[QUOTE=Guinastasia]
Before this starts into a hijack, MY theory as to why we hear more about battered women, and why it was always seen as worse to hit women than men is simply because men tend to be PHYSICALLY stronger than women. Not all the time, but the majority.
Take my parents, for example. If my mother were to slap my father across the face, using all of her strength, she’d probably leave a pretty good bruise on his cheek. On the other hand, if my father were do the same, again, using all of his strength, my mother would probably end up with a dislocated and/or broken jaw, and probably lose most of her teeth.
[/QUOTE]
Good lord, not only am I agreeing with you, Guin, but I’m doing so in the Pit. Make a note in your journal. 
I’m six foot two, and..uh…pudgy. My wife is four foot eleven. I, however, am a devout pacifist ( much as I might rage with the pen here, I don’t believe in violence face to face in any form ). My wife, OTOH, is a 1st don Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do. When we fight verbally, she’s the one to throw pillows, slam her fists into the wall and so on.
Were she ever to lose control and beat me, I wouldn’t raise a hand to stop her. I’d run like hell, yeah- but hit back? Nope. As Guin pointed out, sheer physicality would mean I might harm her terribly, in a way she might or might not harm me.
I know that I would be arrested immediately for abusing her and thrown into jail, blood and injuries notwithstanding. -shrug- It is the way of the world. Abused husbands are but a tiny percentage next to abused wives/ female partners. Doesn’t mean they shouldn’t also have a safe place to go. Just means the entire law enforcement/judicial/ social attitude position is to arrest the male, and protect the female. Because the numbers justify this approach.I don’t agree with it, but I completely understand it.
I’ve no clue where the womens shelter is in my county, and I have friends who work in Social Service and have takena few injured women to the local hospital when I rode with the ambulance corps. We were never asked to transport someone to the shelter- it was done completely off the radar, by hospital persoonal
Cartooniverse