LOTR: Boys *do* cry

I was wondering today if the LOTR films have had any impact on how guys think about displays of emotion. The leads in the film cry when they feel like, admit their fear and despair to eachother, and hug eachother at will to comfort, congratulate or greet eachother.

Am I hoping for too much if I hope that the films might help a little in making it more acceptable for guys to display emotion?

On separate viewings with two of my (female) friends, at the moment at which Aragorn kisses Boromir’s forehead, one friend said, “That is so GAY” and the other said, “That is so MACHO”. None of my male friends commented at all. I think people largely get out of movies what they bring into them.

Im not a guy, but I think Sams speech when he and Fordo are in Gondor could make anyone teary. Just the whole idea that there is some good in this world and that it is worth fighting for.

Spoiler box in case people havent seen it or read it and intend to.

That could just affect me because of the imagery thats involved what with them winning the battle at Helms Deep, or the march of the Ents, that and the music.

That monologue is very, very well delivered.

I didn’t cry during any of the LOTR films, because I was in awe of the special effects, the scenery, the violence, etc. Fantasy and Sci-Fi genre just doesn’t get me teary eyed, just wide-eyed.

You want to make us cry? Have us watch a movie that hits “too close” to home. For me, it’s “Field of Dreams” because the lack of a relationship that I had with my real father and the wish to reconcile it, like Ray Consella did. Sure it had some paranormal twist to it, but the main theme was the relationship with his father; not killing thousands of orcs in one night and losing a couple of characters in the process.

Also, when the young Archie “Moonlight” Grahm crossed over the foul line (and in essence, giving up his sport dream for his occupation in life - doctor) to save the girl from choking is another example that a man may face at one time or another - giving up a sport to pursue other careers in life and never to return to the dreams that he had when he was a kid. Knee surgery at thirteen years of age also took part in killing my dreams.

The last time I cried watching anything was lassie (about 14 years ago, I am 24) But there have been moments during the LOTR films that I have welled up and nearly cried. One that comes to mind is Sam’s speech about fighting for what’s good in the world.

Another time was when Merry and Pippin are crying having just

left the cave where they witnessed Gandalf’s fall to what they believe is his death

Good point, Iteki. The next one will be the real test, though: if Lobsang and others nearly cried at some points during the first two films, they had better sneak some kleenex in with them for ROTK. I’m bringing a box, and I never cry at movies.

I was really moved when Sam was talking about how Frodo would be a legend someday and Frodo said something like “No, they’ll talk about Sam the Brave, who was always there when his friend needed him.”

Saw the movie for the first time last night and thought it was just stunning in everyway. Everyone who has worked on those films should be really proud. That’s some serious moviemaking.

Mr. Lissar, who is definitely not a sissy in any way, and DOESN’T cry during movies, cried on and off all the way through FOTR and a reasonable amount during TTT. Of course, so did I, and the reasons are probably both that they’re beautiful, emotional movies and that we’re both complete Tolkien geeks.

I hope that the movies do have a positive impact on the acceptance of male emotion. I remember talking to a friend about how wonderful it was to see these big (well, some of them are big) macho guys who can seriously kick ass unashamed of emotional display.

What I was more thinking about was if the films and the male roles portrayed in them would cause men/boys to be more accepting of displays of emotion IRL. For example, Aragorn becomes (to me) more masculine, not less, for the tears he sheds, the fears he admits to, the care he shows for the hobbits etc.

When I went to see Two Towers there were a few teen boys sitting behind us. They noisily whispered through most of the movie, unsurprisingly.

But when Aragorn takes the dive over the cliff and into the river, or whatever, the worst of them started blubbering and freaking out. "Does he come back? Does Aragorn come back? He comes back, right? Boohoohoo, Oh no … "

(Meanwhile I’m sitting there going “What the F is this? The F … That’s not in the book!”)

Well, I think that the reason for the displays of affection and emotion were due to the cultures based upon medieval culture, which was simultaneously more “macho” but yet had more facile displays of emotions. (cf. the stereotypes of current Romantic-influenced cultures.)

A friend did make a joke about being “so gay” when the above forehead-kissing scene appeared. I was like “his friend just died. Now, the hugging, that’s gay.” :wink:

I don’t think it will influence my actions much, as I already think I display a proper amount of emotion at the proper time, and while I’m not that affectionate, I don’t care if guys want to hug me.

That said, I’d have to agree with other posters: I was almost driven to tears by TTT, moreso than almost any other movie. But it was tears of awe, as when one sees a very rousing team action/patriotic speech/army of 10,000’s ready for war :wink:

I don’t think it’ll influence much, but I AM very glad to see that Peter Jackson incorporated all the affection between friends in that film, so well. I know that if I just saw my buddy die heroically in front of me, I’d bid him a very teary-eyed farewell and kiss his forehead.

… don’t tell him I said this but…

Mr. Athena cries during movies all the time. Definitely some teary eyes during TTT, and he even teared up during Lilo and Stitch (“Ohana means Fam i ly”)

About the third time I saw LotR::FotR, I went with a friend (female) who had read the books. In one of that last scenes when Frodo is telling Sam how happy he is to have him along, etc., this friend leans over and whispers, “I think they’re going to kiss.”

That cracked me up.

Sam and Frodo are really the only characters that seem to get a little overboard. Maybe there are just too many shots of Frodo with a sad look in his eyes?

** SPOILER **

The funniest line of tTT has to be the start of Sam’s speach that was mentioned above. He starts off saying something like, “We shouldn’t even be here!” No kidding…

and naturally I meant “speech”… sigh!