Marinated Asparagus

So…I had some asparagus recently, fresh from produce. I had trimmed the stalks and placed them in a freezer bag with a balsamic vinaigrette marinade, which I really like when I grill it.

Turns out, I was running short on time that night and my grill needed cleaning…badly. I’m talking a “hasn’t been cleaned since last year” type cleaning that when done right, takes quite awhile, time I didn’t have.

I made something else and forgot about the asparagus. When I remembered it later, I though that maybe an extra day of marination would make it even more flavorful.

The next evening, after constant flipping and soaking the spears in the marinade, I took them out of the fridge and tasted one. Shit! They were very good all by themselves without cooking! I had forgotten that vinegar would break down some of the fibrous nature of them, and they tasted great without ever being cooked, blanched or anything.

So, I served them cold as is. Myself and the kids loved them. I was honestly surprised at how good they were. Anyone had a similar experience?

I don’t have any similar experience, but… Recipe please! :smiley:

Like I said…a balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing. Ken’s to be specific. Lots of moving the bag around, coating the spears, etc. They turned out like I’d just barely cooked them, crisp but not without that “give” you look for.

I shouldn’t have been surprised given the knowledge I already had about vinegar and it’s properties, but I just forgot.

ETA: it was two bunches of spears, washed and trimmed in a freezer bag with most of a bottle of the dressing.

I suspect it’s as much the salt, to tell you the truth. I’m not sure how much plain vinegar softens veggies, but I know I know before I do any type of quick pickle, I generally throw my veggies into salt or a mix of salt and sugar, and all that fun osmosis stuff happens so the veggies soften up and exude their liquid right quick.

I had some asparagus recently from Costco that was so tender I was eating it raw.

mmmmmm. Asparagus.

Just oven-roasted a bunch with some olive oil and salt at 450F for about 10 minutes. Tender stems and slightly crunchy tips. Crazy good.