Mad Men 2.10: The Inheritance, 10/05/08 (open spoilers)

Ah. It’s all coming back to me now. Remind me, Miss Ruby, how do we know they dated?

Man, as an admin, I wish I had Joan’s balls.

I think Ruby basically gave you the rundown, but here’s another data point:

In the premiere of the series, as Joan is showing Peggy the ropes, she mentions that she should learn whom to date and whom not to, so as to avoid any mistakes. Just then, Paul passes them in the hallway and says “Like that one.”

Also, during the election-results-watching episode, Paul and Joan have a conversation after the performance of Paul’s play that also references an earlier relationship.

Gotcha. Thanks.

I had similar thoughts. I did wonder whether something inappropiriate were gong to happen, as Betty is, however, comely & winsome, nuts.

Metal Men didn’t get their own comic until 1963. (And the one they showed wasn’t even one of the first ones at that.) Sheesh.

I had a similar thought and considered checking Wikipedia to see if I was right, but then I decided to give 'em a pass.

Well, if you’re going to get that picky about it, I don’t think “Telstar” was released until 1965 or so.

Wiki says August 1962 for Telstar.

I’m surprised they goofed on the comic book, but maybe 46-year-old comics in good condition are too expensive. Did the Metal Man comic’s cover fit the story line? Superman did, but I didn’t notice the other one.

That’s what I thought, especially when his face literally lit up–the sunlight climbing his face, like a curtain going up. In some way, he’s ready to play another part. Start a different life in California, and be Don Draper in NY?

Curtain going up – I like that.

But wherever you go, there you are. I’m hoping that he’ll discover something about himself in LA. The guy has some good instincts, particularly his loyalty to friends and clients. Philandering aside, he’s not a bad guy. I wonder if he knows that. How does he see himself? Mostly as a big phony, which is too bad.

I must have missed this. Mad Men’s dialogue is often difficult to parse. What was said at the baby shower?

I loved when Cooper dropped in to say happy birthday.

I also loved that the really quick scene with Paul on the bus consisted solely of Paul defending advertising as colorblind or some other pompous nonsense, and no other characters had any lines. He’s kind of an idiot, and Draper doesn’t seem to respect him. I wonder how he reached the level of copywriter that he did.

His deep and artistic intellectual act probably played well with some of the other partners. It wasn’t Draper that promoted him. We can be sure of that.

Jane’s gift was something really expensive and someone said something like “I bet Roger had something to do with that!”

Come on, doesn’t this show teach you that the characters aren’t one-dimensional? They’ve all got their flaws and their virtues.

Paul might be a poseur and a showoff at times, but that doesn’t mean he’s a complete fool and it doesn’t mean he isn’t a good copywriter.

For all his beard, brandy snifter & ascot, Paul is smart. And he will be getting some pretty advanced education Down South. So I’ve got hopes for him.

However, I still suspect that he will be the first guy at Sterling Cooper to wear a Nehru jacket…

I think that this episode wasn’t much of a stand alone, but it’s the “spinner” that sets up a lot of stuff in the future.

For example:

• Something will happen in LA that changes Pete and Don’s relationship, as well as possibly their home relationships (insert slash fiction joke here)

• Pete adoption storyline / Peggy giving kid up for adoption storyline.

• Betty and Helen(?) now sympathetic storyline

• Jane and Roger storyline

• Paul gets “religion” about bigotry beyond the phony effete snob thing he’s doing now.

• Married/daddy guy (forget name) and party girl… temptation now that he’s not getting it at home.

• Cooper losing it?

I think that’s 80% of it.

There was a white guy on the bus in glasses that looked earily like one of those slain. I wonder if they would actually go that far? That would surely wake Paul up.