John Kyl to replace John McCain

That goes right up there with “inoperative statement” and “alternative facts” on the Republican Wall of Honor.

It is disgusting that Congressmen vote on issues of which they have no more knowledge than two guys arguing in a bar.

Reminds me of practically every vote for gun control, like, ever.

Oh, sure, anyone advocating strong gun control legislation is ipso facto ignorant, eh?

~ETF, gun control advocate, concealed carry permit holder, owner of three firearms :rolleyes:

We’re talking about Congressmen, not “anyone advocating”, but yes, there’s a generally high and widespread level of ignorance there too. I’ll note also that my comment included the modifier “practically”. I’m open to the possibility of a rare exception.

In other words, “The only good Republican is a dead Republican.”

I wouldn’t go that far. Michael Steele has shown himself to be intelligent and honorable after stepping down from the RNC, Steve Schmidt likewise and he even showed there is some hope for redemption among some Republicans. So there are a few worth saving. For the vast treasonous majority, their lives would not be missed in the slightest.

He really is a good choice. He was already a Senator who retired rather than was voted out. He already has said that he’s not running in 2020. He’s a place-holder that was friendly with McCain. He’s someone that already knows the job and won’t benefit from an incumbent bump in the next election. There was zero chance that it wouldn’t be a Republican conservative, so with that as a parameter, it’s actually a pretty impressive pick. He’s basically putting in a qualified interim until the people of Arizona can choose a viable replacement and that’s about as good an outcome as one could expect.

Charlie Baker, governor of Massachusetts, and a majority of Bay State citizens would beg to differ with that. As of June 1:

Granted, outside of these here (mostly) blue environs Baker would be a moderate Democrat; still…

He’s been sick for a while. He could have resigned in time for an election to be held. But of course, given the current political climate, that might have put a Democrat in the seat.

He knew he was going to die a few months ago. For all the talk about McCain’s principles, his last political act was to delay just long enough to not let his replacement be elected for another two years.

Kyl to resign December 31.

Governor likely to appoint McSally to serve the remaining two years of the term.

What does this remind me of – some previous situation when someone lost a close race (Congress? Senate?), then was appointed to a position of equal or higher power? (I’m not thinking of primary challengers given cabinet positions or VP slots in a new administration).

Howard Metzenbaum in 1974?

Jon Kyl’s lobbying career has certainly been spruced up during 4 month temporary stay in the Senate. He lives in DC and has taken but a single trip back to Arizona. Due to a loophole, Kyl did not make a full financial disclosure before taking office, though he did make noise in favor of low yield nuclear weapons, which for some reason would benefit the sort of contractors he lobbies for. https://theintercept.com/2018/12/10/jon-kyl-senator-arizona/

Thanks — no. I must have been thinking of John Ashcroft’s 2000 Senate loss (to a corpse), soon thereafter appointed Attorney General of the US.

Everyone knows that Ducey has his eye on that Senate seat in 2020. McSally ran a weak campaign, so perhaps Ducey appoints her with the expectation of challenging her in the primary.