Kasich Calls GOP a 'Joke'

The money quote:

Well, Governor, the House GOP has voted to repeal Obamacare several dozen times. So that makes them a big joke.

And in December, the Senate GOP caucus joined them, with 52 out of 54 GOP Senators voting to repeal Obamacare.

So sure, it’s a joke, Governor, but your whole party’s a part of the joke.

Maybe if practically your whole party is a joke, you should leave it?

Or attempt to fix it from the inside, if you don’t see a viable alternative?

The problem is, there has to be a nontrival constituency that agrees that the party is broke for the same reasons he does. And there isn’t one any more. As conservative as Kasich is, the party’s moved so far to the right that it’s just not his party any more.

Maybe he should have spoken up after the first 15 or 20 times the House passed bills repealing Obamacare. It’s a bit late now. At this point, he can either bang his head against a brick wall from the inside, or leave.

The joke is on the republican party members who pursued this policy of spending there time trying to repeal Obamacare when they knew they couldn’t follow through, instead of pursuing other agendas. The joke is that they risk losing their chance at the Presidency and the Supreme Court nominations that will go along with it. There is also a risk that they will lose the Senate, all in the name of upholding Republican values. By blindly holding onto their beliefs pass a reasonable point they may lose their position to effectively make the changes they wanted. Ha ha. Kasich is merely pointing this out.

The part that he needs to clarify then is, that if he does actually get an ACA repeal on his desk, will he sign it? I share his views about the GOP in general being a joke these days, but the promise to repeal ACA is no joke. If he’s elected and the GOP keeps the Senate, they’ll put it on his desk.

The joke was voting dozens of times to put it on the desk of someone they knew wouldn’t sign it.

Mountain out of a mole hill much? You’re taking one sentence out of all the things Kasich has said over the whole campaign and saying he should change his entire outlook because of it? Give me a break. If FoxNews had taken a quote from a Democrat and spun it the way you did, including leading with a factually incorrect headline like your thread title, you’d be pissing all over it.

Look, he said what he said, and either he walks it back, or he’s basically said that his party has put a prodigious amount of effort into a continuing joke. They’ve campaigned on that joke (as he said flat-out) and they’ve acted on it.

No, I don’t think he should change his entire outlook. I’m saying that if he means what he said, then his outlook has already changed. The GOP Congressional caucus has basically spent the past few years masturbating in public, with all those ‘repeal Obamacare’ votes. Everybody knows it, and now Kasich has admitted it. Maybe he should acknowledge the implications of his words.