Lets all March forth and rant

No, I got the one without the app. The ‘drawer full’ light is useful enough, I don’t need a phone notification too. It’s still a good piece of equipment, but it’s definitely finickier than the old kind (which is no longer available :cry:)

This happened many years before my brother became a personal chef.

Late February, my town announced that the sanitation department had some Covid related absences and would be forced to suspend recycling pickup until staff were able to return. They also announced that they would open up dropoff recycling multiple days per week, when it’s usually restricted to Saturday mornings only.

You’d think the world was ending, with the gnashing of teeth and complaints online. Angry, unreasonable, entitled people all over the place. Enter Jordan, a young man from town looking to make a few bucks, offers to pick up recycling and drop it off for a modest fee. People are thrilled that someone is going to help out in our time of “crisis”. Thank you Jordan!

March 14, recycling pickup resumes, after a 2 week hiatus.

March 18, Jordan is hospitalized with Covid.

March 24, Jordan is dead.

Maybe this rant is just about me and my headspace, but I can’t unlink this young man’s death from the entitled whining out of my town regarding this short term pandemic related loss of services. I can’t help but think if my town was populated with competent adults, this young man wouldn’t have been crisscrossing the town to meet with people, and wouldn’t have gotten this disease.

I have no proof this is what happened, but I get enraged every time I think about it.

That’s so sad :frowning: I join you in your anger.

I realize that you’re in here to rant, not get advice, but leaving the fan on while the unit isn’t cooling might not be your best option. The A/C dehumidifies by condensing water on the cold side of the heat exchanger, where it builds up and flows by gravity to a drain. It only condenses while the A/C is actually cooling. If you run the fan while the A/C isn’t in the cooling mode it passes dehumidified air from the house over the wet heat exchanger, drying it out and putting the humidity right back in the house. It’s usually best to leave it in auto during the cooling season.

That’s funny!

To be fair, while it seems like it should be obvious to anyone who has any experience in cooking, if someone is a complete novice they may be afraid to peel it first because you can’t unpeel an onion.

Common sense suggests you should peel it since I’ve never heard of anyone eating an onion skin (they’re not potatoes) but for someone who has never done it before, I can see this mistake being made out of an abundance of caution.

Thanks so much to @Spice_Weasel and @needscoffee for reminding me why I’m single. I don’t know how you put up with it, it must be true love.

For me it sure is. 19 years strong!

Haha! He ended up being a quick learner, to his credit. He’d come from a home where his mother made sure the boys never had to cook anything.

This could be used for many things. Once a friend had her grandsons fill a canoe with dirt and then plant flowers in it. She was very clear on how full the canoe had to be, how to mix the dirt and fertilizer and the depth and spacing needed.

She neglected to mention that they needed to take the plants out of the pots.

Same. Sr. Weasel’s mother is aware of his shortcomings and says it’s her fault because she always cooked for him.

I’ve already written letters of apology to give to any future daughters-in-law.

BTW, there are things you can do with onion (and garlic) skins.

[url]https://www.farmersalmanac.com/uses-onion-garlic-skins-30580[/url]

Another box of salmon steaks has been shipped, scheduled delivery tomorrow. Fingers (and fins) crossed.

If they arrive in usable condition, how are you going to cook them? I think that well smoked salmon is the most wonderful way ever, but a friend thinks that poaching served with her own garlic white sauce is better. (Hers is pretty good, but she won’t give me the recipe, so mine will be the best ever served at my house.)

That makes sense, but the problem is that the cycles are excessively long, and the one good thing about that is that when it’s on, the A/C runs for quite a long time, so it has a chance to drain out a lot of that condensed water. The fan then drops to a lower speed and may indeed put some of it back in the air, but only a little. I don’t have a problem with humidity in the summer, and the low-speed fan really does prevent the upstairs in particular from getting too warm.

I’ve been meaning to try out a new thermostat to see if it corrects the long cycle problem. I’ve had it about three years, and it’s still in its box. Many of my projects require a great deal of quiet contemplation before I actually get up off my ass to do anything. :smiley:

Ok this really isn’t my business but it is bugging me none the less. I got my first Pfizer vaccine on 3-11-21. A friend had an appt 30 minutes after me. She went home afterwards and scheduled her second appt for 3-29-21. they are supposed to be 21 days apart. she is posting pictures saying she had her second shot and how great it is. etc. I was told by the people giving the shot that i should schedule 4-1-21 or after. which I did.

I am just bugged that she a) was able to set an appt right after she got the first shot and b) she didn’t wait the 21 days to get the second shot. Bah humbug.

Thanks i feel better now.

Well, I don’t know nothin’ about nothin’…but I’d be afraid I wouldn’t get the benefits of the vaccine if I didn’t get it according to instructions.

I got my first one on 03/26, the follow-up is 4 weeks later on 04/23. And yes, it was the Pfizer.