Love songs that are really Lust songs

I’ve nothing against casual sex (as memory serves) and even Jimmy Carter had lust in his heart (how could he not with his political heyday coming so soon after Maude was on the air?). I’m not a prude about artistic expressions of lust, but I do have a pet peeve of love and lust, or have sex and make love, being used interchangably.

But enough about me. What are some famous “love” songs that are clearly about lust? I can think of several off hand, but I’ll just name one obscure one and leave it to the panel.

In the film On a Clear Day You Can See Forever Barbra sings Love With All the Trimmings (video here and it’s a damsexy song and video, but it’s also clear she’s not talking about love except in the euphemistic sense.

Name some others please.

Well, there’s always John Lennon’s classic “Why Don’t We Do It In The Road?”

Actually, I believe that one was 100% Paul.

Love to Love You, Baby by Donna Summer.

*Let’s Fall in Love * (“Birds do it, bees do it …”)

If we open up the Donna Summer Songbook, we’re gonna be here a long time.

Many people have come to regard I’m A Wanker as the definitive, nay ultimate, paean to self love.

This view is, in fact, bullshit. Listen to this:

The guy is clearly a sexual opportunist preferring, as he does, ‘cheapness and convenience’ to long term relationships, love, commitment etc. Also, the singer is willing to travel the world in order to pursue his lustful lifestyle:

So those of us travelling in Europe this year must remember to check the seats on public transport before sitting down. Finally:

This doesn’t sound very romantic to me but, as ever, YMMV.

I want to kiss you all over

The Starlight Vocal Band’s Afternoon Delight

I’d Really Love to See You Tonight.

Crimson and Clover by Tommy James & the Shondells, perhaps.

Chevy Van by Sammy Johns was certainly putting an unctious, overly-romantic spin on picking up some hitchiking teenage runaway and getting neither gas nor grass.

Ahem, second only to Buzzcocks - Orgasm Addict, surely, in the all-too-small canon of homages to the sin of Onan?

Jungle Love, Morris Day & the Time

I’ve never quite decided if “Love the One You’re With” is about Love or Lust.

“Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover” - Sophie B. Hawkins

“Paradise by the Dashboard Lights”

I don’t want to mess with your thread, but I’m of the opinion that all rock love songs are really lust songs. OK, there are maybe six exceptions. But the rest? Short-term lust.

Well, there is that. It might be harder to find rock songs that are really long-term love songs, since even if you claim to love someone for the rest of their life, you might still be lying :slight_smile:

Feel like making love - Bad Company

Of the six exceptions :

Amanda - Boston
Beth - KISS