Jesus - REALLY Vancouver? It's a fucking hockey game.

*Ah. This grumpy old race car I know once told me somethin’: it’s just an empty cup… *

Lightning McQueen

Interesting coverage by the Vancouver Sun on its website last night.

Now, if reports from the scene tell you large numbers of people are milling around downtown, lighting trash fires, overturning cars and setting them on fire, busting out store windows, breaking up the contents and being repelled by police tear gas, you have a choice of what to call it. Do you term it:

a) violence
b) rioting
c) a “minor rampage”

If you’re the Sun, you call it a “minor rampage”. I didn’t know rampages came in different sizes like that, but at any rate it’s far preferable to annoying the city fathers and reminding people of the hockey [del]riot[/del] rampage of 1994.

Just before I went to bed I returned to the story and they were still calling it a rampage, only they’d deleted the word “minor”. :smiley:

It’s funny because it’s true.

Okay, it’s not funny but it *is *true. Not sure why that rankles some folks.

1,498 pages.

Here in the deep south we had one of those when the local boy lost a major NASCAR race a few years back.

It now referred to as the “recent unpleasantness”.

Calm the fuck down. I read his post as him being surprised it happened at a hockey game because it’s the kind of thing you associate with soccer, not hockey.

But if his comment is going to cause you to riot, then so be it. Happens with soccer all the time.

Hmm. That’s going to require a lot of closeted Congressman. I’ll see if we can bone up the numbers.

Fuck!

This is the type of Internet argument too often associated with soccer forums.

Way to make a good case about soccer fans. And yes the rioting was disgusting. I just don’t get destroying your own shit over stuff like this.

I thought it was a Simpsons quote. Didn’t Kent Brockman say something like this in one episode?

Anyway, it’s too bad when a city gets trashed after their sport teams loses or wins a game, but we know that in every crowd, there are people only there to make trouble. And the more they drink, the more they get into it. So it’s not entirely surprising.

Maybe you just haven’t had people assuming you’re a violent idiot because of your nationality and sport you like much. I’ve had it a lot. It pisses me off.

Does it piss you off enough to punch somebody? Set a car on fire?
/flees

Yeah, where did he get the idea soccer fans have short fuses?

Mate, it’s the pit.

And I’m bored at work.

Well, at least they rioted after losing. Don’t soccer fans pretty much riot as a sport itself, regardless of which team won?
Throwing someone off an overpass? Man, that is all kinds of fucked up. Very shameful.

There, I fixed that for ya.

I live in Vancouver and I am fucking disgusted by the behaviour. I was around when the 1994 riots occurred, although very young at the time. I know a lot of people were saying that the city had “grown up” in the last 17 years and given how successfully the Olympics went, they could have been right. But there were just these young “men” who were looking for trouble. The mayor of Vancouver was right… they were hooligans intent on stirring up trouble.

Everyone I know is condemning the rioting. It’ll be my fucking tax dollars that went into controlling the crowd, to solving the transit problem, to the fucking clean up of the whole downtown core. There were burning cars!!! POLICE CARS BEING BURNED!!! These hooligans are fucking losers and do not represent the whole city of Vancouver, or even hockey fans. I think the most unfortunate thing is that while it started out as a few trouble makers, the stupid humans around them were encouraged to join in. Stupid group think behaviour. The saddest part is that there were so many people who weren’t participating, standing around taking pictures… which wouldn’t be a problem. EXCEPT NOT DISPERSING AND GETTING OUT OF THE WAY MADE THINGS HARDER FOR THE POLICE TO CONTROL. I know some of them wanted “photographic evidence” to help the police out, but that was just fucking insane that they didn’t just GO HOME. One reporter from CTV asked a couple of 19 year olds why they were still hanging around, since they claimed that the whole thing was “embarrassing”. They said they couldn’t find transit downtown. What freakin’ bullshit. Truth is, they just wanted to hang around because they thought the whole thing was shits and giggles and when you’re put on national television, what are you going to tell them “Yeah, this is all one big party to me! Let’s loot on!”

I was following the news all night… from the bottles being tossed into the big screen right up until the police forced them to disperse into smaller and smaller groups until they basically chased them all out of downtown. I was in tears watching the mess that was being created in my city. I know these streets, and I know the stores they were looting. I am fucking disgusted. It’s not “Vancouver” that was rioting. It was a bunch of testosterone filled idiots who trashed everyone else’s city.

It was reported that all Vancouver liquor stores were closed at 4pm before the game began yesterday to try to keep potential rioting to a minimum.

I think you will also find that your typical Canadian hockey fan is a different sort than your typical American hockey fan. Not justifying this, but if your only experience with hockey fans is in the US, you might have an unrealistic view of the fan base as a whole.

If they had just tossed Luongo off the overpass a week ago, perhaps this whole unfortunate episode could’ve been averted.

I keed, I keed!