maniac - or legitimate rage?

So…having had a few days to think about it…I’ve decided that the guy was just demented. literally, demented. Alzheimer’s, senile dementia, whatever you want to call it - I don’t know. But its not uncommon for people suffering from dementia to fly into sudden irrational rages, and his rage was definitely irrational since my dog and I were doing nothing other than just walking down the road.

Of course, I could be wrong, but its as reasonable an explanation as any. And it explains one more factor that I did not realize at the time, but struck me as very odd when I thought back on it. As my dog and I were walking down the side of the road, I first noticed this guy ahead of us, on the same side of the road, but walking towards us pushing his snowblower. We have had a shit ton of snow here in the last week, so people pushing snowblowers is not an unusual sight. Maybe that’s why I didn’t take particular notice at the time. Or it could just be that I’m not a particularly observant person, which I’d be the first to admit, I’m not. But he was approaching us, walking parallel to the road for several minutes (I do remember wondering if he was doing his neighbor’s yard too…)

It was only after I got home and thought about it that the lightbulb went off. What the hell was the guy snowblowing? Not a driveway, because that would have been perpendicular to the road. Not a sidewalk, because there are no sidewalks on that street! There’s just road, shoulder, yards! you don’t snowblow the shoulder of the road or your yard! I’d like to think that I would have taken note of that, had I not been so suddenly taken aback by the guy’s sudden and unexpected verbal assault. But I admit - I can be pretty freakin’ oblivious - clearly, I’m no ‘mentalist’, lol.

So the guy was doing something pretty inexplicable, even before our confrontation. I just failed to notice it.

So…yeah - I’m going with dementia now, although I’m guessing the point is moot as I have never encountered him before (and I’m guessing we walked that way close to a thousand times over the years) and I’m not expecting to encounter him again.

Was he snowblowing in front of the mailbox? A lot of people do that to make it easier for the mailman to pull right up to it instead of having to get close to it and then get out.

no, definitely not that - the mailboxes were all on the other side of the street…not that the mail carriers around here would have ever gotten out of their truck to hand deliver to a ‘blocked box’, lol.

True story:

Our neighbor once complained to another neighbor that our dog had peed on his mailbox post. When I heard about it, I wondered if they knew what the birds did to the top of his mailbox. When the complaint got back around to my dad, he promptly went over to said mailbox and relieved himself on it.

Then again, dad kind of peed on anything that stood still long enough. Maybe he was feeling his kinship with the birds.

My favorite response!:stuck_out_tongue: