Lucky Charms Marshmallows

I’m looking for a complete history of Lucky Charms Marshmallows. I know they changed the blue diamond and yellow moon to a blue moon. I know the purple horseshoe was added in the 1980’s. My dream is to have a complete chronological list of Marshmallows and changes to them (maybe even special edition marshmallows). Can anyone out there help me?!?!?

Why don’t you send an email to whichever of the cereal companies makes Lucky Charms? If you get an answer, please post it!

Good call. I just tried it and got this as an automated response:

<<Thank you for your electronic mail message.

It has been forwarded to a customer service representative and will be answered in the order it was received. Our on-line representatives answer electronic mail messages from 7:30AM - 5:30PM Central Time, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.

If you prefer, you may call us during these hours at 1-800-328-1144.

Thank you.>>

CURSES! I don’t know if I have the patience for that. Anybody out there wanna contribute to this quest?

Well, searching for “lucky charms” marshmallow history on Google gave some pretty good results.

Simpsons hijack

Bart: (picking through Lucky CHarms) Damn FDA, why cant the all be marshmallow pieces?

Lisa: Ewww, don’t put the non-marshmallow pieces back in the box, throw them away!

ElwoodCuse, lisa doesn’t tell bart to throw them away, she tells him they GO IN THE TRASH.

sorry to nitpick.

misquoting simpsons is a cardinal sin in my family : )

and to be on topic, i used to buy boxes of lucky charms and seperate all the marshmellows from the regular cereal. repeated experimentation showed that there is approximately one very full plastic baggie of marshmellows in each box.

Do you have excess time on your hands or what? :smiley:

Boy! And I thought my wife having me sort out the non-green dried split peas from a bag was tedious!

Can you make Rice Crispie squares with LC marshmallows? Bet they’d be out of this world.

I think your assuming that they are marshmallows and not a ‘mallow-like’ substance…

:smiley:

I remember…

I remember the Lucky Charms of my youth. (I was born in 1965). It had four marshmallows. I can still hear Lucky the Leprechaun’s voice rattling them off in those early commercials:[ul][li]yellow moons[/li][li]orange stars[/li][li]pink hearts (said in an “aw, ain’t that cute” voice)[/li][li]green clovers (said with much enthusiasm, for some reason)[/ul]I remember the day, that wondrous, fateful day out camping, when I got hold of that little snack-pack sized box of Lucky Charms containing the first new marshmallow ever added:[ul]blue diamonds[/ul]For years, the triumverate of moons, stars, hearts, clovers, and diamonds was all there was to Lucky Charms. I ate them time and again, each time playing the game of getting one of each type of marshmallow onto my spoon at the same time. Usually I would eat the “cereal” pieces first so that by the time I was down to the bottom of the bowl there would be nothing but colored marshmallows left. And then came that dreaded TV commercial:[/li]
“What new marshmallow is going to get added to Lucky Charms? And what does a purple horse have to do with it?”

Hmmm … let’s see, what could the new marshmallow possibly be? A purple horse … a “good luck charm” theme from the cereal’s history … and just in case you had a room-temperature IQ and couldn’t figure it out from these clues, the “to be continued” freeze-frame in the TV ad showed Lucky the Leprechaun about to get kicked by the purple horse, with his horseshoe prominently displayed in the foreground. Yep, the new, sixth marshmallow was:[ul][li]purple horseshoes[/ul]And in a way, it fit. Not only were horseshoes a traditional good-luck charm, but purple was the only color of the rainbow not yet included in the Lucky Charms marshmallow oevre.[/li]
Or was it?

The six rainbow colors are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. Lucky Charms had pink hearts, orange stars, yellow moons, green clovers, blue diamonds, and purple horseshoes. But is “pink” really the same as red? In the old days of colored marshmallows, it was. The food coloring back in the days that Lucky Charms was introduced could only “lightly” color a marshmallow. Recall how the “green” clovers were only a faded green, and the “orange” stars were but a faint orange-whitish tint. A deep enough red to have made the pink hearts really red was impossible.

But technology marches forward. Soon, the General Mills team of colored marshmallow engineers had concocted a new food dye that could turn a marshmallow a true red color, not merely pink. Now they could have red hearts instead of merely pink hearts. But by now, the pink hearts were well-established. You can’t just change the colors of your traditional marshmallows and expect your loyal, nostalgic followers to stay true to your brand. No. You must create a new marshmallow. And that new marshmallow was:[ul][li]red balloons[/ul]But I’m getting ahead of myself. Before the red balloons were introduced, General Mills tried a little limited-time experiment to boost their sagging Lucky Charms sales. They rearranged the colors of the marshmallows. For a couple of months, Lucky Charms marshmallows consisted of:[/li]
[li]blue stars[/li][li]yellow diamonds[/li][li]orange moons[/li][li]purple clovers[/li][li]green hearts[/li][li]pink horseshoes[/li]
(I think. Actually, I’m only sure about the colors of the stars, diamonds, and moons. It was, after all, for a limited time only.)

After the colors had returned to their original, rightful places, then and only then was the red balloon introduced. And you’ve gotta wonder. What do balloons have to do with good-luck charms? (Okay, I can also hear you asking what do stars, moons, hearts, and diamonds have to do with good luck charms. The answer is they’re suits in a card deck or pagan symbols or other such things associated with superstition. But balloons are just balloons. Nobody reads balloon entrails to try to divine the future, or wears an inflated balloon animal around their neck for good luck.) CLearly, Lucky Charms had begun the long slide downhill away from their original, “pure” theme. We all knew it was only a matter of time before they added Star Wars characters or put Lucky the Leprechaun in an MTV music video or signed a deal with the Children’s Television Workshop to introduce “Elmo the Leprechaun.” But we persevered. We didn’t give up hope. After all, this is Lucky Charms we’re talking about here.

Soon after the technology for true red marhsmallows became available, a new breakthrough occurred. It was discovered that you could add the coloring agent to the marshmallow goop before it solidified, and then mix two different colors of liquid marshmallow together into their final mold. Upon discovering this great secret of the universe, General Mills embarked on yet another bold limited edition of Lucky Charms, this one involving:

[li]Two-toned swirled marshmallows in all 7 standard shapes.[/li]
Now, I can’t for the life of me remember which two colors each of the marshmallows was. But I do remember that each marshmallow shape was the same two colors throughout the box and throughout all the other boxes. I.e. if the first moon you picked up was swirled green and purple, that meant that all the other moons throughout Lucky Charmdom were also green and purple.

And once again, after the swirled colors promotion ended and Lucky Charms marshmallows once again settled back into the normal color and shape combinations, we got a new marshmallow added. This new marshmallow was the boldest yet. It took what the General Mills engineers had learned from their experience with swirled marshmallows, and used it to create a single marshmallow with 3 colors, where each band of color was deliberately shaped rather than randomly swirled. I can just see them slaving over their manufacturing equipment, toiling and tinkering away until they at last hit upon the brilliant combination that allowed three concentric bands of different-colored marshmallow to be poured into a single mold and harden into one unified striped shape. The new, 8th marshmallow was, of course:[ul][li]Blue, yellow, and red colored rainbows[/ul]And unlike balloons, rainbows were in keeping with the theme of leprechauns and good luck. After all, everyone knows that at the end of a rainbow, you’ll find a pot of gold guarded by a leprechaun. General Mills was finally getting back on track. The future of Lucky Charms looked brighter than it had in years.[/li]
Then came the biggest revision in the cereal’s history. Thanks to the ranbow marshmallow, General Mills now had the technology to make marshmallows with specific areas given specific different colors – and they went berserk with it. The clovers disappeared and were replaced with light-green leprechaun hats with a dark-green picture of a clover in the middle. The stars disappeared and were replaced with white shooting stars with an orange tail. Orange pots of gold, with a heap of yellow gold visible over the top, were added to the mix. The blue diamond went the way of the Dodo, and the formerly-yellow moon subsumed its blue color.

And as if all that weren’t bad enough, the next limited edition of Lucky Charms featured “around the world” marshmallows in shapes and colors never before seen by man. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

And yet …

In all that time … thoughout the turmoil of all the new marshmallow shapes and coloring technology, throughout the farewells to the clover, the star, and the diamond that still tug at our heartstrings down through the years … never, not once, has the array of oat-based cereal pieces that come with Lucky Charms changed their shapes.

Nice history, tracer, but you forgot the star-on-a-balloon marshmallow. Maybe a few others, too.

Now that that’s settled, how about Trix? I remember they used to be spheres about a centimeter wide that came in yellow, orange and purple (and maybe green? or red? Now I can’t remember). I don’t know what the hell’s going on with them now.

Wow, great answer, tracer! That was amazing.

I think now, only two things are still a mystery to me about Lucky Charms marshmallows. I think I remember in the back of my head some sort of Olympic-themed marshmallows from 1984. Does this ring a bell with anybody else? I have no idea what they are. Maybe I’m thinking of Mr. T. cereal.

Also, were any holiday marshmallows ever produced? I seem to recall stuff like this done for Cap’n Crunch, but can’t remember whether or not Lucky Charms ever followed this trend.
As far as Trix go, all I know is that they now come shaped like the fruit they represent and I still feel bad for that rabbit.

The cereal FAQ says that there was holiday marshmallows in in Lucky Charms. They were packages, candles, and other festive holiday marshmallows. Here is the link to the website http://www.wenet.net/~iandg/cereal.htm#3.7

One or two Christmases ago, there were also Rudolph marshmallows.

YIPPEEEE!!! General Mills responded to my e-mail to them today!! Here’s their reply:

<<Thank you for contacting General Mills with your inquiry. Below is the only
information we have at this time regarding the history of the Lucky Charms
marshmallows.

We hope you find this information helpful. Please let us know if we can
help you again.

Sincerely,

Glenda Ellis
Consumer Services

Lucky Charm’s Marshmallow Pieces

In 1964 L.C. Leprechaun began urging moms, “laddies” and “lassies” to buy
Lucky Charms, a “most exciting cereal,” and he has been echoing this message
ever since.

This “charm-in” cereal contains oat pieces in various lucky shapes of bells,
fish, arrowheads, cloverleaves and crossbars. What makes this cereal
unique, however, is the addition of colorful marbits (marshmallow bits) that
have delighted consumers for over 30 years.

Here is a little history about these “magically delicious” pieces:

The original product included four marbits:
Pink hearts
Yellow moons
Green clovers and Orange stars

In 1975 a fifth marbit was introduced - a blue diamond. The excitement was
overwhelming!

In 1984 Lucky Charms added a new marbit to the fabulous five - the purple
horseshoe

In 1986 a Swirled Whale made the scene, but was soon discontinued

In 1989 L.C. Leprechaun celebrated his 25th Anniversary in style by
introducing the seventh marbit -A new red balloon!

And so it goes…

See if you remember these additions and changes:

1990: Holiday Lucky Charms - (red and green marbits)

1992: Rainbow (blue, yellow and pink)

1994: Pot of Gold (yellow and orange)

1995: Blue Moon (which replaced the yellow moon)

1996: Dark green clover in light green hat (which replaced the green clover)

1996: Olympic Marbits (red white and blue stars, a gold medallion with a
yellow star in
the center, a red-white and blue rainbow, and a yellow and green
torch)

1997:Two colored twisted marshmallows (Moon, Balloon, Horseshoe, and Heart)
Hot Air Balloon (pink)

And Most Recently:

1998: Shooting Star (orange star with a white fan effect behind it)

1998: Trip Around the World event with 8 new shapes (gold pyramid, blue
Eiffel Tower, Orange Golden Gate Bridge, purple Liberty Bell, green and
yellow torch, pink and white Leaning Tower of Pisa, red and white Big Ben
clock and green and white Alps).

Look for new surprise shapes and colors! The sky’s the limit!!

>>

Thanks Glenda Ellis of the Consumer Services department!

Well, they missed the Holiday Marshmallows and the Earth Day Pine Tree “marbit,” but this seems to be a pretty full history! (I wonder if they’ll have any advice on Lucky Charms rice-krispy-type-sqaures?)

Just for the sake of posterity and 'cause I’m a little obsessed, I just wanted to add this:

I was in the grocery store last night and there in front of me was a box of Lucky Charms with yet another new Marbit! This time it’s a limited-edition white crystal ball. WHen soaked in milk, the crystal ball reveals a picture of “where Lucky is hiding.” (I guess there’s a map on the back of the box for reference.)

Man, I wonder what kind of new and fun chemicals we’re ingesting with this crazy color-changing Marbit?

For the record, I’ve made LC squares (not just marshmallows, but the entire box), and from what I can tell, one panfull was VERY close to fatal.

Highly reccomended :).

You could put some in with the Rice Crispies, but I don’t think you could use them as the marshmallow “binder”. Having very little to do today, I tried some stuff with the LC marshmallows. Microwaving them for 30 seconds made them very hot, but not soft. At one minute, they were a little soft but not gooey. At a minute and a half though, they were very gooey and it looked possible, but after 10 seconds they had cooled completely and became very brittle. Pressing on them rather lightly turned them into powder. Next I boiled up some water and put a few 'mallows in. Looked good for about 5 seconds and then they literally disappeared. For a split second I saw them start to separate, and then they just vanished completely.