Latest McCain Desparation: Obama Wants Reparations for slavery...

The evidence is a radio program from several years ago in which Obama says reparations to descendants of slaves aren’t remotely possible. The logical gap there is part of the despair, but note that this pushes the race envelope a little bit, and portends a long ugly finish to the game. McCain is done with “hail mary” passes which might win the game, and is now on to eye-gouging and cheap shots.

(Can a mod add “for slaver” to my thread title? Thx)

That seems like it’s going to be a pretty tough row to hoe for the McCain campaign. It’s not like they can whip out a quote where Obama demands reparations. They are relying on interpretations that the Obama camp seems to be defending quite well.

This will only serve to fire up those already ablaze. Preaching to the choir, if you will.

The article doesn’t really make clear which part I’m supposed to get upset by. Obama discusses the Warren court and its decisions based upon negative liberties, explaining that the courts have not really defined what rights we must have. He transitions from that to state that courts are a bad use of the creation of social or economic reparations and that these activities must be done on the ground level through comunity organization and the like.

So where’s the controversy? Seriously, I’m not seeing what the problem is. If anything, Obama’s agreeing with the very tenet that the Right has been spouting for years now: no more activist judges!

Methinks someone in the McCain camp is armed with Nexus-Lexus and “redistribute the wealth” spot-welded into his cut-and-paste clipboard.

Why even bother saying something like this?

Obama on reparations in a debate in South Carolina last year:
I think the reparations we need right here in South Carolina is investment, for example, in our schools. I did a… (APPLAUSE) I did a town hall meeting in Florence, South Carolina, in an area called the corridor of shame. They’ve got buildings that students are trying to learn in that were built right after the Civil War. And we’ve got teachers who are not trained to teach the subjects they’re teaching and high dropout rates. We’ve got to understand that there are corridors of shame all across the country. And if we make the investments and understand that those are our children, that’s the kind of reparations that are really going to make a difference in America right now.

Another quote from 2007:
“The best reparations we can provide,” he said, “are good schools in the inner city and jobs for people who are unemployed.”

I think the New Yorker also did a piece about his time as a professor where his students indicated he felt reparations were unworkable. This is a losing argument, and not that I think anything the McCain camp says will make a difference at this point, but there must be a better use of their time.

Okay, we get it. You don’t like McCain.

I agree with the part of your post that I snipped, but not that this is necessarily a losing argument. Senator McCain’s current strategy is desperate but also rational. No longer does he seek to appeal to the base. He seeks to energize persons whose racism and xenophobia will prevent them from voting for Senator Obama, without being seen to say “nigger, nigger.” He needn’t care about progressives, because they wouldn’t vote for him anyway. His best strategy is to do whatever it takes to get persons who despise Obama because of race to turn out in droves.

You know, that’s kind of bullshit. If it were just a matter of not liking McCain, this thread would have been about his mishapen right cheek, or his thinning hair or something.

What is not legitimate about bringing up this seemingly desperation-move from the McCain campaign?

If so, he’s an idiot, because there’s nothing that could scare those people more than a black candidate anyway. I think the strategy is to scare white voters who are leaning for Obama that he’s going to take their money and give it to black folks, which is a little different than what you’re suggesting. But it strikes me as a waste of time and there have to be more sensible appeals he can make at this stage.

[bolding mine]

I wrote he has to ENERGIZE them, not scare them. Such persons are already scare, but there is a tendency towards lethargy in humans he needs to combat. On any day that voting is possible, Senator McCain needs such people to be thinking, “A nigger’s about to get in White House! Screw everything else for the day; I gotta go vote!”

Also, is this another McCain campaign trial balloon that will go over like a lead balloon and never be used? He should just do things or don’t. He seems to be getting the worst of both worlds when he engages in these trial thingies.

I actually don’t dislike him at all, and said nothing of the kind in my OP.

Right- but nothing is going to energize them (or scare them - the “energizing” comes from being scared) more than Obama’s existence. I don’t think anybody believes there are enough of those racists to overcome these large gaps in the polls.

Again, I think that the electorate is suffering from “outrage fatigue.” There may be those who are already outraged, and look forward to the daily outrage about Obama to their personal religion of Nobamaism, but few are going to change their mind now over something like this. Even meta-outrage seems to be flickering… we now find ourselves watching McCain with more objective interest, like a child watching an upside-down turtle trying to right itself.

At the moment McCain hasn’t done what you think he’s going to do. So far, no story here.

An effective metaphor for the man has been eluding me for some time now. I applaud your greatness.

There’s very good eating on one of these, you know.

Replicant!

Even if it’s a god?

Becuase your whole OP is based upon this tiny little shred “Today, aides say, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., will seize on some of those remarks, as hyped by Mr. Drudge.”

We don’t know what remarks about* what* are those “McCain will seize upon”. Or as The Flying Dutchman sez "At the moment McCain hasn’t done what you think he’s going to do. So far, no story here."
When this breaks for real, come back with some facts, OK?