laptop screen damage question

Some of you may remember early this summer when I pitted my roommates cat for whizzing on my laptop screen, and the ensuing pain in the butt of cleaning the laptop…Well. It left 4 circles of damage running across the bottom of the screen, one quarter size, one 50 cent piece size one silver dollar size and one about 2 inches in diameter, with some damaged spots along the bottom and top edge. I have noticed that odly enough the damage across the top edge of the screen ‘healed’ itself, and much of the damage along the bottom edge of teh screen did so as well.

I though that i was imaging things with the largest spot of damage moving around slightly, so I made a word doc that if put up fullscreen outlined the damaged parts, and noticed that in fact the largest damage area was moving slowly towards the top of the screen at a glacial rate.

When I logged in this morning, the circle moved a full 2 inches towards the top of the screen :eek:

Now I was sort of wondering, if the dot makes it all the way to the top of the screen and ‘heals’ itself, which would be great…why arent the other damage areas moving? Would it ‘heal’ faster if I left the computer on all the time in some form of screensaver mode? turned off but lit up instead of closed?

And a second sort of question…I have a microtek 15" diagonal lcd screen monitor that died - it got dimmer and dimmer. It is the same size as the laptop screen FWIW=) Did the screen itself die, or did the mechaniwockles pushing electrons die? and if the mechaniwockles died, would it be possible to use the screen part to replace the damaced screen part on my laptop?

Enquiring nongeek minds would love answers…Though on a bright spot, I might be in the running for an actual job and be able to actually buy a replacement laptop=) at which point this all becomes moot !

1: Electronics don’t typically “heal”. There’s probably something else going on.

2: Re the LCD monitor it’s likely either one of the main components died or the backlight (also a component) failed. You can tell if it’s just a backlight failure as you should still be able to see a very faint image of the display in a stong light.

3: It’s very unlikely the LCD screen components can be swapped.

About moving damage. What I suspect is that there is still stuff between the outer protective plastic screen and the actual LCD front. This “material” moves around based on the distance between the two in the “sandwich” changing. I would have to see it first hand to see if this is the case though. It is possible in some situations to disassemble the screen enough to clean inbetween.

About LCD substitutes: There are only a small number of major LCD screen maker OEMs. So a lot of companies use the same parts but with their label stuck on it. If it is the same part from the same maker, then a sub is possible. But otherwise it is not likely. All in all, small chance that this can be done, but not totally unlikely.