Lucas calls SWIII "a tearjerker"

OK, but only if they gag him.

Y’know, something occurred to me:

I assume Jar-Jar’s gonna bite it along with everybody else. When that happens, I’ll bet real money the theater crowds will burst into applause. It actually might be worth the full price of admission just to be a part of that gratifying, bloodthirsty mob mentality for just a few seconds.

Then my work here is done!

Speaking of musical numbers (as I was), I’m surprised no one has done a Star Wars take-off with the Rebels/Imperials or Jedi/Sith as the Sharks and the Jets from West Side Story

“When you’re a Sith…”

Skyscrapers bloom up on Cor-us-cant
Airspeeders zoom up on Cor-us-cant
The Empire looms up on Cor-us-cant
Jedis are doomed up on Cor-us-cant
Even the baddest mofo in space
Dead Jedi Storage for you, Mace!

Too easy! How about Camelot, Man of La Mancha, or My Fair Lady? :slight_smile:

“These aren’t the windmills you’re looking for.”

Man of La Mancha?

Amidala… Amidala…
I see Naboo when I see thee, Amidala,
And thy name is like a prayer
a jedi whispers… Amidala… Amidala!

I don’t see that it’s much different from West Side Story:

Amidala
Say it loud and Max Rebo’s playing
Say it soft and it’s almost like praying
Amidala - I’ll never stop saying
Amidala, Amidala, Amidala

Yeah, yeah, boobies make us want to get down on our knees, we get it, musical writers. :smiley:

Massive Episode 3 spoiler, you’ve been warned:

Hate to break it to you, but Padme dies at the end giving birth to the twins. From what I’ve heard, Luke is given right to Obi Wan, but Padme cradles Leia as she dies.

LUKE
           Leia... do you remember your mother? Your
           real mother?

LEIA
           Just a little bit. She died when I was very
           young.

LUKE
           What do you remember?

**LEIA
           Just...images, really. Feelings.**

Both of them are extremely sensitive to the Force, what with being the offspring of the most (potentially) powerful Jedi ever. Is it really so far fetched that Leia could have had these feelings and images imprinted on her memory after birth? After all, Luke sensed what was happening to his friends on the other side of the galaxy in Empire Strikes Back.

And also, try to keep in mind that we are discussing a universe where laser blasts travel slower than the speed of light, light can be conveniently contained in order to create a blade that cuts through any substance other than another blade of light, sound exists in space, and there is an all encompassing energy force that allows certain individuals to move things with their mind and perform other super human feats. If Leia having infantile memories of her mother is a bit too much of a stretch for you, I’d really like to know what saga you’ve been watching this whole time, because it sure as hell wasn’t Star Wars.

Six-packs of lightsabers are on sale at Jedi-Mart for only $49.99. Be sure you cut up the plastic rings before you throw them out.

Otherwise, womprats get caught in the plastic rings. And that’s just sad.

Hey, FellowshipoftheBling! Maybe the reason the blue 'saber is so special is that Anakin “Pratfall” Skywalker didn’t break or lose this one.

Actually Anakin does lose it, that how Obi-wan gets it… after kicking Anikin’s butt 9 ways from Tuesday at the end.

Maybe Amedalia or whatever will die of shock when she sees her male and female babies start making out with each other.

This one still gets me. Yoda is totally wrong about this. Luke going actually saves his friends and generally helps gain a valuable ally in Lando. Yoda is like totally fucking wrong about everything. Some wise sage he is.

Well he is a muppet. You’d probably try to fuck with things if you had some puppeteer’s hand up your ass too ;).

At least he taught Luke about the Force. Obi-Won realized he sucked at that whole thing and decided he better die before he raises another uber-villian.

Not so! Luke doesn’t save his friends in any way – their only interaction on Bespin is a a brief glimpse in a hallway, where Leia warns him that the whole deal is a trap designed to lure him there. Han isn’t rescued, and Luke has nothing to do with Lando allying with Chewie, Leia, and Goldenrod. As far as Lando was concerned, his deal with Vader had was only about delivering some snotty kid he had no connection with or interest in. Lando’s conscience kicked in when Vader turned Han over to Fett and imposed a lifelong exile on Chewbacca and Han’s squeeze – and it would have went down that way anyway if Luke continued his training on Dagobah.

The only thing that Luke’s trip to Bespin accomplished was that he lost his right hand, was severely tempted by Vader, and did indeed become an agent of the Dark Side, as Yoda had promised. (Though that last bit didn’t make it into the trilogy – it’s in the lacuna between ESB and RoTJ, although the “Return of the Jedi” alludes both to Luke coming back from the abyss and also the parallel redemption of Anakin – which Luke was confident he could effect because he himself went over to the Dark Side and came back.)

As far as the whole “saving my friends” plan went, not only did he not help them at all, but they had to expose themselves to additional risk by turning back to rescue him, after they had made good their escape.

[/dork]

You forget that they only escaped BECAUSE Luke came. They were bait, and Luke was the prize that Vader only did what he did after he sensed Luke coming.

You-sa sayin’ we-sa gonna cry/?!

If Jar-Jar survives this movie, me-sa gonna cry me-sa a river!

I’m hoping he dies horribly and fruitlessly in the first 30 seconds. Now that would set the proper tone for the rest of the film. Redemption for and contrition from the Creator!

I don’t see a causal relationship there. They escaped because Lando was disillusioned about Vader’s disposition towards his friends. He had the ability to release them the entire time.

What pushed him over the edge was Han being frozen and turned over to Fett, and Chewie and Leia being in further danger. How long do you think he would have stood by and watched them be tortured, if Luke never went for the trap?

A more likely outcome, if Luke had stayed out of it, is that Lando would have been able to get them all out. Han was only frozen in carbonite by way of a test to make sure that the process would work for Luke, after it was clear that Luke was on his way.

Sorry to be so insistent, but Luke getting thoroughly beat down for his hubris and utterly failing to accomplish his personal quest is one of the things that makes The Empire Strikes Back my favourite Star Wars movie.

I dunno, I think several tons of overripe fruit might be a fitting way to snuff out the Max-Sennett-on-PCP abortion that is Jar-Jar.

Care to expound? I’m not familiar with this stuff at all, but it sounds interesting.