooted as gay, which they quickly pulled when over one hundred pro-gay comments flooded the post. Subsequently, they wrote a Facebook post stating they would be away for a week, possibly next week, for bible camp. Then, sometime on the past two hours, the One Million Moms Facebook page disappeared.”

This isn’t related to their ad campaign, but as a regular JC Penney shopper I wanted to mention that their new return policy is fantastic. There used to be a 30 day limit on returns, but they’ll now take returns any time.

I tested this recently. I was getting together a pile of things for Goodwill when I remembered I had a dress from JC Penney that had never been worn. It still had the tags on it and everything. I’d bought it four years ago partially on impulse and partially because it seemed suitable for a wedding I was expecting to attend. But the wedding was called off (best for all involved, really) and there hadn’t been any other occasion for which I needed such a dress. Even though I didn’t have the receipt anymore, my local JC Penney did take it back and gave me store credit for the sale price of the dress, which I’m sure is what I’d paid for it in the first place.

This particular situation isn’t one I plan to repeat, but it is nice to know that I can now make returns at JC Penney after 30 days/without a receipt.

I’m sorry if I sound like a snob, but not even a gay-friendly ad (why is that even a big deal?) would make me scout out a JCP.

I searched for “One Million Moms” on FB.

I got: “One Million Human Beings Against One Million Moms” (21381 likes)
“1 Million Moms Against One Million Moms” (16209 likes)
“One Million Moms Behind Ellen” (5518 likes)
“STOP ONE Million MOMS” (4695 likes)
“One Million Moms for JC Penney” (1102 likes)

No “One Million Moms” anymore…