Mama's Dyin' Who's Got the Will... NOBODY! THAT'S THE FUCKING PROBLEM!

or, THE LIONESS IN WINTER: “Whatever shall we do about Mother?”

I’ve spent the past week administering Suddenly Initiated Caregiving & Kinfolk /Maternally Affiliated Medical Assistance (SICK-MAMA). My mother is a hypochondriac on par with Ignatius Reilly and Fred Sanford but like most hypochondriacs she hates doctors because they’re so damned negative, insisting on the nonexistence of what she knows damned good and well is killing her. Consequently, she’s also somebody who when she calls to say “come home, I’m sick and I need you to take me to the doctor”, you grab a change of clothes and the dog and get in the car and go.

When I got in last week I honestly thought she was dying. She couldn’t breathe, she was in tremendous pain, her oxygen level was terribly low, she was weak and couldn’t hold food, etc… Let me here add that the old woman has more lives than any Calico who ever sprayed a davenport and for now at least she’s managed to pulled yet another recovery out of her sagging rump (due in part probably to my dear dead departed and in many ways deceased Daddy’s 24/7 lobbying of saints, pagan gods, prophets and anyone else in the Netherworld with healing powers to speed her recovery and give him a few more days without a reunion). She’s not “fine” or “well” and after a two day respite spent catching up on paperwork at my job I return first thing in the morning to play Pass the Mama with my sister (who’s been with her for the past two days). No idea how long I’ll be there.

Over the past week doctors have done everything short of sinking a gusher and claiming her for the Red Cross. She’s given 15 vials of blood, has had tests out and in the wazoo, has another round on Monday, but no results yet. I have a definite gut feeling that this could well be the end of Mama Sampiro. I hope that I’m wrong obviously- I’ve had definite gut feelings before that were- but I’m bracing. And I really don’t want to give the impression that I take this lightly- I don’t- but if I seem bitchy and self-centered and morbid it’s because that’s what I do because the alternatives being morose, answering in detail when a sales clerk asks “how’re you doing?” and ultimately walking through Wal-Mart at 3 a.m. dressed as Gilligan and Ginger and picking off people with what I think are aesthetically displeasing facial shapes.

So anyway, there were some wake-up call moments and I’d love to read your opinions on a couple of matters. Last week when I really felt she was sinking fast, seeing her in her bed with her hair messed up, her teeth out, her wrinkles all lit by moonlight, in pain, etc., she truly looked like she was 95 instead of 71. The next morning she woke up feeling much better, which made me more convinced she was dying because everybody I’ve ever known who died after an illness of a few days or a few months suddenly got better for a brief period (minutes, hours, a day at most) then sank fast and died. That’s when I went into the Dealing-With-Death (DWD) mode that I totally inherited from my mother and her Swiss ancestors I suppose, for she is the same.

Rather than crying and tearing clothes and comparison shopping for ashes and soot shampoo products I was (this may sound terrible) thinking, coldly and rationally and emotionlessly, "who do I know who could be pall bearers? Let’s see- there’s my friend S____, she likes him, my cousin the Trekkie Virgin but I don’t know if he could hoist his share, my cousin the pothead hypochondriac who’d probably decided he had a headache and drop his share halfway through… going through a mental rolodex of all her male friends just alerts me to the fact that neither of them are physically fit enough… there’s my ex-boyfriend who she once or twice or five times threatened to kill but he’s young and can lift… my sweet Lord but this poor woman’s going to be conveyed to Charon’s dinner cruise by friend S___ the straight hairdresser, one fag, two schizophrenics and a Mexican daylaborer picked up on the way to the cemetery- throw in two conjoined twin Little People throwing beads and you’ve officially got Mardi Gras in Hell”. And another thought at the same time: "Does she have a living will? I don’t know… I’ve asked and never gotten a straight answer unless it’s one that conflicts with the last straight answer. God knows how many times I’ve asked her to write one. I wrote one myself and assumed she would with the blank form I left on her computer, but nope… So this means her three children, not one of whom has her Power of Attorney, will be doing a Moe Larry & Curly out in the waiting room. My brother, who has “issues” with the woman (he’s the only one of her kids ever to really stand up to her and tell her where to get off when we were kids, but unfortunately he did it less due to self esteem and independence than the fact he’s obnoxious to everybody)- he’ll be in favor of pulling all plugs if she can’t remember whether she left the coffee pot on. I’m middle ground- no chance of surviving without machines or real expectation of improved quality of life ever, discontinue. My sister who believes in a God who literally once made blackberry juice magically appear on a grocery store shelf for the benefit of her mother-in-law would be in favor of keeping a severed head on life support as long as it looked natural when connected to a mannequin. Who wins?

And other thoughts… like, “Hey, this means I can write ALL the stories I want to put in the book and don’t have to filter the bathroom incident of ’81… STOP THAT! YOU’RE BEING A SELFISH COLD ASSHOLE! WE ARE NOT STOP TELLING US TO STOP IT PISSANT… WHO’S THERE? WE ARE LEGION… I’M NOT, I’M JUST KIND OF CRASHING HERE WHILE THE GUY I USUALLY POSSESS IS IN A BRIEF COMA…* THE REST OF US ARE LEGION….* HEY LEGION, I’M BARB, I’LL BE OUT AS SOON AS MY GUY WAKES UP…* WELL WE SAY THAT * STTTTTTTTTOP IT!

And then yet another thought occurs. I’m thinking of pallbearers, but then I remember that like me Mama finds the prospects of embalming and burial somewhere between barbarically repulsive and hysterically funny. A dead body preserved for no apparent reason in a multithousand dollar box under a multithousand dollar headstone and vault and slab of varnished granite nobody’s ever going to visit, basically a bacteria orgy in dark storage 6 feet under some long dead Indian’s rabbit hunting ground… nah ah. We’re not Egyptians and we’re not Fundamentalists, we don’t believe in literally physical resurrection of the bodies (can you imagine anything more horrifying than Judgment Day if that’s really true- The physical resurrection- 90 million incontinent old people with Alzheimers and no blood or vital organs stumbling around trying to find Jell-O and their noon meds and the doll they lost when they were seven while bitching to guys who died of gunshot wounds and malaria about the heat… yuk) and frankly if the Fundamentalist Demiurge really is in power and really can’t do anything for (or to) those whose bodies were disposed of then I think we’ve found a great loophole cause neither of us are going to do well under His rule. I know for a fact my mother wants anything usable in her body harvested (I can’t imagine that would be much except perhaps for education purposes) and the rest used as a cadaver, cremated, and the ashes poured into the Gulf of Mexico.

I’m thinking about the fact that my sister, who is a Fundamentalist and does believe in physical resurrection, is going to shit howler monkeys over my mother being carved up by sorority girls and then incinerated and tossed to the fishies in the deep blue sea. Should my loyalties then in the absence of written wishes go to my mother, who even if there is a Netherworld probably couldn’t care less what happens to the meatbag she once lived in, or do I honor my sister’s wishes because she’s here and now and I have to know her forever and it really does bother greatly that Mama doesn’t want a burial? Should I honor the dead or the living… hmmm.
Would it be okay if I concede “let her be buried, but only after she’s been used as a cadaver” and with the insistence that
1- she NOT be buried next to my father (she’s VERY clear on that) but either some plot in Montgomery or perhaps one of the hillbilly boneyards in the backwoods where her relatives are in turd
2- she be buried in the cheapest metal casket available (she’s always been very clear on that- she thinks that spending $10,000 on a (for no apparent reason lined and quilted) box is the ultimate in idiocy- she even felt this with her parents and her husband (though my father wanted the Cadillac of ossuaries so she honored his wishes])

or

3- Should I do what I know my mother wants done and let the chips and bits of gristle and bone fall where they may (the Gulf of Mexico) even though I know it will hurt Kathy? Again, I don’t know think this is written out, but even if it is and signed in blood Kathy will not want to honor it, of that I’m positive.
Let me here add at risk of protesting too damned much: I have very powerful and complex emotions about my mother. I really am not making light of her suffering, but this really is how I deal with impending death- detach and think of the practical and delay the breakdown til later, if ever. (Before my father’s body was removed from the house I had already located [in a home with no electricity during an ice storm just for melodramatic effect] his will, his insurance policy [which it turned out the old bastard had cashed in to buy, among other things, bull semen- but am I bitter? Absolutely] and removed the old slats from a broken antique bed and made kindling since we were out and the wood outside was frozen.])

But I decided the time was nigh that my sister and I, and to a lesser degree her husband and to a even lesser lesser degree our mother, convene a Family Wann See Conference and discuss the “Final Solution” to the Mama problem.

THE WANN SEE FAMILY SINGERS

You can search some of my sisters’s various brainstorms on these boards. Many things she’s offered without ever coming through with also, others she has, you never know.

In the recent past her suggestions for how to care for Mama in her declining years have included everything from buying a house for me to live in with my mother and the dogs here in Tuscaloosa (thanks sis, I love you too), or moving me and my mother to one of her properties down south (whether or not I wanted to go wasn’t really that important an issue to her, it was just assumed I would [the problem with having moved back to AL because of these people]), or hiring a Mexican to live with Mama (if there is one thing that elderly white Southern women L-O-V-E, it’s the opportunity to have a dark skinned stranger who speaks a different language walking around their house with full access to their stuff, their meds, and the pillow that could smother them next to their bed).

A few months ago she was offering to buy Mama a house close to her place (or more precisely, she wanted Mama to sell the place in Montgomery, invest the equity in a place down there and Kathy would pay for whatever cost more than my mother’s house because equal houses in Baldwin County sell for about twice what they do in Montgomery County). Mama was excited about this for a few minutes but it came to naught because neither would ever budge or make a firm commitment. Then Kathi moved from “buy her a house” to "I’ll build her a one or two BR guest house on the same lot as my river house. (This lot is huge- an 1890s boarding house [lots of tiny rooms upstairs and two big great rooms downstairs, odd house] well over 200 feet from the house to the river- there’s plenty of room.) Mama didn’t want to do this because it wouldn’t really be hers, which I can actually semi-understand. She worked very hard to get her townhouse in Mgy and she wants to keep a sense of “her” space.

So this week Kathy’s buzzword was "Jon needs to live in Fairhope, Alabama ", the most wonderful place on earth, the beauty of the World all in one tax colony. “Fairhope’s a writer’s colony” “Fairhope’s wonderful” “Fairhope’s building a five million dollar library extension” “Fairhope’s great for dogs” “Fairhope has no Wal-Marts” “Fairhope’s great SQUAWK! Fairhope’s a pretty city pretty city! SQUAWK!” and Mama would move into the as yet unbuilt guest house again and Kathy would give a lifetime lease or some such nonsense.

I tried to explain to Kathy that in a town the size of Fairhope (13,500) where real estate prices have doubled in the last decade and the median income is more than I would probably make as a public librarian IF I could get and would want a job there I probably couldn’t find decent housing. “Fairhope’s a pretty city pretty city SQUAWK! Winston Groom Fannie Flagg! Cracker! Give me a cracker! SQUAWK! Pretty city!” and offered to help me buy or rent a place. This may or may not mean as she’s offered millions more than she actually has in help that never materialized by now probably, plus I’m damned near 40 and don’t want to rely on anybody for part of my support.

She also told me about the job opening in Mobile (how she knew about it I’m not really sure but I was familiar with it already- it’s even more or less up my alley as an instruction librarian, the only problem being that I have never once in my life had the least desire to live in Mobile. It’s a great city for nightlife I understand, but I don’t drink and hate crowds almost as much as I hate loud music. It’s hot as hell, it has the worst designed roads and interstate systems I’ve ever seen plus which… well, I don’t wanna. Simple as that. I hate heat, I’m that rare individual who hates the beach and the coast, and I would probably be less bothered by Alaskan winters than 10 straight days of 100% humidity 110 degree heat index.

So, she called me yesterday to run another plan by me, having for some reason somehow finally gotten Fairhope SQUAWK! out of her system. This time she proposed a plan that is strangely… logical. Almost… workable. And I would be interested in hearing your opinions as Montgomerians and people who know me and have met my mother and know about the family dynamitics, etc…

Okay:

Objectively True Statement: Neither me nor my sister can happily live under the same roof as my mother. We both love her very very much, but she drives us batshit crazy. In addition to this I have two extra issues, the first being that I spent 30 years living in a variety of homes with the woman, thank you very much, and on the worst day of my life since leaving her home I’ve never once said “Man, things would be better if I were back with Mama”, and secondly- she made a comment in 1999 that made me say to her “Until you apologize for that I will never live in the same city with you or within an hour of you”- she knows what she said, she knows the rules, I have never broken the rules, I withdrew candidacy from a job at two jobs because they were within an hour of the woman (the second because she said something to the effect of “I guess you finally realized I don’t apologize”).
Again to borrow a LION IN WINTER reference “I know that she is sorry for saying what she said, she knows that I know she’s sorry for saying it, I know that she knows that I know she’s sorry for saying it and she knows that I know it. We’re a knowledgeable family”, but even so she’s never apologized and I have a modicum of pride in the matter.

Objectively True Statement: Mama’s old (older than her 71 years really) and in ill health and will come to need more and more care from her children in whatever time she has left be it meaurable in hours, months, years or decades.

Objectively True Statement: My brother’s not going to do anything but the bare minimum (i.e. Christmas gifts and birthday cards and occasional visits when he’s in the neighborhood anyway) because he’s self absorbed, can’t stand her and has a family of his own.

Objectively True Statement: The foundation of most people’s financial security is the equity in a home and I do not own one and I do not have the downpayment for one and I do not want to ask my sister for the money.

Objectively True Statement: I have no ties or allegiance to my current employer beyond “they pay me to do a job and I do it”, or to the profession of librarianship for that matter.

Objectively True Statement: My mother’s townhouse in Montgomery being less than a minute’s walk from the grounds of the Art Museum/Shakespeare Festival and three blocks from a neighborhood where houses start in the six figures, it is not likely to go down in value.

So Kathy’s suggestion:

She will build the guesthouse, a place on stilts overlooking the river on her property, because “it’s a hell of a lot cheaper to build down here than to buy down here and later on I can rent the place or turn it into a caretaker’s cottage”. Mama will be involved in the design and building of it. She will move as much of her furniture as she cares to bring into the place to have her own sense of belonging.

I will look for a job in Montgomery. When I find one I will move into Mama’s house. Her house payment is less than my rent, so I will take the place over (like Clemenza did the Corleone compound). Mama will still have an interest in the place but the mortgage will either be placed in my name or there will be a survivorship drawn- it goes solely to me upon her death- whichever. The money that I pay for the mortgage will build equity, will free up $550 of Mama’s retirement income allowing her to do more, and when she dies I will have a house that I can live in, sell, burn for the insurance, whatever.

Whenever there is a hurricane or evac (about once a year on average) the Montgomery house will continue to be the point of refuge and of course Mama can visit me like she does now (once every few months). Christmases and holidays will be held in TBD places.

Okay:

Kathy wins in that she can keep her pledge to help Mama while at the same time increasing her property value (the guesthouse), not have to live with Mama (but will be close enough to check on her) and not have to pay as much as it would cost to buy a new house.

I win in that I get a house in a city I’m familiar with and start building equity therein.

Mama wins in that she gets $540 per month extra, a place on a river and the house remains in her family and inner circle and I’m 2.5 hours away by Interstate.

Then two downsides occur:

1- I don’t have a lot of cash, which means that if the air conditioning gives out or whatever I have to borrow against the equity to make repairs. This could be bad.

2- I think we may see the Temple rebuilt before that damned stilt house. In my mother’s more disposing moments she doodles plans that are essentially Biltmore on stilts while my sister doodles plans that look like something Spanky and Alfalfa and Buckwheat would use as a He Man Woman Hater’s Country Retreat, so that’s going to be interesting.

3- The big one: I find a job in my salary range and Clemenza the townhouse. Two weeks later my sister oversalts my mother’s morning grits. Mama pulls a gun, shoots three squirrels, brings her obese terrified dog and a suitcase and her mini SUV and comes back to Montgomery. I not only am living within an hour of her, I’m living in the same house with her.

So, your opinions:

1- What would you do when the time comes for the Kathy/Mama funeral wishes showdown?

2- Is Kathy’s suggestion about the house switchover feasible?

3- Any suggestions on how to do the “Mama stay gone” thing to prevent the scenario above from happening.
BUT WAIT THERE’S MORE, NAMELY THE TITLE OF THE THREAD, and that’s coming in a moment.
Meanwhile, I’ll leave with some

MEMORABLE EXCHANGES FROM THIS PAST WEEKEND (when all 3 siblings were present for Mother’s Day):

Kathy: So what name did you give me in this book you’re writing?
Me: Rebekah Tess Dermott. My pseudonym is Jonathan Dermott. Dermott’s the original Gaelic form of Darby.
Kathy: Think your readers would know that?
Me: That would defeat the purpose.
Kathy: Well if it’s made into a movie who’s gone play me?
Me: A computer generated Vivien Leigh.
Kathy: That’s cool. I’d get Carol Burnett to play Grandmother since Chief Dan George is dead, and maybe Delta Burke to play Mama. Are you writing this down?
Me: I’ll remember it.
Kathy: You say that now but then next thing you know they’ll be asking who you want and I don’t want some drugged up hippie Wicca actress playing me. Who’s gonna play Daddy?
Me: Tom Hanks. It’ll be easy- all he has to do is reprise his role from THE LADYKILLERS.
Kathy: Like hell! I’m not having some retard playing man in a dress playing blasphemer be my Daddy!
Me: Well, Daddy’s religious views weren’t exactly conventional…
Kathy: He was a Presbyterian!
Me: He went to a Presbyterian Church, but his views were a blend of Gnosticism, Deism and Mysticism!
Kathy: Known in common speak as Presbyterian.
Me: Whatever. I don’t think Tom Hanks is a blasphemer.
Kathy: He made that damned Opie movie said Jesus and Mary Magdalene were having sex. I won’t even watch ANDY GRIFFITH any more cause of that movie.
Me: I don’t think Ron Howard gets residuals from it.
Kathy: I don’t care. Barney should have shot that little blaspheming redheaded bastard when he had a bullet.
Me: I often wonder how often you’re being serious, but I don’t think I really want to know.
Kathy: You got that right.

My brother, on why his daughter going to Harvard: The main reason I’m sending her there is for networking. I think she’ll make contacts there that would blow anything at Auburn to shame.
Kathy: I thought she wants to be a doctor?
D: She does.
Kathy: What the hell does she need with contacts? She just needs sick people.
D: Well, contacts will help her get into the best med schools.
K: That’s UAB. She doesn’t need a Harvard contact to get her into a frigging medical school in her own back yard.
D: Ideally she’ll go to Harvard Medical School. How many people have heard of UAB versus how many have heard of Harvard?
Kathy: How many people give a damn where their doctor graduated from as long as it’s not Carlos and Pedro’s Universidad de Medicine and Taco Hut? UAB’s one of the leading medical schools in the country, does some incredible gazillion dollar research and she could get in-state tuition.
D: But she couldn’t make the contacts she’d make at Harvard.
K: Well shit, if you just want her to make contacts for when she’s a doctor send her to a freaking leper colony!
D: Most lepers don’t have insurance.
K: Well if she goes to UAB she can do some pro bono work cause it won’t cost a million dollars to educate her cause it’s in state. And I’d never go to a doctor from Harvard, I don’t need some snooty snob looking at my insides and snickering cause I pronounced Picassa wrong.
D: PicassO.
K: Like I give a damn how he said his name when my innards need transplanting! Just proves my point. UAB doctor for me. When I wanted contacts I went to the Costco Vision Center.
D: You don’t understand the way the world operates.
K (incensed): Well, I went to one of the ritziest private schools in the state with the kids of a governor and a billionaire and the president of Guatemala and I didn’t like them then and I haven’t talked to or wanted to talk to a single one of those frigging snobs since I left, and yet somehow I’m a hell of a lot richer than you and most of them. I think I must understand something! Send the kid to UAB. Mama pass the corn. How you feelin’ Mama?
Mama: Not good.
K: Well maybe we can take you down to the park where you can make some contacts and feel well.

IMHO, if this is what the poor woman wants, then you might try suggesting to her that she get some of it down in writing - or at least sign a statement to this effect that you prepare for her. Good luck to you all.

I am pretty sure that arrangements to be a cadaver have to be made well in advance–it’s not a simple matter of calling for pickup. So if that’s what mama really wants–and it may not be, there’s a complex sort of self-deprecation in “oh, just give my body to science. I don’t want to be a bother” when someone really wants the biggest memorial in five counties–she, or someone, needs to call the closest place that offers gross anatomy (They have a med school at UA, don’t they? And I’ve heard that Oakwood College in Huntsville offers gross anatomy, oddly enough, as part of their pre-med program. I am not sure that is true) and start making arrangements.

That wouldn’t be Judson, would it? Because it only qualifies as “one of the ritziest private schools in the state” because the state is Alabama.

PART 3: INTESTATE IS ANOTHER WORD FOR YOU JUST BOUGHT THE BASTARD 1000 IZODS!

So, my mother had assured me some while ago that she did in fact have a will. She does, I found out.

It just happens to be unsigned.

And unwitnessed.

And holographic in a state where the legality of holographic wills is debatable.

Which is to say, she doesn’t. It’s akin to saying “I have a swimmer’s body… it’s just under a few layers of fat and slothful muscles at the moment”.

Now, I won’t sugarcoat or paint myself as utterly noble: I WANT my mother’s estate. There, I said it, but before I sound totally bastardish, let me say

1- My brother and sister don’t need it. They’re both independently wealthy, in large part because their educations were paid for by my father while my college fund was being used to pay a guy to jack off a Hereford bull (among other things- he used the cashout for several things but that’s just the one that stuck in my craw- no imagery intended, plus Ronald Wilson Reagan of Blessed Memory who my father canvassed for changed Social Security Laws that also screwed me over a bit).

2-I lived with the woman for 30 years. When we lived in an apartment complex she managed for schizoaffective adults I did her job for her when she was in too big a depression or too pissed off or too sick. I faked Ouija board messages from beyond to keep her from killing herself and lied my ass off to give her hope when there was none. I let her use me as a pawn in battles with my father that (another LiW ref) would have raised Eleanor’s nipples with envy (though eventually I moved across the board and became a queen). I FUCKING EARNED EVERY PENNY I GET FROM THE ESTATE (which isn’t a lot, my mother’s not rich, but she has money in the bank and a nothing-to-sneeze-at equity in her house and life insurance policy).

3- See 2 again.

Now, if my mother dies indigent, that sucks, but I have a skill, I’ll manage, and I’ll still spend as much time as I can taking care of her. But the thoughts of her estate being eaten in full or in part by probate costs and state fines (which can be as much as 33% on intestate estates) sickens me. Add to this that my brother would inherit a full third and he flatly doesn’t deserve it- I have far fewer problems with my sister inheriting a share (which she could use to wipe her ass with when her bearer bonds are out of arms reach).

I would honestly rather see half her estate go to Katrina victims or to a former employee she’s fond of (a young black woman who calls her Mama) or to the Museum of Eskimo Pie Art than to the state and my brother. So I approached my mother about the subject the other day. “I’ve been meaning to get to it.”

WELL FUCKING GET TO IT!

HELL, I WOULD RATHER NOT RECEIVE A SINGLE FUCKING DIME FROM THE ESTATE AND KNOW THAT IT WENT TO WHO SHE DESIGNATED THAN TO SEE IT WASTED IN PROBATE AND TAXES AND SHIT!

But at the same time it’s hard to get hardass on a mother who’s in pain and may in fact be dying. So I decided to approach my sister to help me in a “please try to explain the urgency of this”.

Kathy: “Well I don’t blame her. I don’t have a will either other than a survivorship with my husband.”

This fucking floored me. My sister owns four houses, all paid for, she has a portfolio of at least a million dollars, she owns rental property and farmland and vacation condos (as rental property) and cash accounts and has interests in a drugstore and God alone knows what else and literally owns a warehouse filled with her own furniture and clothes and personal effects. Now I seriously doubt I will outlive my sister as she’s only 8 years older than I am and lives a whole lot healthier, but thereagain I can’t stand the thoughts of her estate being eaten in taxes and probate, but then again

YOU’RE NOT SEVENTY-ONE AND VERY SICK!

My sister conceded I had valid points about both the will and the living will and the P.o.A. and the like, but she told me I’m being insenstive to bring it up right now. She then said something that is just quintessential Kathy about whether my mother who might be dying should make a will saying what she wants done with her remains, her property, her household items, etc.:

“Let’s wait and talk to her about that when she’s well.”

my expression

or maybe this

or at risk of being trite…
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Alright, darling… let’s… those tests they’ve been giving Mama… you know that they’re uh… not to determine if she’s the Grand Duchess Anastasia or of Cantonese ancestry, right? We need to do this now. Mama needs to understand that I don’t know her wishes. It was only this week I learned that she’d (you’ll love it)

FUCKING CHANGED HER MIND ABOUT BEING CREMATED!

I could have valiantly struggled to champion my mother’s desire to finally merge forever with her ashtray for naught! She wants to be buried (“but nowhere near your Daddy I mean it!”).

I don’t know what credit cards she has, what her debts are, what her account numbers are, if she wants a religious or secular funeral, who she wants to say the eulogy, does she want to be kept alive by machines or not? I know she loves Angie (the former employee) and would probably like to leave her something- I don’t want to give Angie three pots and two platters and a deck of cards to remember my mother by if Mama would rather her have $2,000 and the dining table, and vice versa. Does she want me to executor or Kathy or a stranger?

IT’S NOT HARD. SHE’S NOT LEAVING AN ESTATE LIKE WILLIAM RANDOLPH HEARST’S- IT’S A HOUSE AND FURNISHINGS AND SOME MONEY (not a lot). The will could be done in a page. While I will say again YES, I would like to be the main heir, I’ll accept her wishes if I’m not, but for God’s sake say what you want!

Of course I read the last will she wrote, the one that she didn’t sign and have witnessed I’m guessing. I came across it on MS WORD. She did indeed leave everything to me, bequeathing my sister $1 and best wishes and love with the explanation “I would leave her more but she does not have any need for it and has more than ample funds and property of her own” and bequeathing my brother $1 with the explanation “I’d leave him more but anything of mine he ever wanted he just took and it’s clear he wants nothing to do with me”. What a lovely way to say a posthumous Fuck You, Mama… what’s in store for me, praytell? A $2 million insurance policy you never mentioned that’s payable to me upon the birth of my fourth child with a wife of your choosing “and the child must be biological and tell him kids bought from Asia or born to lesbians don’t count and he must present pictures of the conception!” or what…

Anyway, I’ve had it. Shey may or may not be dying and I truly mean it when I say there’s not one financial incentive at play when I say I hope she’s not (unless she’s just going to decline). She was doing much better earlier this week, then when I had to go back to work late Wednesday (I live 2 hours away) and she was alone for one night she insisted on mopping the floor, tripped, and did herself some significant injury in addition to what she had already and allowing anybody within 40 feet of my cubicle to hear the huge “GODDAMN IT OLD WOMAN! I TOLD YOU KATHY AND I WILL DO ANY FUCKING HOUSEWORK THAT NEEDS DOING!” (my finger was on the mute, but I had to say it) but luckily school’s between sessions and most of the co-workers know a few of my Mama stories.

And now she seems to be fading again and scared of her test results. And she has reason to be. I’m scared of them, but I’m more irritated by waiting. And to top it all off her dog has diarrhea, probably because he’s nervous (he really really loves her [Stockholm Syndrome’s a powerful thing] and is probably worried). But in a few hours I’ll be back there. Monday should tell the story.

So does anybody have any suggestions for how to convince an easily offended cantankerous old woman who may be very very very ill to make a will before she’s in an oxygen tent? A living will if nothing else would be nice, because I don’t pretend to know what she wants anymore.

At least there was a great Mama moment this week. On a day when she felt more up she insisted that I take her to KOHL’S, a department store that has a 15% senior’s discount. I tried to convince her she was overestimating her strength and I was right, but at least the folks at KOHL’S finally (I’m condensing a long story because I’ve got to go to bed) got to see the 40 point on the Dixiephrenia Scavenger Point: a fat gay son pushing his mama who’s pushing a buggy in which is loaded her oxygen tank and the collision of the entire train with a display of George Foreman Grills, followed by my mother’s line (which included the F word, which she never uses):

“Oh fuck this, I’m not ready to go anywhere and if I were they don’t even have the goddamned $39.99 Food Saver they advertised! Just take me home to die or watch Judge Judy, I don’t care which.” Of course either way, she asked me to get her a banana split on the way home.

Unfortunately she’s sunk a bit since then. I wont’ be hypocritical enough to ask anybody to pray for her- even if I were religious I’d have to insist prayers be redeployed to those more worthy of divine intervention than a bipolar 71 year old unrepentant heavy smoker- but, send some hope and good will that she’ll recover and be happy again (or her version thereof). Probably won’t help her any, but it can’t hurt. And warts and all I do quite love the old woman, even when I don’t, and I actually mean that.

And any advice on the questions asked would be most appreciated (even if I disagree with it).

Ciao for now (and possibly for a few days)

No, she was referring to her high school, a private academy in Montgomery whose tuition is currently ungodly (far higher than any public university tuition and board). Kathy hated it, but graduated valedictorian.

Can’t you harp on the whole “dying intestate=paying the state for the sin of not having a lawyer set up your will” thing to her to get her sign something about her posthumous wishes?

OTOH, my father, in one of his rare moment of speaking about his father (whom I never had the opportunity to meet, Praise little green aliens!) once let loose with the final indignity that his father set upon him: My grandfather died intestate.

And he was a bar-qualified lawyer!

If Momma is this close to death, QUIT FUCKING POSTING AND GO SPEND THE TIME MOMMA HAS LEFT WITH HER.

My Mom passed away last year on Mother’s Day.

The weekend before, knowing she was not doing good, I didn’t go see her and I will regret that for the rest of my life.
You’ve shared Your ups and downs with Momma here on the board.
It’s time You shared Your ups and downs with Momma with Momma.

Oh trust me, I will be. I was with her until I absolutely had to come back to work last Wednesday for a super important meeting, I have a commitment at 9 a.m. this morning and upon its completion a few minutes later I’m going there until she’s better or I’m relieved. The last time she was seriously ill (ICU and expected to die) I spent a month sleeping on chairs, sleeping bags and propped against ICU walls, I do not take her suffering lightly. Posting here was a way of releasing steam on a night when I had to be here, my sister is with her, and through concern and Adderall in some order I couldn’t get to sleep, not a mixup in priorities I quite assure you.

I’m sincerely sorry about your mother.

That said, Fuck yourself for anything you may be implying about my filial devotions.

It’s not a big deal at all. We’ve done it numerous times in my family. There’s a form and a phone call. My dad set my mom’s up a week or so in advance, but we’ve done post-death ones as well.

I should add that you need a go-between; you don’t deal direct with the school. You hand the body over to a mortuary and they work out the transport with the school.

Here’s a sentence I never ever ever thought I’d compose in verbo, opere, cogitatione et omissione…

I’m very sorry Jesus.

I’m a bit on edge and think I interpreted your post far more offensively than it was intended. I sincerely apologize.

Officially off and running now.

Honey, there’s only one way to get Mama to do anything about her will: you’ve got to get her pissed off and pissed off good. Not at you; she’s got to get up Righteous Indignation for what will happen if she dies intestate. It won’t be pretty, but you’ve got to do it or suffer through the nightmare you know is coming. This is what had to happen with my Mom, except I was fortunate in having it done for me by a lawyer for her uncle’s widow. She should have been the main (if not sole) heir of an estate that would have been worth over 2 million dollars in the 1970’s. Instead, she got a measly 5000 bucks.

Best wishes for you and Mama with whatever happens.

First, an observation: Dying people don’t think about buying food savers. Sick people might. Dying people have other things on their minds.

Second, to address the questions:

Whatever arrangements you end up with, it needs to be crystal clear to Kathy that any extras like marble statues and strolling boy choirs or whatever are something she needs to hire/buy on her own time and pay for on her own credit card. From what you’ve written of Kathy, I suspect she’ll probably get enthused about the simple pine box thing.

Only if it includes regular in care nursing visits. And a maid or possibly a cook. It sounds like your will need more than just occasional visit from a busy daughter.

Also, you mentioned a stilt house. Are there stairs involved? Lots of them? Is the place wheelchair accessible?

Assisted living sounds like a much much better choice.

Honestly, no. If the understanding is it’s still “her home” then she’s going to treat it like one. The only answer is to get your own place.

I think you need to separate the issues. Where your Mother resides should be one plan and should be what’s best for her. Where you reside is your own business and shouldn’t depend on what’s best for someone else. You can’t jump every time someone get a wilde idea. It’s bad for your knees.

Talk to a probate lawyer. They handle this problem five times a day. Maybe hire a lawyer to explain to your mother how much the state will take in taxes unless she makes plans now.

Do not tell the lawyer that you want your mother’s estate. In fact, just assume it’s going to pay for medical bills and let whatever happens down the road be a windfall.

Beyond that, take care of yourself too.

Sampiro, can you not print off the holographic will and have her sign it?

Your mother seems as stubborn as all get-out (lady wrestlers are like that, I’ve heard :wink: ) and I don’t know that you’re going to get anything out of this other than grief and a whole passel of new stories.

That said, do you think Kathy made the offer of the house on stilts knowing…ahem…your mother may not live long enough to see it completed, but she still scores points for the offer?

I’m so sorry your mother is ill. I hope she pulls through, but unless she gets scared and pissed off about the gummint takin’ all her hard-earned wealth, I don’t know that you’re going to convince her.

Good luck.

Sampiro, sweetie, I don’t have anything of value to add. I just wanted to say I’m really sorry you’re going through all this shit right now. I’m sorry about your Mama and I’m sorry it’s all so difficult. I hope you can convince her about the will.

I sending positive thoughts your way!

If I needed an apology, I’d demand you write it on papyrus, preferably Zig-Zags. But Jobs will do if that’s the only one’s you got.

We’re :cool:

tldr

Wait, what? How can she have a holographic (handwritten) will in MS Word?