March's real holiday(s)

Discuss, and why one or both count or don’t count as holidays, in your humble opinion.

Stemmed from a discussion I was having with a friend about how she had to go out and celebrate today, and I mentioned how we just celebrated 3 days ago (she has a math degree), and she said she wants to celebrate a REAL holiday…SMH.

The only holiday in March I celebrate is Baba Marta.

And the first day of spring.

I couldn’t give a shit about Pi Day or St. Patrick’s Day.

If I have to work - it’s not a holiday.

I classify them as goofy fun days, not ‘real’ holidays. A real holiday should involve a day off work (for some folks anyway) and some cause that is a little more important or involves being with family or something. Perhaps St. Patrick’s Day is a real holiday in Ireland, at least for Catholics, but around here, if it involves green beer it’s not ‘real.’

We did have pie on Sunday and are having some fun tomorrow. But it’s not necessary.

I voted St. Patty’s day, but then, I’m in Savannah Georgia, where the entire city shuts down, and we’ve been partying for the past week straight! Speaking of which, I need to get to sleep so I can get to the parade tomorrow morning! (the only time it’s socially acceptable to be passed-out drunk by noon!)

Steak and Blowjob day.

According to my university, apparently it’s Cesar Chavez day. We get that day off school, yet classes carried on as normal on Presidents Day (an actual holiday). Go figure.

If people don’t get off work for it, it ain’t a holiday.

Incidentally, I am on vacation for St. Patrick’s day. Every year, I take off the first two days of March Madness, and it happens to start the day after St. Pat’s this year…

Joe

I voted for “neither”. St P’s day is not a holiday in England, we don’t get the day off and if you want to celebrate it, you have to do it on your own time.

Days that are not normally given off are just lip service to to appease some group and not a real holiday.

Casimir Pulaski Day represent!

I voted neither because if I have to work then it is not a holiday.

Louis Riel/Islander/Family Day!

“Holiday” is too strong a word, IMO. I would call them “noteworthy” days, like Groundhog, Mother’s day, and Arbor Day.

They are not “holidays” until a lot people get days off.

I consider Mothers Day, Valentine’s Day, etc, a lot more noteworthy than I would Pi day. I really don’t think anyone I socialize with knows about Pi day.

Hear, hear!

St. Patrick’s Day, also known as my sister’s birthday. :slight_smile:

Pi day doesn’t work with how we write dates (14/03/YYYY). And the real Pi Day, accepting the US style of writing dates, isn’t until 2015: 3/14/15.