Latest 'Simpsons' jumped the shark thread with cliches

I know that it has probably been done to death here. But I have not been watching the Simpsons much for the last 3 years. Have not watched a new complete episode for 7 years. And I have not been reading about them.
The Simpsons jumped the shark long ago. How can we get the show cancelled? There have been fan movements to restart TV shows. Why not a fan movement to have a show cancelled !
I keep watching the first 10 minutes of the new simpsons show before I realise I have better things to do.
I have just watched the whole episode with Ricky Gervais-‘Homer Simpson, This is Your Wife’. No laughs there.

I starting watching the Simpsons on The Tracey Ullman Show and I have watched every episode from the first 8 series about 10 times each. I own 2 of the music CDs from the show and two t-shirts( one of which is 18 years old). Those are my qualifications to talk about the show

If you don’t watch it, it’s cancelled for you.

Judging by the Simpsons threads here in Cafe Society, the consensus seems to be that the latest season was actually an improvement over those that immediately preceded it, and numerous episodes were well worth watching.

The Gervais episode was, depending on who you ask, either not up to par or funny if you were already familiar with Gervais.

Cancel The Simpsons to bring back Futurama? Okay, I might talk about that.

Cancel The Simpsons to bring back Oliver Beene? No thanks.

Why would you want to get a show canceled? If enough other people don’t like it that they stop watching it, then it will be canceled. But since people are still watching (according to the ratings), apparently some people still enjoy it. I happen to be one of them.

Just don’t watch and move on with your life.

Here’s a bottle of hair dye, a ticket for the next train out of town and your new social security number. There’s no time to say goodbye to your family! Go! Go! Go before it gets ugly!

I’d like to know what’s wrong with the Simpsons. No, really. We’re a bit behind on the broadcasting here in Sweden - I’m not sure how far exactly - but I’ve been reading these “Simpsons jumped the shark” threads since I first started posting here over three years ago, and we’re not that far behind. Not even close. And I think the show has gotten better and better all the time. Now, some of this is because I’ve watched the older episodes so many times, but still I claim that it’s as good as ever, probably better.

So: what’s wrong with the show? Why is everybody saying it has jumped the shark?

The vast majority on Jump The Shark.com consider that the show has not jumped the shark.

That includes me.

Really obnoxious OP.

Bingo. Besides, if they cancel The Simpsons, that’ll leave room for The War at Home to move up to the 8pm slot. I know most people on this board would shoot themselves in the face if that happened.

Thoroughly obnoxious.

I don’t quite get people that say that haven’t watched any episodes in the last 7 years. There’s no question that the overall quality of the show has gone down. But if you’ve refused to watch, you’ve missed some of my favorites like:

Season 11: Guess Who’s Coming to Critisize Dinner
Editor: [laughs]
Homer: Well, what do you think?
Editor: This is a joke, right? I mean this is the stupidest thing I’ve ever read!
Homer: What’s wrong with it?
Editor: You keep using words like “Pasghetti” and “Momatoes” You make numerous threatening references to the UN and at the end you repeat the words “Screw Flanders” over and over again.
Homer: Oh, it’s so hard to get to 500 words.

Season 12: Homer Vs. Dignity

Lenny: Ow! My eye! I’m not supposed to get pudding in it.

Season 13: Homer the Moe

Professor: Look at that pond. Why doesn’t water sparkle so?
I’m dying, Moe.
Moe: Is, is there anything I can do?
Professor: No, unless you have a cure for cancer. Do you have a cure for cancer? 'Cause that would be great!

Season 14: C. E. D’oh
Season 15: Co-dependent’s Day

And so forth.

Like SNL, The Simpsons has proven that they can have off-seasons followed by better seasons. Are they likely to ever return to the height of their creativity? Maybe not, but I still do enjoy the shows enough to keep watching.

Well, Futurama IS coming back (Comedy Central, in 2008), so no worries about the Simpsons leaving. :wink:

Well then. There’s no reason to talk about cancellation at all!

Just remember, a bad season of The Simpsons is better than a good season of damn near anything else.

Yeah, that’s what I meant, should have made myself more clear. (D’oh! :smack:) Since Futurama’s going to another network, we can have both shows. No need to cancel the Simpsons at all. I’d rather see Family Guy leave to make room if that’s what it takes.

No need to try to get the Simpsons cancelled; isn’t the word supposed to be that it’s going to end whenever the movie comes out?

I agree that the Simpsons is really not the show it used to be. I’m sick of extreme-stupid Homer, and the weird thing is that the creators of the show seem to know that and are sick of him too – they talk about it often on the DVD commentaries. Oh well. Still, I want the Simpsons to be on as long as possible – why not? it’s already lost a chance of going out on top, and besides, it’s been a fixture of my TV viewing habits since I was a kid and I can’t imagine it not being there.

To quote The Simpsons:
*Hey you, let’s fight!

Them’s fightin’ words!*

Don’t take away my Family Guy (again). If you’re going to cancel any other cartoon for Fox to see new Futurama, take American Dad.

I never would have even considered that the show was getting worse if I hadn’t heard people complaining about it on the internet. I’ve been watching the old episodes as they’re released on DVD in the UK (I’m up to season 8), and there are plenty of crummy episodes. It’s humour may seem slightly dated, but you’d expect something from something which was formulated almost 20 years ago.

That said, I’ll admit that Homer has definitely changed - somebody in these forums hit the nail on the head. He hasn’t necessarily become more stupid, but definitely less likeable. In one of the commentaries, the developers remark that Homer is like a dog - stupid and impulsive, but forgivable. In the new episodes he’s always scheming - more human, in short.

On the other hand, why does it seem that every old episode shown on British television is from season one? IMO, the first season was way worse than anything that came after it.

I did not think my post was especially obnoxious. Although obviously a few people did not read it. I have seen parts of episodes in the last 7 years. After about 10 minutes of the new episodes, I realise I have better things to do than keep watching.
I am annoyed by people saying that they should not cancel the show becuase in Season 92 episode 59 there was one good joke. Give me a break!
What I am saying is that the network have a team of talented, creative people working on the Simpsons. The team is making shite. I say -cancel the Simpsons and put that team onto a brand new show.
Another point I was going to make was - Fawlty Towers vs MASH. Fawlty Towers was the best sitcom ever. They did not make the mistake of going on for years and years.
M
ASH was one of the best shows ever in the first two seasons. But went down and down and down. It was still worth watching. But overall I would have been happier if they had stopped after two seasons.

[~Lydia from 4 Weddings and a Funeral]
I was promised cliches.
[/~Lydia from 4 Weddings and a Funeral]

I’m sorry that you’ve lost your sense of humor, but the Simpsons is still damn good. Yeah, it’s not as consistently brilliant as seasons 4-8, but it’s still really good. There have been a few episodes that were not only subpar, but seemed to monkey way too much with the tone of the show, which explains a lot of the hatred over the past 7 years or so. But those episodes don’t represent the series as whole, most of the new episodes are very much like what they’ve always been doing.

And what makes you think that this “team of talented, creative people” would be making something better if they worked on another show? You don’t like what they’re doing now, and they didn’t magically lose their talent and creativity when they started working on the Simpsons. I’d say the problem lies with you.