Looking for a word to describe the 'whoosh' sound in Turkish music.

Hi
I’m looking for a word to describe the ‘whoosh’ sound in Turkish music. It has this crescendo feel about it.

I look forward to your feedback.

Could you link to a video where you’ve heard it? I know you can produce a whoosh sound by dragging your thumb over the skin of a bedir (sp?) or toumbelek (sp?) but I would hardly call it a crescendo so that is probably not what you are talking about.

Are you talking about a cymbal scrape? When two hand cymbals are rubbed together?

Since this is about music, let’s move it to Cafe Society.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

Is it an actual whooshing noise, or the metaphorical whoosh of a crescendo?

(Note: crescendo means the part where it begins getting louder, not the loud point.)

A glissando is sliding from one pitch to another…maybe that?

OP: I second the idea of linking us to some whooshful music, so we can more effectively engage in whooshful thinking. :slight_smile:

Are we all being… whooshed?

I think he may mean the rising ambient background sounds as here. (starting about 15:03 in case I haven’t linked it correctly.) It rises slowly to a pitch around 16:30.

I believe it’s done with circular stroking of the rim on a bell or a cymbal.

If it is what I’m thinking of, I’d describe it as more of a gulping sound.

Here’s a Youtube video of the percussionist at the Philharmonia Orchestra in London, explains and demonstrates some of his instruments: Instruments: Percussion - YouTube
Do any of them make the “whooshing” sound?

For your convenience, here are links to what I think are the most relevant instruments:
Tam-tam
Cymbals

What I mean by ‘whoosh’ is a sudden brief pause brief pause followed by a gathering crescendo. I’m wondering if that’s done only in studios electronically or physically achieved by an orchestra. I have only heard audio recordings of.

What song/album did you hear it in? Is it on youtube?

In public. Walking through market places in predominantly Turkish neighborhoods in Berlin and other German cities.

Well several suggestions have been offered that don’t seem to have hit the point.
I, for one am very curious as to what you are talking about (even if I am unable to provide the correct answer) and would much appreciate it if you could find a link to demonstrate what you mean.

found something similar to what I had heard
Faran Ensemble–Wind (youtube)
Faran Ethnic Ensemble --Beautiful Ethnic Music

I still have a feeling that to get the effect I heard, it may have been done electronically in a studio, but the music was as lively as the Faran Ensemble. There were greater dramatic pauses.

Faran Ensemble–Wind (youtube)
Faran Ethnic Ensemble --Beautiful Ethnic Music

Ok, I’ve linked them properly for you. Please listen again to the songs and check the time bar to let us know exactly what point in the video you hear the whooshing sound. Because I’ve got to say the only “whoosh” I can discern is the one going over my head every time I try to help you with this.

I could sort of see in the second one how if he shook that beaded drum gently it might create a whooshing sound, but he doesn’t.

So please, an exact time pointer?

Maybe he means the bit at 1:50 in the first video and 3:58 in the second?

Obviously, he may say otherwise, but that seems to match his description of a sort of mini-crescendo that is also sort of a pause in the music.

Thanks Sage Rat. That’s about right. My recollection of the music I hear in these Turkish communities had more dramatic crescendos/more dramatic and longer pauses. What would you call these ‘whoosh’ sounds preceding the crescendos/dramatic pauses? aA glissando?
A 'rising ambient background sound/?

[quote=“davidmich, post:19, topic:821228”]

Thanks Sage Rat. That’s about right. My recollection of the music I hear in these Turkish communities had more dramatic crescendos/more dramatic and longer pauses. What would you call these ‘whoosh’ sounds preceding the crescendos/dramatic pauses? A glissando?
A 'rising ambient background sound?

Possible?

caesura teriminin İngilizce İngilizce sözlükte anlamı

A pause or interruption in a poem, music, building or other work of art