Lost In Space

I will propose that the Lost in Space “Space Hippies” were groovier than the Star Trek “Space Hippies.”

You. Take. That. Back. Herbert.

I don’t recall that episode, and I refuse to watch it out of order. I know that most people think it’s the most ridiculous thing ever used in a science fiction show.

I don’t recall watching the B&W episodes when I was little. I do remember loving the colour episodes at the time. I was also a big fan of the Batman TV show. Now that I’m older, I’d find LIS too insipid if the camp season were shown as a new series today. But I can appreciate the camp value, just as I enjoy the B-grade monster movies of the '50s and '60s.

Wot a luverly bit o’stuff! I wish to hell I could have shacked up with Angela when I was 13! :frowning:

http://rainpow.com/uploads/large/content7.flixster.com*question*59*49*96*5949965_std.jpg

Even as a kid I was really fond of John Williams’ score. Unfortunately, it got stuck in my head during a rather tense time recently; part of the UK driver’s test these days are watching short video clips and mouse-clicking at just the right time when you see a possible hazard developing.

Each clip starts as a freeze frame with a 10, 9, 8, etc countdown in the screen just like the LOS opening titles. There are 14 clips, so I was going a bit mad by the end with the earworm.

But it’s still a cracking good theme tune.

The version that I kept thinking of was the later, more dramatic arrangement

Oh, agreed. I have used a clip as my ring tone for three years now. (My text message alert is the Jetson’s doorbell.)

Just a side note: Some years ago, I visited the Smithsonian with a couple of friends. There was an exhibit on mummies, and one of the displays explained how the Egyptians often mummified sacred animals. One of my friends pointed to a sign identifying a “Bull Mummy,” and said “I remember him from Lost in Space.”

But she always seemed just the right amount (2 years in my case) older and (especially in Make Room for Daddy) sophisticated for me. Man, when she was 12 and I was 10… She didn’t age that bad, neither.

Jonathan Harris married his childhood sweetheart in 1938, and they were together until his death in 2002.

I’ve got ‘The Oasis’ on now. The Robinsons have discovered a weird, alien fruit.

They’re papayas.

It makes me wonder if papayas were so unknown to American audiences in the '60s, that they could pass as something weird and alien.

Even today the vast majority of papayas are imported from Latin America - U.S. production is pretty minimal outside of south Florida and Hawaii. Frost kills them dead. I remember my father picking up some in the early 1980’s in CA and I considered them a little odd and exotic even then. In the 1960’s I bet most folks had minimal if any exposure to them.

I love stories like that. My parents have been married over 61 years now.

There was a comic book story from 1940 in which the superhero Dr. Fate faced an evil wizard. The writer, apparently looking for an exotic, otherworldly, sinister-sounding name for the sorcerer, called him – Mango.

Dunno about the recognisability of papayas in the 1960s, but it cracked us up when ornamental kale was passed off as ‘Klingon cabbage’ in an episode of Star Trek the Next Generation.

“Crush, kill, destroy!”

I much preferred the comic.