Las Vegas judge gets attacked by defendant

I saw this on Law Talk With Mike’s stream today.

Upon hearing the judge deny probation and is sending him to jail, he rushes the judge and goes full Superman over the bench. Either court security was out of position or they were caught napping. Fortunately, the judge’s clerk was on the ball and almost stopped him but did hinder him and allowed the bailiffs time to intervene. Still took some time to get him off of her and controlled. And the clerk just whaled on him the whole time.

Full video
Just the attack.

According to the Las Vegas District Court, Judge Holthus experienced some injuries and her condition is being monitored. The marshal sustained injuries and has been transported to the hospital.

Well, that should put the kibosh on getting bail reconsidered.

The defense attorney tried the “He’s had mental health treatment and I think he’s safe to be in public” gambit.
BIG oops.

That poor lady. I hope she’s ok.

Pretty sure that’s NOT the way to ask for leniency…

Insanity plea?

Looked like he sprung off of a trampoline.

In fairness, the judge had already closed the lid on all that by that point. Still, though, doesn’t look good.

Sure seems she got her ruling correct on this one.

I saw this video on Reddit, that was some lucha libre action right there.

She likely has a concussion. I think all credit goes to the law clerk that it wasn’t worse. Once it was apparent the dude was coming over the bench, he moved quick to protect his judge. It looked like he got him off her quick and bought time for help to arrive. He tried to get the attacker in a headlock, threw punches to the kidneys and check out his face when he was dealing out the hammer fists. He was in a rage.

Yeah…that clerk deserves a raise (or at least get taken out to a nice dinner). Above and beyond his duties.

I found this (about halfway down)which identifies the law clerk. A search on his name brings up his LinkedIn and the photo matches the person in the video.
His name couldn’t be more fitting for this situation.
Michael Lasso.

They should have been forewarned by his Moby Grape t-shirt.

So, with Nevada’s 3-strikes law, and this being his 3rd felony, the judge had basically sentenced him to life without parole, pre-attack, right? Makes the “I have nothing to lose” logic somewhat more logical, albeit still ballistic.

1. Life without any possibility of parole;
  2. Life with the possibility of parole after the criminal has served a minimum of ten years; or
  3. A set sentence of twenty-five years with the possibility of parole after he had served a minimum of ten years.

Watch Court Cam
You’ll see lots of defendants going ape shit in court.
Of course the judge is always in their line of fire.
Lots beat the crap out of their attorneys.

Yeah, I like to watch this stuff.

I didn’t know Nevada still had trial by combat, but in hindsight I’m not surprised.

Shouldn’t the judge have a say in that? Though she could have her clerk be her champion.

I believe the precedent is that if the choice of violence is offered and accepted, her law clerk may then tear the head off the antagonist. This precedent was set in a dispute over the relavitely minor matter of trial venue, so decapitation seems like a minimal response under these circumsntances.

Any diligent court reporter will have be aware of the cinematographic potential and will have placed a camera inside the floor drain below the bench to capture an artistic view of the severed head with blood dripping into the drain for the youtube video.