Locke & Key on Netflix - anyone else watching? (possible spoilers)

This show dropped on Netflix today and I am happy to know almost nothing about it. It is from Stephen King’s son and I do know they made a comic book of it and that it also has an audio drama version.

I’ve read neither and am going in entirely blind. It’s been on my watch-list for awhile.

Anyone else watching?

It’s definitely on my list, pending reviews. The trailers looked interesting at least.

On my list, too, but my list is intimidatingly long.

I came across this review today:

I watched the first episode but it didn’t really appeal to me.

Apologies if I’m misreading you, but “made a comic book of it,” makes it sound like the comic was an adaptation of another story. This isn’t the case. The comic book was the original form of this story.

[/pedant]

I started it this afternoon with my son and had no idea who did it or what it was about. We watched six episodes back to back because he enjoyed it so much. It was okay to me. A fantasy show with more teen angst than I care for but I would say it’s about the same level as October Faction. Maybe I’m just getting too old for this stuff but the teen angst tropes grate on my nerves. They’re all so bitter and catty and nobody ever tells parents anything. My son has promised if he ever finds magic keys or makes friends with glow-eyed warlocks he will come straight to me.

I’m 3 episodes in, and it’s been ok. The kids are annoying some of the time, but more often than not just incredibly stupid, and too dumb to stay alive. There’s also frequent cases of not communicating important information for no particular reason. I liked some of the scenes that explored the PTSD aspect, and where they were just being siblings. It’s a little too much of a typical young adult fantasy that are dime a dozen these days. I understand the source material was darker, and perhaps going more in that direction would have been better.

I just saw something about this today, and I want to check it out.

We’re one episode in and will continue to watch. Early days, but I’d say it was better than either October Faction or Umbrella Academy,

I’m 4 episodes in and give it a solid “OK” rating. I was hoping for better, but it is not bad.

Big fan of the source material and came into this a combination of excited and please don’t screw it up. One episode in, definitely satisfactory. Biggest complaints are Tyler not wearing the fishing lure cap and how quickly the keys are uncovered And shared. However, what works as a slow reveal on the page doesn’t necessarily translate to the screen, so making allowances.

Always love seeing Nova Scotia’s south shore standing in for the US east coast������ That alone will get me to watch at least the first episode.

I think it was beautifully shot and had some great characters. Loving the diversity, having a disabled guy just being another guy they interact with is great.
The did rely on the idot ball hard in some episodes, like the drowning Caves and especially the final Episode.
Just thinking about the possibilities of all the keys with my wife was awesome - especially the Head Key. Maybe they think of some more clever stuff to do with them in further episodes.

Not my cupa.

I loved the comic books and am excited to watch it.

I’m enjoying it so far, 2 episodes in.

Good comparisons. I gave up on October Faction after 1 boring and stupid episode. Umbrella I made it through but it wasn’t worth it.

Locke & Key is interesting so far and I like the characters. I’m curious if Echo is human, fey or fiend.

I got about half way through episode 1, and think it will end up being one of those bingewatch things my husband and I do - we don’t seem to every watch ‘normal’ TV any more, and really have no idea what is actually on any more [I can’t honestly remember any series TV we actually watched on a regular basis, maybe Babylon 5 or Firefly? Probably something on the SF channel back before it went strange. Warehouse 13 or Eureka maybe We normally would watch movies on one of the on demand channels like HBO/Showtime]

I found it interesting, and almost sort of reminiscent of the miniseries of the motel keys. [I tried googling it, but am not sure [The Lost Room](The Lost Room - Wikipedia) is the right series? I just remember odd stuff, like a pencil that if you tap it a coin appears, can’t remember if it is a penny or a quarter, some objects are slightly inimicable but most are benign like tapping a pencil and getting money]

We just finished it tonight. It was absorbing enough. I liked that the kids worked very intelligently sometimes, but hated that they were pretty stupid sometimes.

I absolutely hated the denouement - it ruined the story for me and I probably won’t watch the next season.

J.

We’re still working our way through it. The kids are painful to watch. If given a choice between a smart action and one that will go horrifyingly wrong, they always go with “b”.

A bit of the script from the first episode:

Mom: Hey, kiddo! I know you’re like eight, only a really immature eight, and your dad was violently murdered just a couple of months ago, and yesterday you were playing in the dilapidated well house and swear you saw a ghost there. Wanna go to the store with me? No? Then I’ll just leave you alone for an hour or two in this haunted house we just moved into where there are weapons on the walls and, let me emphasize, a dangerous falling-apart well house that you like to play in. Have fun!

I know it makes me an old man, but I can barely see the plot around all the parental negligence.

The visuals are wonderful, and I like the plot a lot, but the script and the actors are making it hard to enjoy. I’m two episodes in and don’t anticipate making it a third. I might read the source material, though.