Learning To Love Yourself (How Did You Do It?)

It starts with the deeply held belief that I am the smartest man on earth, no offense to our dear Cecil. Not necessarily the most book-smart, or even the most all around intelligent. In there somewhere, I know that my perspective on the world is more accurate than anyone else’s, even if I can’t put it into words as well as others. I also seem to have the unique (in my experience) ability to look at a situation from someone else’s point of view and know what they would think about it. You might call it ‘fierce individualism’, and now that I write it out, it certainly sounds like conceit, but I really don’t think it is. It’s more like the Ultimate in Self-Confidence. When I make a decision, or come to a conclusion on something, I don’t just think it’s the correct one, I know it is. Sometimes it takes a long time to come to a conclusion, but that’s the price you pay. I could do something that in retrospect will seem so stupid or immature, but I know deep down that it was the right thing to do at the time, and if not, it must be a glitch in the matrix. It’s like I’ve always known I was different in this way, but instead of feeling bad about it, I thought it was great. Maybe I’m just around a bunch of idiots and I think I’m great in comparison. Maybe everybody else thinks this too, and I never bothered to talk to anyone about it. I’m sure there’s more than a little misanthropism involved in how I feel about myself. I love myself because I know that I’m unique, and not only am I special, but I’m important, even if only to me. The rest of you will come around. :wink:

There’s more to it, but I think I’ve made myself enough of a stuck up jerk for today.

and decided to contribute my part also.

For me this is an ongoing struggle. Everyone has had difficulties in life to some extent, and are better prepared to deal with them if their self-esteem is high.

I voluntarily spent three weeks in a psychological ward of a hospital nearly fourteen years ago. I learned a lot from the classes, therapy and groups. I think I learned the most from a kind, gentle man, a fellow “client” (as we were called) in his mid thirties who had suffered much pain in his life, and had been on thorazine and other anti-psychotic drugs for a long time. I asked him how he dealt with the pain in his life, and he said “Forgiveness is the only possible answer.”

I think that even if one does not have excellent self-esteem, forgiving others, but especially, forgiving oneself, can be invaluable.

I wanted to add one thing:

Emotions come and go. They are not your reality. Yeah, I understand that sometimes chemical imbalances make those emotions your reality, but the large part of life is realizing that your emotions can just confuse the issue. Sometimes they have to be put aside.

I know that I have up and down days and sometimes I just have to recognize the feelings for what they are: just feelings. I try to not let them color my perception of situations.

One other thing, probably the most important, was something that I read in C.S. Lewis’ The Screwtape Letters. It was a statement by the elder devil to his nephew that was a very profound truth (my paraphrase, since I don’t have the book right here - I’ll try to bring it from home tomorrow):
“Life is flux. It changes. Nothing remains the same forever, but it is our duty [as devils] to make them think that today’s temptation, today’s emotion, today’s struggle, will last forever and that they will never win. Never mind that it’s not true, never mind that things swing from one extreme to the other, make them think it will be all they’ll ever experience…”

Again, my paraphrase (and a really bad one at that).

Zenster, thanks for opening this thread. I’ve always wanted to share some of these things when I see threads where people are really hurting, but didn’t want to give advice unasked for or sound preachy.

Still working on it.
I’ll get back to you.

Well, I’ve realized the importance, I suppose. But I don’t love myself. Heck, sometimes I downright loathe me, but not too often.
I suppose I realized it was important when my friends and family started worrying about me.

Nope, not in the least. Not too say that my parents aren’t great and I love them, but in my few years…stable and rational are not words I would use to describe my family life.

I am almost never sure of myself. I got a 98% on an exam last week and I was thinking, “What happened with that half-mark…” I tend to need validation to realize something I do is good, and usually still think it’s crap. And since I do well, people tend to only criticize what I do. Hence, that’s what I do. Nothing I do is good, I’m not good.
Put me in the “don’t love myself” pile. Why? My own ghosts (and I seem to have quite a few). Some of them are stupid, some not. I don’t think I’ll go into more of them here, though. I feel guilty enough about burdening my friends with them.

I’ve been working on it, and it’s really hard, especially when you know that you are own worst enemy and somehow your mind tries to destroy you each day.
I work on rebutting to the voice in my mind telling me what a worthless and terrible person I am, but sometime’s it deosn’t work the best.

Aside from that, I have loving friends and a supportive boyfriend whose been with me during most of my struggles in the past 6-7 months.
I think I answered the best I could at the moment.

Happy 3,000 , Zenster.

I printed this out and took it home so I could read it carefully before posting.
And guess what?

I don’t really need to reply because ** Jekeira ** pretty much said everything I would have said.
Except she forgot to mention Bjork. Bjork makes me feel loved, she makes me think I rock.

oh yes- and Digital Muse-

I have an evil clone who lives in my head and tell sme how horrible i am. You know what I did?

I made her a body out of duct tape and newspapers, and put her in that body. Her name is Susan Bananahands.

And whenever I need to, i tell her to shut the fuck up and occasionally I feel a need to stab her with my knitting needles and kick her head off.

Then, once in a while we get along and I give her hugs.

Where to begin? How about the beginning? I will add only a few comments here and there to what is a stunning array of touching and very moving responses.

As to you Silver Fire, you are far too kind to all of us to be so unkind to yourself. 'Nuf said.

I cannot stress how important it is to be heroic in your own fashion. You must do what is admirable to yourself at least, if not to others.

[quote]
*Originally posted by BunnyGirl *
…The biggest thing I think that helped me was to realize that [list]
[li]I’ll never be like So-and-so on TV[/li][li]I don’t have to please everyone all the time (I was a big perfectionist)[/li][li]Some people’s opinions really don’t matter[/li][li]The opinions of Madison Avenue and the media are unrealistic and don’t fit with my lifestyle…[/li][/quote]

I’m compelled to quote Tom Clancy;

Raus mit der verschluginer hindsight silent_rob!

Thanks to so many of you for posting such excellent and honest replies. I am truly glad that I spent so long coming up with this thread’s topic. I have done my best to extract the passages that resonated the most with me. I too, have finally learned to listen to my inner voice. And what it is saying right now is to head over to the pit and flame Mr Cynical for the handsbreadth (if he’s lucky) depth of his own reply. He’s guilty of far more flameworthy misdeeds than this, but that is another matter.

I was stunned to see such SDMB icon’s as Silver Fire and Spider Woman reveal their own trials and tribulations and I am deeply honored that so many of you bared your souls in the hope of staving off some of the agony that others undoubtly are going through.

To those who posted such constructive answers I will say that I am grateful to receive such well thought out responses to what is obviously a difficult question. Keep 'em coming folks!

PS: Thanks Turp!

Damn my poor German! All I know how to say is “please don’t kill me.” Though I like the quote; tis very true. A rhetorical question to myself: does my hard work ethic make my perfectionist nature redundant and hurtful, or does my hard work ethic come from my perfectionist nature? I’ve always just said, “I’m a perfectionist,” and that’s been the end of it. Never really thought about it before.

It’s amazing how accurately this captures my feelings at my own “internal realignment.”

Basically, the root of my depression went back to my father. Physically and emotionally abusive, distant yet omnipresent, you know the drill. Suddenly, one day, something went click in my head and heart, and I realized his abusive behavior wasn’t my fault. It had nothing to do with me. It had everything to do with his own problems and his own hatred of himself. Click.

Of course, like Rue DeDay says, the hard part came next: I had to re-learn how to perceive myself, the world, my family, my father, etc. – I had to modify the way I processed incoming information. Once I had the core realization about disconnecting my self-worth from my father’s abuse, though, things started falling into place like the ball on the roulette wheel.

Specific responses:

What was it that made you realize the importance of loving yourself? Basically, I decided I was tired of being miserable. Really, it started when I had a brush with death at the age of 19. My lung repeatedly collapsed, and I ended up being rushed to the hospital for hours and hours of emergency surgery. Nothing like a near-death experience to eliminate a teenager’s self-centered I’m-indestructible worldview.

Anyway, that started me thinking about how I saw myself, and how I dealt with the world. I then enrolled in arts college for an acting degree, and of course, as an actor, I am my own instrument. My resources are inside myself. If I don’t know myself, I can’t be a flexible, honest actor. I slowly discovered I had problems with joy, with simplicity and stillness, and my exploration of these weaknesses led me directly to the epiphany described at top.

Were you among the fortunate that had stable and rational families to nurture this? Nope. My father, as stated, is a jagoff, though I see him as more pathetic than evil. My brother is royally screwed up, emotionally (also due to the abuse) and physically (because of an extremely bad-luck and rare genetic disease). My mom has problems of her own; part of my epiphany was realizing that I was progressing past her level of emotional maturity. She appreciated my progress, but she couldn’t tell how I was doing it, and she had no idea how to help or support me. As of right now, her behavior is actually fairly self-destructive, and negatively impacts me and my wife. I love them all, but I did this on my own.

Was there an underlying strata of coherence and consistent philosophy that enabled you to be sure of yourself? Yes; it was part of the click described above. It can be summed up as follows: I am entirely responsible for my own emotional state. I have no responsibility for others’ emotional states. I will be good and fair and balanced with other people, but if they choose to be unhappy or angry, it isn’t my problem; I can’t change them or how they feel about the world. Similarly, if they try to make me unhappy or angry, I can choose to reject those attempts. My happiness is my responsibility, and mine alone.

For those of you who came to love yourselves later in life, what precipitated this event? Described above, re my hospital stay, followed by acting training, which led directly to my epiphany regarding the root of my unhappiness. Again: Whether or not my father loved me, or whether or not my father showed his love (or lack) in a positive or negative way, is irrelevant to whether or not I love myself. Once I disconnected his problems from the equation, the other emotional obstacles also fell away, and my path was clear.

Were there drastic measures required to achieve it or was some other internal realignment necessary? Again, I had the advantage of being enrolled in a very focused and demanding acting program. I highly recommend this to everyone, whether or not you’re considering acting as a career. It was the best four years of my life, my artistic aspirations aside. It wasn’t intended as therapy (and in my opinion, people who treat acting as therapy are misguided and self-centered), but in order to be an effective and honest actor, I had to get myself sorted out.

Thank you, Zenster, for starting this conversation.

Here’s some excerpts from The Screwtape Letters that I mentioned, from Chapter 8. Please note (if you haven’t read the book) that this is a fictional account of the correspondence between a Senior Devil and a Junior Devil, the Junior Devil with his first “case” of temptation.

Then, from Chapter 9:

This was important to me, not just in respect to religous experience, but to life in general. It helped me realize that the days I didn’t feel like my job was worth anything, the relationship I was in sucked, or whatever, that sometimes emotions need to be ignored and the rationale behind them examined. I don’t mean to say that you are to ignore your feelings all the time; I just mean, examine why you’re feeling a certain way, don’t just accept it as Truth. Sometimes it’s just a combination of bad day + fight with lover + PMS (or whatever) = unhappiness.

I would encourage anyone interested to read the book; yes, it’s basically religous in nature but Lewis brings up some excellent phsycological points regarding human nature in general.

I’m going to make this short and sweet.

I think in order to know what heaven feels like, one must first experience hell. It’s like good and bad. One can’t exist without the other.

Maybe people have to learn how to love themselves. Life is a constant learning experience, and it’s how we apply our learning experiences to our own lives that form our perception of the world and how we see ourselves.

I think everone here has alot of good positive things to say, it’s good to see that.

Another great thread! I think that this will inspire many people and help them. Congratulations on a wonderful 3000th post.

----:)/ x o x o x
----///\\

Changes don’t happen overnight, but you can start making a difference today. Just make the decision.

Transliteration:

Knock it off with the bling-blanged hindsight silent_rob!

PS: Thanks Spidey!

I have a long answer (do you have a few hours?), a medium answer, and a short but snappy answer. I’ll try to make it short but seriously instead of snappy.

moi’s post actually sounds like I could have written it, except I was in my late teens, instead of my early teens.

I started off very unpopular and very shy as a child. I was miserable for years, trying hard to fit in and be like everyone else. By junior high, I’d decided that being just like everyone else was something to be avoided. I watched the so-called popular kids a lot, and realized that none of them thought for themselves, and in fact, seemed to be far more concious of how other people perceived them than anyone else. They made every decision based on what other people would think. I did NOT want to be like that, and tried very hard to be as different as possible. I took “weird” as a compliment. I did decide that what I needed was to act like I had self confidence. I decided, I did, and eventually, the feelings followed. By high school, I was even more popular than the “popular kids”. I had people cancel parties if I decided not to go. Strangely enough, by that time, I didn’t care anymore. Other people’s opinions of me didn’t matter anymore.

Still, in the back of my mind, some self-loathing lingered, and occasionally reared it’s ugly head. In my late teens, I went through a real depression. I guess I kind of hit rock bottom. At some point, I really had to sit myself down and ask myself if I really wanted to kill myself, live the rest of my life in depression, or do something about it. For anyone who’s really been depressed, they understand how hard it is to do something about your life when you are that low. I just had some inner strength I must have been saving for that occasion. I finally decided that since I’m stuck with myself, I might as well like myself.

It didn’t happen overnight. It takes a lot of work and effort to become the self-loving, “don’t-give-a-shit” obnoxious person I am today, but hell, I like myself just the way I am.

I am still trying. Thank you, all of you, for your thoughts and experiences. Maybe they will help me to get there.

Scotti

Isn’t learning to love yourself simply accepting the wisdom of Popeye? To wit, “I yam what I yam and that’s all that I yam.”

Maybe I’m a simple man.

Maybe it’s because I went to a Jesuit high school.

Maybe it’s because of some unlucky relationships.

I just learned to trust in myself and not to rely on others to validate me.

Simplistic? Perhaps. Practical? Yes.

The only drawback, which I am working on, is my impatience with persons with no self-confidence who equivocate over everything.

I promise every day to have more patience and understanding for them.