Macaroni and cheese: Noodles to everything else ratio (need answer fast!)

I’ve gotten really good at making macaroni and cheese, particularly the cheese sauce, but I’m still a little off on the ratio of noodles to cheese sauce. Either I make too few noodles or far too many. I have not heretofore been measuring the amount of noodles I’ve been putting in; this will change.

My other ingredients:

3 tbsp flour
3 tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups milk

It will feed two people, with each of us having seconds.

So, how many noodles should I use, as measured in cups? Need answer fast, please; I’ll be cooking the food within an hour.

A plateful (one serving) of pasta weighs at least 200 grams. That’s 100 grams when dry. Ratio of primary sauce ingredient to DRY pasta is 1:1.

So, 3 cups of macaroni noodles, then?

That will become six cups when cooked. Ok for two hungry people.

Thank you! I’ll let you know how it turns out! (I’d PM you some macaroni if we’d perfected that technology yet.)

I make mine with 2 cups of uncooked noodles and about the same amount of milk/butter/flour as you.

3 cups was good; one big hearty first portion and a smaller second portion, with leftovers. 2 might be better for next time. Will experiment. Thank you both!

My formula is

1 cup dry macaroni
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon butter
1 heaping tablespoon flour

and enough Lawry’s seasoned salt to make the béchamel slightly orange.

A box or two of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, a spoonful of margarine (‘spoon’ being a kitchen spoon for cooking with), two spoons of milk per box of KM&C, a slice of American cheese per box of KM&C, and a handful of Tillamook medium cheddar cheese. (And a little blue cheese if there’s any in the fridge.)

One of these days I’ll make macaroni and cheese from scratch; but around here the point is a quick, easy, tasty side-dish (or main dish for tuna mac).