Mangling Your Moniker

I don’t know about my screenname, but my real last name is pronounced very close to Neanderthal and I’ve heard it a thousnd times. ("OOO, THAT’S funny! I’ve neard heard that one before! :rolleyes: )

Lisa-go-down? Sorry! You asked for help… :slight_smile:

Some folks insist on capitalizing my username.

Let’s see, Manhattan called me “stupid motherfucker” in one thread, but that’s not exactly a play on the name.

Rooves: cellars, toilets, grooves

I’d like to see you try.

Hmmmm… ten hundred one ten ten… but that’s pretty feeble, isn’t it?

Ahhhh… Hey, On-Off – figured out your state yet? Haw Haw Haw!!

How’s that, 1010011010? :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok. You asked for it.

1,010,011,010 wasted breaths, 1,010,011,010 blank thoughts, 1010011010 reasons you’re a redneck, .1010011010% chance of being right. OR “Numbers boy” OR 1010011010th try and still didn’t get it right!

:smiley:

People have insisted on calling me Flamesterette at times, but that’s mostly a typo at work.

From the way SOME people think it’s pronounced, we could go on all sorts of variations about flaming.

F_X

May I briefly hijack my own game? Rooves, you said:

I’ve been thinking this over for most of the day, and find that I have to disagree with you on which is more insulting, at least to me. (I can’t speak for others, of course.) I’d rather be called stupid, or jackass, or f**king idiot, or stuff like that, than to have my moniker twisted into a weapon against me. Somehow, the latter would be more… personal. Somehow, it would feel more like an attack on my very identity than on my stubborn refusal or stupid inability to see another person’s point of view.

Consider how much power there is in a name. There’s another thread going right now (sorry, can’t recall which one so I can link to it) in which the participants have been debating whether there’s a difference in offensiveness between calling someone a faggot or a fundie (sort of a nature versus nurture distinction). The Navaho, among many other cultures, have a public and a secret name – and the secret name, if discovered by an enemy, puts its bearer in that enemy’s power. A rose by any other name might smell as sweet, but would poets compare their loves to, say, a snakewort?

I’m not explaining this very well, dammit! But, Rooves, this is my take on why some people have gotten so riled up about having their screen identities mangled deliberately. No doubt others aren’t bothered by it at all. But I suspect (with no proof to back me up) that this gut-level reaction to having one’s core identity seemingly attacked is why name-twisting is looked askance at on this board.

At least, that’s my take on it. I could be completely wrong – wouldn’t be the first time.

Okay, end hijack – now back to the game!

Since I love horses, how about ReallySillyFilly? Although I’m more of an old gray mare. :wink: Or… LoopyPoopyGroupie!

So, F_X, does it rhyme with “hamster”? That could be a springboard to a lot of fun.

Hooha!

You mugs think you got it tough?

LisaMasturbator?
:smiley:

Don’t you dare call me Blond. :smiley:

I do shorten some User names - for example Quasi…because it just sounds right for the moment.

I hear you on your hijack, EddyTeddyFreddy - I’ve tried hard, but my Southern charm/mothering experience/Psych Minor (with Honors, mind you!! Heh.) don’t seem to be making a difference to the poster you’re referring to. Oh, well… I guess it is what it is.

May I aslo hijack for a second?

Yes you are Blonde. You’re a gem.

ETF, you actually explained it very eloquently. That’s all I have to say on it.

I don’t think my name lends itself to witty wordplay. Sure, lame shit can be done to it, but I can’t really come up with anything. I’ve occasionally toyed with signing my messages Cervizznit just to be strange, though.

Mostly, people mispronounce it. At the Chicago dopefest (thanks again, y’all), I had a lot of people looking at me and saying, “Ahhh, so that’s how you say it!”

Seeing as my username is actually a twist on a pet name a former partner used for me, I’m feeling one-upped here. He wasn’t being nice when he said it, but I still liked it. :smiley:

The floor is open…

So if I said, “I am at your Cervaise” how far off would I be?

I always think of it as the alcoholic drink that is spelled a bit different, I think.

My friend likes to make fun of people who drink it, so I always giggle when I see your name!
Me? Hmm…not a lot I could think to do with “Jaade”.

I’m sure Rooves will be along to help me out.

;) I'll continue to have confidence in you  -- if you can learn to walk away from a dispute, cowboy.

Um, what does ETF mean? I am so lost when it comes to acronyms!

ETF**? 'Tis your hostess for this thread, EddyTeddyFreddy. When I’m not being a DummyGummyMummy, of course. :smiley:

Took me a second to figure out what you meant (and I thought at first it was supposed to be dirty ;)), but no, not quite. It’s got four syllables, for starters.