Little lines in movies that you love or saved the movie for you.

In The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy our hero Arthur Dent, is at the Alien Equvalient to Department of Motor Vehicles and there is a long line.

He mutters, " I’m British. I know how to queue."

That line kept me giggling to this day.

“Ok. So, she’s a dog”

-**Ghostbusters**

To me the most sublime bit of dialog ever written is the wonderful

All of the Monty Python quotes in Sliding Doors, but the best one is the one at the very end of the movie. Got to love a movie where the last words spoken are a Monty Python quote. I like the movie anyway, but that made it one of my favorites.

-Otanx

“Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.”

– The Godfather

“I don’t believe in it anyway!”
“What?”
“England.”
“Just a conspiracy of cartographers, then?”

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

It’s just the way the “conspiracy” line is delivered. Brilliant.

Sage Rat, you beat me to it. The Long Kiss Goodnight was a fairly lame movie, but that particular snippet of dialog was its redemption.

Mine’s from The Last Starfighter

Just the utter dead-pan way the last line is delivered makes it. A friend of mine said we got our money’s worth from that film with that one exchange.

(Mediocre movie at best, but it does have a number of really good lines…)

Said by Jude Law in the movie Closer:

“Lying is the currency of the world.”

I didn’t like the movie a whole lot, it didn’t exactly make it better that I’m not particularily fond of either Natalie Portman or Julia Roberts. But I loved that line.

“There’s no way that should have worked.” – Sahara

If I’m reading the OP right, it isn’t a line that made an already good movie memorable, but a movie that you didn’t much care for saved by an outstanding line or snippet of dialogue.
I’ll come back to this. I have trouble remembering breakfast.

That’s so funny.

I just watched that movie last Saturday for the first time ever, and I couldn’t place where Sage Rat’s quote came from.

There are other lines in that movie.

There’s a part where Sam Jack gets kicked in the balls. After something else happens, Geena Davis says to him, “Are you thinking what I’m thinking?”

Sam: “I hope not, because I’m thinking about how much my balls hurt.”

That movie has some winners in it, even though it’s mostly crap.

I never saw Sliding Doors. What was the quote?

I’m not going to be able to provide a direct quote. I hope I’m able to paraphrase closely enough.

In Valley Girl, Nick Cage and his buddy are on the side of the road looking out over the valley and one of them says something along the lines of. “Just think. Out there somewhere at this moment <whatever her name is> is waiting for me (or you – I forget which).”

There’s proabably another line or two and then Cage looks directly at his buddy and says in as deadpan and expressionless a way that (as far as I know) has never been duplicated, “I didn’t know that.”

(There is a similar line with the same method of delivery in National Treasure which I feel must be an homage to that very scene.)

I’d love to see the scene again to get all the words right, but I remember VG as being exceptionally weak but for that scene.

Schlocky '60s Psycho-ripoffs time. Bette Davis in two different movies.

In Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte , to Olivia de Havilland, referring to deHavilland’s job title, “Public relations! Sounds awwwfully dirty to me!”
I hear Bette every time I see some spin doctor on my TV.

In Whatever Happened to Baby Jane , Jane(Davis) walks into her sister Blanche’s room (Joan Crawford). An old" Blanche Hudson" tear-jerker on the tube is nearing the end. Jane leers at Blanche and says “Ya finished with yaself?”
That one always cracks me up.

Line that I love:

“That’ll do pig.” Babe

“Do I sound like I know what I’m talking about?” Clueless

Can’t think of any movie savers offhand.

Split Second

“We need bigger guns! We need big big fucking guns!”

Not what you’d call great cinema but lines like this made it great.

[hijack]

MAD Magazine had a knock-off of this they called, “Hack, Hack, Sweet Hasbeen.”

[/hijack]

Lara Croft, Tomb Raider. A line spoken by the actor who, because of it, I suspect will make a great James Bond:

“And now for a cold shower…”

Mine are from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, though since I adore the movie they didn’t save it for me–I just like them a lot.

VIOLET: By gum, it’s gum!
WONKA: Wrong!
(the greatness is all in the tone in which he delivers the line–as if he’s saying “Right!”)

and

“So shines a good deed in a weary world.”