Least Appropriate Store Names

When i was in Rome, I walked past this store called ‘Bimbo’ all the time. It was clothes store for kids. Of course it’s a different lanuguage but it still made me smile, and if they ever branch out here they’ll need to ge a new name.

There used to be a convenience store in town called “Pump and Munch”.

Sadly, they closed down several months ago.

There’s a discount warehouse chain, like Costco, called BJ’s. Sounds more like a brothel to me.

There was a “Houlihan-ey”/“More Bar-ey TGIF” professional-crowd-afterwork place (not at all sleazy) called "Cheaters" I hated that name. I thought that it killed business - I know it did mine. I mean, who really wants to invite the co-worker, or anyone from the opsex who you don’t know really well, to that? Or tell the SO you are going to “Cheaters with friends” Sounds like a strip club.

There used to be this online store that sold software to Academic and Government users (I tried them once). Their name was soft4u.com.

Eventually, they decided to move into the hardware market and – in what was probably one of the stupidest naming decisions ever made – they tried to keep to the theme of their existing brand. So they called their new site hard4u.com.

The first time I saw that, I couldn’t believe they let that happen. I still can’t believe it. Probably explains why they disappeared after a few years… (the links above are archived versions).

“Cluck U” - which is the name of a chicken place. The one I’m familiar with is in Morristown, NJ - they might be a chain. Cracks me up every time.

VCNJ~

Heh. Terrible’s is owned by the Herbst family. “Terrible” is a nickname the family patriarch picked up and decided to use as a brand name.

There is a pretty fancy Japanese restaurant in Brookline, MA called “Fugakyu”. I don’t know how it is pronounced in Japanese, but I know a couple of ways you can say it in English and neither are good.

Johnson Wax is a brand name that makes me giggle.

Here in Kansas City there is a chain of Mexican restaurants named Chi-Chi’s. If my sources are correct, Chi Chi is also a slang term for breasts in Spanish.

Chi Chi’s is at the minimum, regional and bankrupt.

My brother used to work at a Kum 'N Go.

There’s a small restaurant nearby here named Gross’ Burgers.

There’s a restaurant in SF called** “Squat and Gobble” **, which often reminded me of some of the bad lesbian dates I’ve been on…

There’s a place in Gainesville, Florida (near UF) called Chinee Takee Outee. My husband says it was the best Chinese restaurant he’s ever been to.

E.

There’s a laundromat in LaCrosse, Wi named Willy Wash. Ok, not so bad, but this morning in the sunday paper there’s a story about a guy who got arrested there for stripping naked. He was trying to make a point about being naked or something.

Stripped naked in the Willy Wash…?? :smack:

There’s a “Hand Job Auto Detailing” in Hermosa Beach, CA. Yes, they know what it means.

There was a place out in the middle of nowhere in Colorado called Burgers and Stuff. Always wanted to go order some stuff. No burger, just stuff.

There’s a Pho restaurant around here called Pho Bich Nga.

We drove by a place in Indiana once called Raper’s Rent to Own.

My friend said, “Hey, at least they’re up front about their interest rates. They can’t say you weren’t warned.”

Here in Greensboro we have Hairport '77.

My favorite, even though it is entirely deliberate, is a company back in Lexington, KY that specializes in big-ass fans (for warehouses, and the like). Their name? Big Ass Fans. They have a huge sign that has not pleased the local constabulary.

There’s a shop called S & M Stores on Uxbridge Road in West Ealing. Unfortunately, all it sells is camping equipment.