Leviticus 18:22, the only spot the bible says gay is wrong?

How many times in the bible does it say gay is wrong or a sin?

Also, are there other things in the bible (considered a sin) that are mentioned more but get ignored by the vast majority of mainstream Christians? If so, what? (Divorce maybe?)

Thanks for any input.

Leviticus 18:22 is totally cool with girl-on-girl sex, though. If a man lay with another man… Doesn’t say anything about women not laying with other women.

As far as I know, there is no place in the bible that explicitly says that being gay is wrong or a sin. There are parts that are interpreted that way, but I don’t think there is anything in there that directly talks about homosexuality.

I know in the OT that there are a lot of things having to do with hospitality that were considered pretty serious sins at the time but are mostly ignored today, since we don’t have the same focus. The story of Lot, for instance, is today interpreted to be about homosexuality, but in fact was about violations of hospitality rules.

A friend of mine that has studied the Bible religiously told me that poverty is mentioned 3,000 times and homosexuality 3.
Twice in the Old Testament and again by Paul in one of his letters.

Ro 1:18-32 would be hard to qualify as not talking about homosexuality, and unlike Lev 18:22 includes women.

The sources I looked up the other day said three or four times in the NT: Romans 1:26–27, 1 Corinthians 6:9–10, and 1 Timothy 1:9–10, and an ambiguous reference in Jude 1. Wikipedia has an article on it: Homosexuality in the New Testament - Wikipedia

I was specifically looking up the NT because the person I was talking to said Chick-Fil-A could serve bacon because prohibitions against reading pig meat were part of the OT, and they were released from following those rules. I wanted to see how strong an argument she had against gay marriage if she only used NT passages. This wikipedia article discusses homosexuality in the Bible as a whole: The Bible and homosexuality - Wikipedia

It sure seems to say that, but from what I understand there are some questions about translation and about the intent. Still, it’s a good point I guess…I had forgotten about Romans and this passage. Possibly I was thinking of the OT as well, even though the OP is clearly using ‘bible’ to equal NT.

But if anyone is going to cite Romans 1, I would recommend they keep reading. Romans 2 has a little something to say about judging others for such things. Paul pretty much says you’ve sinned and you’re completely boned, you didn’t earn salvation either and it’s only God giving it to you if he wants to.

Well if you want to talk about Paul’s flesh vs the Lord’s spirit coming through in the scriptures you can’t beat 1 Cor 7:10 where Paul stated what the Lord states but Paul does not stand with the Lord, then 2 verses later in 1 Cor 7:12 Paul speaks up, gives instruction and has the balls to say that the Lord does not stand with Paul on this.

Paul has some very large balls.

Leviticus 11:12 - Eating shellfish is also an abomination.

So no Red Lobster.

I think by this penguins would be off limits too.

Well that’s true enough, nogravity, but that’s another kettle of shellfish.

It is possible to point out to people the other laws in Leviticus that they are not keeping, but most people are not going to be convinced that they are wrong by this because they have hardened their hearts.

The major one is Leviticus 20:13
If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.
It’s much like 18:22 but adds they should be killed.

IANAXian, but I take Ro 1:18-32 to mean that these guys worshiped things besides God, so God went and turned them gay. Doesn’t mean being gay is sinful or a symptom of sin; God punished Pharaoh for his sins with a plague of boils, but other people get a plague of boils just because they’re teenagers.

We’ve done this before; here’s one thread:

What parts of the Bible ban homosexuality?

Absolutely. People cherry pick what they want and leave the rest. You know they don’t abide by this one:

Although I don’t think the Koch Brothers really care.

Penguin goes right to my thighs so it’s off limits for me too.

OTTOMH

Penguins are clearly birds, so the bird rules would apply not the sea creature rules. Birds of prey are not kosher. Is the penguin a bird of prey? I think it depends on who you ask.

What about the Disciple whom Jesus loved? Now this is Jesus, right? He loves everybody including his enemies, right? Why single out one guy for special mention of love unless there was something . . . special about their relationship? :wink: (Don’t look at me like that, Mary Magdalene! It’s not like you didn’t know! Let’s get Biblical! Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me!)

Matthew 7:16-20

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Even Jesus thought being gay was genetic and and there are good fruits as well as evil fruits. :smiley:

According to the Bible, these things are all cool:
Rape - Deuteronomy 22:23-29
Slavery - Exodus 21:1-11
Genocide - 1 Samuel 15:1-26 (includes a smack-down by God when Saul fails to completely wipe out a nation)
Child Sacrifice - Genesis 22:1-10 (called off at the last minute, but Abraham’s willingness proves that God was totally down with it)
Incest - several examples

Also, unicorns exist.