Let's Say I've Decided the Rapture Is Imminent. Now What Do I Do?

I would still live and act the same way. Why change at all? Would it be something to do with trying to fool God? Assuming God knows everything, He would already know if you are any good or not. Maybe repenting and saying “I’m sorry” will help, but it is not a “get out of jail free card”. You have to mean it. Otherwise, it’s just Saddam singing the “I can change” song from South Park.

Whether the rapture is imminent or not, and whether it happens or not, you’re going to die, sooner or later, and there’s a chance you’ll die today. So, it seems to me, either way, the question you need to ask yourself is, “Have I lived my life in such a way that God will be pleased with me as of this moment”. But you don’t need the belief in an imminent rapture to be concerned with that point.

If you believe the Rapture is imminent the only moral thing to do would be to try to convert as many people to Christianity (or bring them to whatever state is required to gain entrance to heaven instead of plunging into the lake of fire) as you possibly. If you were convinced that Judgement day was nigh, it would be your responsibility (are you not your brother’s keeper?) to bring as many goats and chaff over to the wheat and sheep camp as you could.

Growing up, I met a lot of Jack Chick style fundies. They used their Christianity as an excuse to feel superior. They used salvation pamphlets as a kind of weapon. Many of them seem to want people to be offended-for a person ignorant of the word can get into heaven, but a person who tears up your pamphlet and yells at you has refused the word and is condemned to hell.

In college, I was on the phone with a friend. One of her friends, who I didn’t know well at the time, overheard my problems and said ‘He needs Jesus.’ For a while, I assumed that she was one of the fundies I was used to. She isn’t. I had problems. She offered what she genuinely believed to be the solution. I once asked her if she thought all her nonChristian friends were going to hell. She did. She wasn’t happy about it.

Death is imminent. We’ve each got a few decades at most. Many of the annoying folks shouting and handing out tracts at bus stations are doing so because they believe that there is no way into heaven without Jesus, and they want to help as many people get into heaven as they can.

You are really convinced of this, aren’t you? I’ve heard you say this before.

I challenge you to find one anti-Christian comment on this board that hasn’t also been said about any other belief held by a subset of people and not held by others.

Then I challenge you to back up your proof that this comment is indicative of the entire board.

I think you do this Board a gross injustice by slipping these comments in slyly whenever you get a chance. Not only have I met some of the nicest Christains ever on this board, such as **Siege ** for one, but I have also heard plenty of people who don’t believe in anything beyond the evidence of their eyes defend Christians and even argue, correctly, with people who lambast Christians.

I know this is what Jesus said…but not what the God of the Old Testament said. I also know many Christians profess not to believe the OT…but Jesus himself said something along the lines of…

“Think not that I have come to change the law.
I have come to uphold it.”

The OT did judge, a great deal, and he did not treat anyone like he himself would like to be treated. Whose example must one follow?

Imminent, if I remember correctly, means nothing else need happen before it happens.
So it could be tomorrow or 10,000 years from now.
We should all live as it will happen today, whether it does or not.
Couldn’t hurt.

Elenia; All I recall is any time anyone says they believe in a real Jesus, ressurection, judgment of non believers, its met with flames.
Notice the fundies who used to post here are gone?
They were flamed unmericfully.

Like who?

Two who come to mind were banned for cruelty and insults to another poster.

Another was flamed not for her beliefs but her close-mindedness and inability to engage in an inteligent debate.

OTOH

We still have you, Siege, Polycarp, FriarTed, Triscadecamus and a bunch more.

People get flamed not for saying ‘I believe in Jesus.’ But for saying ‘I believe in Jesus. Now, I’m gonna be a big jerk about it!’

I’m a fundie, and I don’t post a lot here because everytime I pop up, I get flamed unmercifully.

I praised God when Bush won, and I was told among other things, to get the f*** out of the thread, and to f*** myself with a rusty knife. Granted, it was the BBQ pit just after the general presidential election, but still…

I know, I know…poor little old me. I’m not posting this to show what a selfless repressed martyr I am. Rather, just pointing out that fundamentalist Christians are not welcome here.

I could post a lot of things here. I could post about my belief that non-Christian people are incapable of understanding the Bible based on 1 Corinthians 2:14. I could post my belief in the Rapture, and how people like ITR Champion and Diogenes the Cynic post their opinions on the subject as fact, but somehow never get called to task for their behavior in the same way I do.

However, I have found, in 5 years of lurking on this board, that this is just not the place for open discussion about fundamentalist religion. It is, at best, frowned upon. At worst, it is vitriolically and hatefully treated. Such is this board.

And Doc, with all due respect, if Polycarp is a fundamentalist, I’m the Jolly Green Giant.

I doubt that had anything to do with your mention of God.

Actually, that sounds interesting. Obviously, I’d disagree. But it does sound interesting.

I accept Diogenes as an authority on some things because he has proven it over many posts. I accept Qadgop as an authority on medicine and Tolkien because he has proven that over many posts. I don’t simply read Diogenes’ posts and say ‘His viewpoint matches mine. Therefore, his post is valid.’

And The Raindog does debate him in those threads.

I never said he was a fundamentalist. I said he was a Christian. Vanilla originally said that this board was antiChristian.

It was the Pit. That sort of thing is expected and allowed (within some sort of limit). Did you really expect anything different? The Pit is called the Pit for a reason. It’s like swimming with sharks and then acting surprised when people start calling you Stumpy. Maybe there waqs something that struck people as being to self-righteous or gloating. Maybe, just maybe, it was taken by your opponents as yet another “Og is on our side” post. Some people just attact flames. Some do it on purpose, some do it unintentionally. There is one thing that you got wrong and out of context already, and I strongly suggest that you bone up on the entire book…

Paul made a career out of converting both Jews and Gentiles (pagans). How on earth could he convert any of them, unless they did understand what he and his book were saying. Is the Word of God so flawed that only the “righteous” can get any meaning from it? Are you saying we should go back to the Dark Ages when only priests and nobles could read any book, let alone a Bible? I won’t mention how condescending it is to assume only fundies can understand something. Oops, just did. My bad.

In understanding God’s will for you as a member of Christ’s body, you need to be looking in the right part of the Bible for it. Most Christian folks I know believe the four gospels–Matthew, Mark, Luke and John–are where their instructions are. Really? Okay, if that’s the case, then you need to sell all that you have, give the proceeds to the poor (you can keep the clothes on your back, one pair of sandles and a staff), and possess no money. (see Matthew 10:9,10; 19:21-28)
Furthermore, you will not take the message that has been given to you to preach (“repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand”) to any Gentiles, but only to “the lost sheep of the house of Israel”, and while you’re at it: "Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils, etc… (Matt. 4:17; 10:5-8) And by the way, take no thought for what you will eat, drink, wear or where you’ll be sleeping tonight.(Matt. 6:31-34). Finally, if you endure unto the end, i.e., you continue in all these things to your death, you’ll be saved (Matt. 10:22; John 8:31)

A cake walk, right? Hardly. Impossible? Well, yeah. Most of the folks who tell
Christians their marching orders are in the four gospel accounts, would answer this by saying this is all figurative language, of course, that God never meant anyone to adhere to such austere commandments, literally. Yes and no. Yes, he meant exactly what he said in all those directives, and he meant them to be carried out, literally; but, no, you and I aren’t being addressed in that part of Scripture. Here’s why. These instructions aren’t written to the church, the body of Christ, which is what you’re in, if you’re saved. Your instructions and promises are in the Epistles of the apostle Paul (the apostle of the Gentiles), Romans through Philemon. The Apostle said: “Consider what I say, and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.” If you’ll do this, the confusion will clear up.

I’m so confused. Don’t the same people using this figurative loophole also demand absolute literalism when it suits their purpose? You can’t have it both ways.

I meant to say that I agree with you on this. But, it isn’t just fundamentalist Christianity. Fundamentalist Jews, or fundamentalist Muslims woud get the same reception.

Massive looting of unoccupied cars?
vanilla, those fundies who were, as you claim, “hounded off of the board”?

Weren’t they the same ones who kicked you off of their board because, according to them, your political beliefs were not those of a “true Christian?”

This board has quite a few Christians posting here. When I first came here, I still considered myself a practicing Catholic. Some Christians here self-identify as “fundy” (Duck Duck Goose comes to mind), and aren’t flamed for being such.

People are flamed for their actions and their attitudes, NOT their beliefs. You may believe what you wish, but you cannot tell me that Rapture theology is mainstream, or that it isn’t a fairly recent school of thought (late 1700s, MAYBE).

True. This is because they fail (or refuse) to see the command to “rightly divide the word of truth.” (2 Timothy 2:15)

Really? Seriously? In my 25 years of Christianity I don’t remember EVER knowing a fellow Christian who didn’t believe in the rapture as described in Revelations. I’ve found that it’s pretty common for a generic Christian to believe in it. Otherwise your “unoccupied driver in case of rapture” bumper stickers wouldn’t sell too well. This might just be me and my huge group of Christians in Houston though. 'Course I don’t know all of them, but every time a Christian I have ever spoken with speaks of the end of the world or when Jesus returns, or the afterlife, the rapture is part of the discussion. And this happens quite frequently. And the question of it not happening never even comes up. It’s just assumed fact.

Well, they weren’t the one who kicked me off, technically, but , yes.

I suppose there are many flavors of christians, and it is certainly so here.

I do believe the rapture, I don’t think its hateful, and like I posted above, it can happen whenever, not tomorrow, probably, and theres nothign to do to get ready for it except just live with Jesus in mind.

But I still want to know exactly what is considered fundie.
I still am not sure I qualify as one.

I do not consider myself a ‘fundmentalist’, although I am sure that most people here would. I’m not big on labels to begin with, although I see their utility and their usefullness in encapsulizing a set of beliefs. It allows some economy of words.

My fear is that they are overused. And, because they’re used so blithely often they’re accurate, or only partly accurate. And nowadays they’re often used as slurs. (in the right context)

My experience here is that I have never been “flamed.” Never. My arguments are ususlly in the distinct minority, and more than once I’ve been in a thread and had 5, 6 or 7 people posting at me. It’s easy to feel that you’re fighting off a pack.

Still, while people have been hostile, they have almost always been civil, and never personal in their hostility. They were hostile to my views on a given subject as opposed to me as a person. (at least that’s what I perceive) I’ve never been attacked.

That doesn’t mean I feel like I’m part of the family. It’s clear that the old-timers have established a fraternity of sorts and get along quite well. They appear to be friends. I suffer from no illusions that I will ever be welcomed with open arms.

There’s nothing wrong with that. If you’re a Cubs fan you shouldn’t be hanging out in a Bridgeport neighborhood bar. They’ll serve you, but you ain’t getting invited to the next pub crawl.

Well, have to get some sleep. I need to take Diogenes out to the woodshed tomorrow. :wink:

Catholicism does NOT teach the Rapture (and in fact, considers Rapture theology to be heresy), and happens to be the largest denomination of Christianity in the US, IIRC.

the raindog, there’s no need to flame you. While most of us may disagree, you’ve been nothing if not polite and respectful.

Thank you, Guinastasia.