Jeopardy discussion

In 1962, Pete Seeger (music) & Malvina Reynolds (lyrics) wrote a song celebrating Andorra :andorra: because the entire budget for their Defense Department was $4.90 for the purchase of blank ammunition to be fired at the celebration of their National Day.

Hearty Congratulations to Mayim Bialik, whom, not being a chronic whiner myself, I think does a fine job as hostess. I like her and Ken equally.

I got Eeyore and Andorra but not the Hall of Fame. As a wild guess, I went with Debbie Harry.

I was listening to the radio and they mentioned Stevie Nicks – but they went on to mention that Tina Turner and Carl King are also now in twice.

Brian

Make that “who,” not “whom.” Grammar counts!

I guessed Andorra but changed it in my mind to Gibraltar which is not even a country so chalk one up for extreme stupidity and the reason I will never humiliate myself by going on Jeopardy.

I actually thought of Andorra, but guessed Gibraltar, even though I knew it wasn’t a country, because I fell victim to that folly I’m always criticizing in others, failure to read the clue closely. My mind went “protect Spain from the Moors… what’s between Spain and Northern Africa? Well, there’s Gibraltar.” It didn’t occur to me that they were alluding to the fact that the Moors were already in Spain, and the idea was to block them from spreading further into Europe. Had I realized that, I would have chosen Andorra.

…and cat toys.

See, I don’t get this position. You have someone who blames the victims of sexual assault, pushes antivax theories that kill people, and uses her degree to push quack medicine. Any one of these things is often enough for people to cry foul and push for someone to be fired.

People hate Dr. Oz for his quackery. They hate Jenny McCarthy and her ilk. And I can come up with a long list of misogynists people hate. It doesn’t make any sense to me that someone who does all three is said “no big deal,” or act like people are wrong to care.

I can maybe get it if people were arguing that she was just so good, and that the show would be worse off without her. Some sort of ignoring the bad because of the good. But there isn’t any of that.

And the claim that it’s due to misogyny makes no sense to me, given her statements blaming women’s immodesty for their sexual assaults. If anything, it seems that people are giving her a pass because she’s a woman, and they like her.

What’s…Jeopardy reruns?
I forgot the season was over, got all ready to watch, and there’s Matt Amodio :roll_eyes: I wish him well and all that, but if I never see him again it will be too soon.

Yep, I skip watching the reruns (I don’t need to hear “What’s … George Washington?” types of responses again.) I might watch the Final Jeopardy just to remind myself of answers I didn’t get the first time or for a second time.

So do you plan to skip the tournament of champions? Because he’ll certainly be there.

Oh, yeah. I don’t watch reruns because I want to really know the answer, not remember it from the original airing. I won’t let Matt ruin it for me :slightly_smiling_face:

I knew the regular season was over – when I saw Matt I thought it might be the ToC, but then I realized it was a rerun (I missed the start).

Brian

It was actually “What’s…Washington”. First names were too much strain,

Any idea when the show returns?

And are there any more Prime Time shows coming up? Just want to make sure my PVR is set.

MtM

According to this article, the new season will begin on September 12, with prime-time Celebrity Jeopardy! premiering on September 25.

As in many markets, they show what is called Daytime Jeopardy before the regular show. With decades of shows to choose from, they always pick one from the past few months. I’d love to see some more older shows.

It’d be a hoot to see a few of the Art Fleming episodes again. For one thing, the dollar amounts would be ridicule low, starting at $10. I bet we would find many questions from the 1960s difficult to answer, such as recent film or sports trivia.

At least Weird Al Yankovic brought back Art Fleming for his “I Lost on Jeopardy” song parody:

Yep, Art Fleming is there, along with Don Pardo as the announcer.

I was once in the studio audience for Jeopardy when Art Fleming was host. So it must have been a long time ago. I think I was in high school. I remember accidentally saying the answer to one item out loud — it was something we had just covered in history class. I was shushed by a staff person.