Justice League (no spoiler in OP, after that free-for-all)

I’m a Flash fan as well, but I have to say that Days of Future Past still has the best speed sequence. However, I do like that Barry mentioned his metabolism and hunger a couple of times. That never seems to get addressed in the TV series.

Actually, they talked about it lot in season one. It still comes up very occasionally, but other than making it a running gag, I’m not sure that it needs to be mentioned more than once or twice a season to let new viewers know about it. Kind of like his alcohol immunity.

[quote=“Bryan_Ekers, post:2, topic:801988”]

Favourite moment - when Flash tries to flank the newly resurrected Superman and realizes Superman can see him trying it.

Least favoure moment: the post-credit scene with the escaped Luthor, in part because I think Jesse Eisenberg is a terrible casting choice,…/QUOTE]

That was a great moment.

Yes, he may be good in other parts, but not a good Luthor at all. Of course, every part of Batman vs uSperman that *didn’t *have Wonder Woman in it was pretty much shit anyway.

Maybe he was weakened from his long exile?

And they were punching him and sending him flying, but they really didn’t seem to be making any actual progress until Superman freeze-breathed his ax, allowing WW to shatter it.

They had him very hungry at first but then as the storyline progressed Flash gained more control of the speed force and used that.

If they had to cut for time, they could (should!) have cut the entire Russian family. What did they add? I kept wondering if they were some characters from the comics that I didn’t know about. But then, they were just there as surrogate protectees. Aww, the super friends have a heart. The world is saved, in microcosm.

A question I’ve been meaning to ask since Christian Bale’s Batman - are we not supposed to notice the panda makeup around his eyes when Batman is wearing the mask? Because whenever he takes it off they never show him either using makeup wipes or walking around looking like Bat-Ling-Ling.

Like Bruce, I really didn’t not dislike this movie. I didn’t notice the bad cgi as much I guess. My biggest complaint is it, like Lego Batman, is just too busy. There’s too much going on to follow. I’m sure the animators put a lot of effort in those fight scenes. There’s probably tons of cool detail. But it happens so fast, and just keeps happening. It never stops.

Of course, the reason is (other than cool visuals) is that it never gives you time to think “how come Batman wasn’t killed there?” or “did the batmobile just defy the laws of physics”? or “if Superman can punch that hard, why doesn’t Steppenwolf go right through the wall?”

I hate villains that are gods. There’s really no way to win. The powers are too one-sided. The only reason the heroes win is strength of plot. And, as usual, the fight winner is determined by who can punch harder. I guess it’s just too hard to film Superman or Batman winning through superior planning or brain power.

In this modern era, even Sherlock Holmes has to punch out people.

Favourite moment - when Flash tries to flank the newly resurrected Superman)) I think all movie very cool. I like it more,then Thor

And how hard Diana can crash her bracelets together, apparently. In the thread for the Wonder Woman movie, I described some ideas I had for Ares that I thought would have made his motivation and defeat less contrived. For this movie, they got closer in the sense that the Parademons could sense fear and would attack someone feeling it, hence the defeat of Steppenwolf means conquering your own fear and making him afraid, so the Parademons turn on him. There was a bit of this in the movie, but it seemed to rely more on punching and bracelet-crashing.

Expanding slightly on this. maybe Steppenwolf was harder to defeat the first time he came to Earth because among the Gods attacking him were Ares and Ares’ sons Deimos and Phobos, who inadvertently weakened their own side by being gods of fear. Steppenwolf was only driven away when the armies of Earth put Deimos and Phobos aside, plus Ares himself since Ares was in the battle just for the sake of the battle itself.

I’d say that if you took this film and judged it solely on its own merits, it rates about as well as the first Avengers movie. The writing is quite as tight, and there’s some more plot holes, but really, as a vehicle for collecting a bunch of familiar characters into one place so they can punch things, it does fine.

The problem comes when you judge them as part of a connected and on-going franchise.

I love the Avengers, but it only works because it was preceded by a great Iron Man movie, a pretty good Captain America movie, and a movie that definitely had Thor in it. Justice League was preceded by a great Wonder Woman movie, and movies with Superman and Batman in them that even this film is kind of pretending don’t exist. They references some of the events of the other films, but they seem to be trying really hard to steer away from “ambivalent, brooding Superman,” and “gun-loving murder Batman.” (Although this Batman does still love him some guns, at least he’s using them on parademons, which have always fallen under one of the exception clauses to Batman’s “no killing” rule) I really like the Batman and Superman we got in this film, but it feels a lot like we’ve only just met them.

Same with most of the cast. Jason Momoa’s Aquaman doesn’t really have any characterization beyond, “Aggro surf bro.” Cyborg’s even thinner. He’s angry at his dad, and not thrilled to be missing 90% of his body, but the movie doesn’t go anywhere with those ideas, even when Cyborg’s dad is captured and held hostage. Ezra Miller’s Flash is the closest this film comes to introducing a fully realized character, and is the only one who displays a character arc and some degree of personal growth. I really liked him, and look forward to his solo movie, assuming they can hold on to any one director long enough to complete it.

Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman remains a delight, and is the most connected to her pre-JL backstory, presumably because it’s the only recent DC movie that wasn’t an embarrassment. She also gets the other character arc in this film, which exists mostly to reconcile the backstory they set up for her in BvS (where she evidently sat out most of the 20th century) with her characterization in her own film.

In summary, Justice League’s biggest flaw isn’t in Justice League, it’s in the movies that led up to it. It’s a good indicator that DC’s finally getting their film mess straightened out, but it also makes the previous failures that much more frustrating, and reminds you how many missed opportunities brought us to this point.

This is a very good assessment.

I disagree, the action on the Marvel films is simply better from top to bottom, and the Avengers was one of the best in that department. At the end of the day this are just big action flicks and the fight scenes in the DC movies just don’t compare to their Marvel counterparts.

In all fairness, the rough cut was 3 hours and now it’s 2 hours. Most of that characterization missing from Aquaman and Cyborg went with it. We lost all of Atlantis and Cyborg’s origin.

I liked it, but it really felt truncated. I will say I’m getting so tired of the villain striving to get some thing with ultimate power that shoots beams into the sky trope. Seems like this has been going on since Howard the Duck.

I loved the movie. To me, the action sequences were great, and the humor broke it up just fine. The scene with Aquaman and Wonder Woman’s lasso was hilarious. I had not heard anything about Henry Cavill’s upper lip, but I did notice something wonky about it a couple times. Other than that, nothing really brought me out of the movie. They focused on the team, and how working together was a force multiplier, disproving Aquaman’s statement at the beginning of the movie. Yes, Superman could inflict heavy damage on Steppenwolf by himself, but it took him and Wonder Woman destroying his axe to end him. Yes, they needed Superman’s strength to separate the boxes, but only after using Cyborg’s hacking ability.

Lastly, I wanted to mention the score. I thought it was awesomely simple. They just weaved the various threads of Batman’s theme, Wonder Woman’s theme, and the iconic 1978 Superman theme to make a perfect backdrop for the action. I honestly loved the movie, and will see it again, and buy it for the extended cut when it comes out.

Couldn’t the writers have given him super-mustache-growing power? It’d go well with some of his other powers.

The Flash also had a theme reminiscent of the CW TV show. A nice tip of the hat.

Bringing in Danny Elfman was another good idea.

Yeah, Superman is basically a deus ex machine. He actually seems to have become more powerful after his resurrection. Which really isn’t a good dramatic choice. How’s it going to work in the sequel when he’ll presumably be part of the action from the start. :dubious:

Well it’s a given that there be some kind of extended addition or director’s cut on DVD & Blu-ray.

Maybe it’s me but the first attack on Steppenwolf by the gods,et al reminded me of The Lord of the Rings battle scenes. Also, the Motherboxes had a Ring smell to it

Saw it again. A few details I forgot to mention:

Loved the look of Gotham City in the opening scene. Finally it has some personality and isn’t some generic city.

This is the best incarnation of Batman in live action with regard to how he moves and looks. It is really Batman the Animated series come to life. I really hope Affleck stays. he is good in the part as both Batman and Bruce Wayne

I liked how the yellow sweater Aquaman was wearing looked like his traditional Superfriends uniform. It had to be on purpose.

Not a positive: you can really see the gender difference in directors. There are several kind of leering shots of Gal Gadot’s posterior in this. Really none like that in her solo movie.

Really enjoyed the taste we got of Green Lanterns. It was a fun Easter Egg.

If Warner Bros was smart they would Fast track (heh) their Flash film. He was a hit with both audiences I saw the movie with.

That has been a cliche in superhero movies at least since the Michael Keaton Batman movies. It is even more obvious in The Phantom.

Weta did the SFX for it, so it would not surprise me if the animators recycled some code for those scenes.

The plot was pretty shallow (Act 1: assemble the team. Act 2: resurrect Superman. Defeating the villain was almost an afterthought.) but I still enjoyed it. After the grimness of the last two Superman movies, this was a breath of fresh air.

I hate this version of the Bat-suit, but I like Ben Affleck’s portrayal of Bruce Wayne. I think Jeremy Irons looks wrong, but I love his portrayal of Alfred.

I prefer Aquaman short-haired, clean-shaven, and dressed in gold and green. But, Jason Momoa was still fun to watch. I can live with it.

Not a fan of Jessie Eisenberg’s portrayal of Lex Luthor. He seems to embody the goofier aspects of the character from the kid-friendly era of the 50s and 60s. On the other hand, that gives me hope that we may get to see him wearing green pants and a purple disco shirt. (What can I say? I was an impressionable kid in the 1970s.) I am intrigued by the introduction of Deathstroke the Terminator.