Legal Question

My father is a very nice man in many ways but he is and always has been a sucker for “get rich quick” schemes. He recently showed me his latest find, one of those quick flip, no money down real estate plans hawked on infomercials and in Holiday Inn seminars. Being the dutiful son I checked out the company on the internet (Ron LeGrand’s Cash-Flow Generator™) and found that while not a complete fraud it does grotesquely undstate the difficulties and risks involved in investing in real estate and it does so at a ridiculously inflated price. When confronted with the information my father asked if I thought it wasn’t worth the money and I said it depended on how much he spent. I was stunned to hear he paid $1500 for three work books (with CD audios) and a three day hotel seminar which is to take place starting the 27th of this month, and from what I’ve read this seminar is a high pressure sales forum for a $9000 boot camp program (where they really tell you the good stuff).

This brings me to my question, is there a chance in hell of getting a refund? He paid with a credit card and the issuer has told him that the charged had cleared and the refund depended upon the receiving companies policy. In the paperwork he received with the workbooks is a notice that he had three days to cancel his purchase, three days that ended the 30th of last month. The company is based in Florida and my father is in Ohio. Today I wrote a letter to the company requesting a refund and directions on returning the course materials and sent to by certified mail. I currently envision a nightmare of no refund and being forced to accompany my father to this seminar in order to wrestle his wallet closed should it ever come open. Is there any hope?

If you want a refund, you’ll need your own lawyer. Short of that, you’ll probably not get a refund from the company. The fact the he won’t get a refund does not, however, automatically mean that has to go to the seminar.

Tell him he shouldn’t go because of the high pressure sales with non-gauranteed, difficult returns and let him learn an expensive lesson.

If he’d like to avoid this in the future, tell him to get rid of his credit cards. In the alternative, he may be able to ask the credit company to disallow purchases over a certain value (note: I am not sure if this feature is available, but it should be).

Thank you for your reply db4530, but if a refund is impossible it would be in my fathers character to try to salvage any possible value he could from the experience and try to learn what he could from the seminar. Unfortunately it’s also in his character to get suckered into forking over more cash.

It appears that I may have wrongly attributed this possible scam to the afore mentioned Ron LeGrand. While Mr. LeGrand does sell the Cash-Flow Generator program on this websitethe same site states that he no longer works for SDI/Success Development Internationalwhich is the company name the Better Business Bereau returned for the billing address on the course material my father showed me. The BBB also indicated that SDI has been subject to 234 consumer complaintsin the last 36 months. If that weren’t enough the Florida office of the Attorney General has a civil investigation filefor the company and list it’s status as “Investigation opened, AVC/settlement signed”. Is there anyone who could tell me what that means? I’m also unsure if the above information works for us or against us in our effort to get a refund.

You may want to just take the materials home with you and tell your dad that you got the refund, or throw away the books and tell him the seminar was cancelled and the refund is on the way. Either way he’ll probably figure it out when he doesn’t get the refund, but you’ll be saving him $9000.