Looking for book on Russia / Bolshevik era.

I was looking for a nice fat book like Berlin: City of Scars or maybe Battle Cry of Freedom, or Fox Butterfield’s China. My target: Russia, particularly during the era of Soviet dominance and Stalin’s reign.

I’m mostly focused on what daily life was like for people - what they read or ate, and where and how they lived. But I also want to know the “dirty” version of events - the nasty truths behind the Soviet mask of a perfect conformist society with no “deviants.” I wanmt to know about both crime and coping, gulags and games. How did people enjoy themselves in the harsh Soviet regime, and what dangers did they face?

Stalin’s biographies by Simon Sebag Montefiore are great, as is the quicker read “Koba the Dread” by Martin Amis

I’m currently reading “The Gulag Archipelago” by Alexandr Solzhenitsyn. It sounds like it is just what you’re looking for - all the dirty secrets that Russia didn’t want the rest of the world to know, written by people who survived them. I believe Solzhenitsyn won a Nobel Prize for this book. It’s a non-fiction work, and not fantastically entertaining, but it would be a fantastic companion for any fiction set in that era.