I originally posted this to Great Debates because I remember it was the designated place to put religious witnessing and stuff like that.
It’s a song, with lyrics, both of which I wrote but haven’t recorded yet. I just felt like posting the lyrics. But they are kinda “preachy” or at least might hit some people that way.
What Exit snagged it for not being appropriate for Great Debates. It’s a good call. It is first and foremost a set of lyrics to a song I composed and Cafe Society is a better home for it.
Oughta Be
Have you ever woken up
from a Sunday morning suicide attempt
And said “Why”
And said “Why”
And said “Why am I?”
I know exactly who I am
And where I am
What I wanna know is why
Before I
Depart again
I wanna know why
Hey you out there, the one called God
Are you out there? If you’re not you ought to be
What about me? What about me? Do you care for me?
tune 1 not tune 2 yet
Hey God or Jesus I was told
You came down and saved the world
Then ran off to the sky
Well look around, look at us on the ground
Don’t be shy
different tune IV chord
They say you’ll come again some day
To save the world anew,
Set up some kind of glorious kingdom
well I’ve got a question or two
Do you have some type of complaint department
Since you’re in charge of this mess
If you’re the one they say you are
Why do you insist on staying far
We’re not free and hell’s in session
We got pain we got oppresion
We got lives of misery
orig tune
Have you ever looked around
After wallowing in your own misery
And seen a world in pain
And seen a world insane
With no one that you tend to envy
Still feeling sorry for myself
But discovering that I I got company
You call this a design
You think this is so fine
It’s a failure as far as I can see
Free us all from prisons and
Show us how to govern fair
And just do
What you plan to do
And show us that you care
instrumental bridge?
So if you plan to save us all
Why don’t you answer
When we call
Come on down, turn it around
If you’re real we need you
Hey you out there, the one called God
Are you out there? If you’re not you ought to be
What about me? What about me? Do you care for me?
I heard a voice so soft and mild
Saying “We take volunteers, my child, you see…
What about thee? What about thee?
Would you do that for me?”
It’s actually an autobiographical account. I know I’m a pretentiously arrogant person with my own opinions that I think everybody ought to pay attention to and all that. But it’s also about vulnerability and hope and stuff.