Jogger Pushes Pedestrian into Bus Path. Whaaa?

Yes, she’s moving to HER left which means she’s moving AWAY from him. So they are NOT doing the little oopsie dance you were describing. She was not in his way and she was moving further out of his way, and he (apparently, from what we can see in the video) deliberately moved into her path and knocked her down.

I understand that you want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but there does not seem to be much actual doubt to give.

Innocent people shouldn’t speak to police without a lawyer. It’s easier to talk your way into trouble than out of it and this guy obviously has resources.

That may well be true but there is a long way between “speak to the police” and “charged by the police” if, accompanied by a lawyer, you have proof that you were out of the country.

There was a plane crash in Germany about 15 years ago. Two planes were informed, by air traffic control and by on-board radar, that they were on a collision course. Both of them descended to try to avoid the other. If just one had flown straight and level, they’d have missed by 1,000 feet. As it was, they flew right into each other.

Maybe that’s not what happened in this case, but it does happen.

It’s a very good thing that the bus driver was attentive and able to swerve and stop. If the driver was momentarily distracted, this could have ended very badly for the lady.

This is going to be an interesting case against the runner.

Perhaps he was American and taking tips from Dear Leader.

Why did they not pick one of them and specifically tell them to descend, while telling the other one to stay where he was or ascend?

well the person arrested is American but says he didn’t do it …

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/american-investment-banker-denies-he’s-the-jogger-who-shoved-woman-into-london-traffic/ar-AApSKkK?li=BBnbfcL

The old “too many voices in my head” defence used by joggers the world over.

This reminds us the UK has more security cameras per acre than any other country. What are the odds that this is the first time he has done such a thing?

The on-board device that detects an impending collision also recommends how to avoid the collision. It told one plane to climb and the other to descend. However, the controller gave the opposite instructions. The pilot of one plane listened to the controller, the other listened to his on-board system. Each one tried so hard to go under the other that they hit.

-sigh-

Fine, so I’ll play the contrarian again. To be fair, it’s so easy to prejudge something and then finding it impossible to see anything else than what you already preconceived, that someone has to be the devil’s advocate in any situation, to avoid the hivemind effect.

I don’t think the guy went necessarily after the woman. He started sprinting, which tends to move your body to the center of the path, particularly to your dominant side. I see him moving his shoulders when he notices he’s going to collide, and a hint of him doing a dismissive “sorry” gesture with his hand after the crash. Which is douchebaggey, of course but, hey, once you’ve got a good rhythm going, having to stop sucks. I don’t think he even realized there was a bus at all.

And I think this is also the most likely explanation.

You do realize that the victim is alive, right? SHE says that he pushed her. The video supports this idea. There is a difference between being contrary and being deliberately obtuse.

Yes there is.

There is.

For instance, I’m not saying he didn’t push her. You didn’t read me write he didn’t push her. I’m saying that he didn’t go after her intentionally. I’m saying he miscalculated the distance in the middle of a sprint, and then pushed her out of the way.

You can push someone, and that can still be accidental.

Wait- you’re saying he didn’t intentionally push her when he pushed her out of the way? That makes no sense. If he knew he was pushing her it was intentional.

Or are you saying he intentionally pushed her, but the accidental part was pushing her in front of the bus? In that case your wording was unclear.

I think that the part when I wrote “not going after her” made what I meant fairly clear.

You can find someone in your path and react by pushing them out of the way. You can go after someone to deliberately push them. There’s a difference in intent.

I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt too, but what makes that difficult is that he didn’t even look back or pause or anything. He just kept right on running. That is not normal behavior. That was literally a hit and run with a side of reckless indifference.

Putney Bridge jogger push suspect eliminated from inquiry

It seems to be more complex than it first appeared.

You can - but it still makes you guilty of assault. And if you push them in front of a bus and never look back, it still leaves you open to charges like attempted manslaughter or depraved indifference. (Or it would in the US. I don’t know what the charges would be in England but I would be very surprised if they don’t have something comparable.)

It also makes you a freaking sociopath.