Mass Killings in the US (2023)

Mass killings in the United States, 2023

Four or more dead (Suicides Indicated by an asterisk)

By a single killer (The killer is charged or would have been charged had he lived.)

Minors cannot generally be held legally liable for a murder or homicide. Such cases are included here with an annotation.

By any criminal means

The editor aims to include all cases. This leads to a presumption to publish. I welcome corrections and additions.

1. 4 January 2023 Enoch City UT, 8* killed (shot) (Family of 8 found dead in Utah home) familicide/suicide

2. 7 January 2023 High Point NC, 5* killed (shot) (Police: Attacker kills 4, then self, in North Carolina home - ABC News) Intruder murder/suicide

3. 7 January 2023 Lee TWP MI, 4* Killed (shot) (Family of 4 dead in Allegan County murder-suicide) familicide/suicide

Incidents: 3

Killed: 17

1. 13 January 2023 Cleveland OH, 4 killed (shot) (Police: 4 dead, 1 child injured after getting shot by family member in Cleveland) familicide

Incidents: 4
Killed: 21

The 16 January killing in Tulare County is disallowed as there were two killers. The 19 January fire in Clovis NM is pending word of an arson.

1. 22 January 2023? Monterey Park CA, 10 killed (shot) (MSN)

Incidents: 5
Killed: 31

Correction to #5. #6 is developing.

1. 21 January 2023 Monterey Park CA, 12* killed (shot) (MSN) Killer committed suicide some time after the murders, here I have included him in the body count.

2. 23 January 2023 Half-Moon Bay CA, 7 killed (shot) (At Least 7 Killed In Two Half Moon Bay Shootings | HuffPost Latest News)

Incidents: 6
Killed: 38

1. 30 January 2023 near Albany OR, 4* killed (vehicular homicide. speeding) (4 killed, baby girl hurt in high-speed Oregon crash | KMTR)

Incidents: 7
Killed: 42

1. 9 February 2023 LA, 4* killed (not reported) (Family of 4 killed in apparent murder-suicide on West Bank of New Orleans) familicide/suicide

Incidents: 8
Killed: 46

Correction to #8, addition of #9.

1. 9 February 2023 Harvey LA, 4* killed (shot) (Family of 4 killed in apparent murder-suicide on West Bank of New Orleans) familicide/suicide

2. 13 February 2023 Lancing MI 4* killed (shot) (MSU campus shooting: all victims were students; suspect identified) school shooting/active shooter

Incidents: 9
Killed: 50

1. 17 February 2023 Arkabutla MS, 6 killed (shot) (Mississippi shooting: 6 killed; suspect in custody, police say)

Incidents: 10
Killed: 56

1. 19 February 2023 Linden NJ, 4* killed (shot) (4 dead, including 2 teens in apparent Linden, New Jersey murder suicide, police say - ABC7 New York)

Incidents: 11
Killed: 60

1. 19 February 2023 Galena Park TX, 4* killed (shot) (4 killed during apparent murder-suicide in Galena Park: Sheriff) Murder-suicide; one of the dead was pregnant

Incidents: 12
Killed: 64

Correction; I missed a vehicular homicide over the weekend.

1. 18 February 2023 Spencer County IN, 4* killed (vehicular homicide) (4 die in Spencer County crash | wthr.com) ran a stop sign

2. 19 February 2023 Linden NJ, 4* killed (shot) (4 dead, including 2 teens in apparent Linden, New Jersey murder suicide, police say - ABC7 New York) Familicide/Suicide

3. 19 February 2023 Galena Park TX, 4* killed (shot) (4 killed during apparent murder-suicide in Galena Park: Sheriff) Murder-suicide; one of the dead was pregnant

Incidents: 13
Killed: 68

Why not do a google spreadsheet or something? Then you can generate graphs, insights, &etc. much easier when the year is done, or even in throughout the year.

I would also recommend maybe getting in contact with NEU which has a substantially similar project. Although you have recorded more events this year*, they started earlier and have better presentation.

* You include events with four deaths, whereas they require five (four victims).

~Max

You have caught onto a key point. In fact you have identified why I got started with this. In the Old Days, the FBI would consider four dead a mass killing. Then they began to not count the traditional suicide. Then they began using the term active shooter to no longer count the most common form of mass slaughter, a family killed at home by a parent.

Very simply they were moving the goalposts and changing the definition to minimize the count. That seemed wrong to me.

In much the same way, some people only count mass killing by gun. It seems to me people who are killed at home by a crazed father count. So do suicides to my way of thinking. So do people killed by arsonists and drunk drivers.

One of the things I have learned is that the rules of who you count matter quite a bit.

1. 22 February 2023 Daphne AL, 4 killed (shot) (https://www.wkrg.com/baldwin-county/daphne-police-investigating-shooting-in-lake-forest-area/)

Incidents: 14
Killed: 72

Sidebar:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The number of U.S. mass killings linked to extremism over the past decade was at least three times higher than the total from any other 10-year period since the 1970s, according to a report by the Anti-Defamation League.

The report, provided to The Associated Press ahead of its public release Thursday, also found that all extremist killings identified in 2022 were linked to right-wing extremism, with an especially high number linked to white supremacy. They include a racist mass shooting at a supermarket in Buffalo, New York, that left 10 Black shoppers dead and a mass shooting that killed five people at an LGBT nightclub in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

“It is not an exaggeration to say that we live in an age of extremist mass killings,” the report from the group’s Center on Extremism says.

Between two and seven domestic extremism-related mass killings occurred every decade from the 1970s to the 2000s, but in the 2010s that number skyrocketed to 21, the report found.

My bold.

This article is just about mass killings linked to extremism… not the school shootings, disgruntled employees, and just angry, armed people.

1. 28 February 2023 St Louis MO, 4 killed (vehicular homicide) (https://fox2now.com/news/missouri/police-identify-4-killed-in-st-louis-hit-and-run-crash/) hit and run

2. 1 March 2022 Clermont County OH, 4* killed (shot) (Sheriff IDs those killed in Clermont County potential murder-suicide) Familicide/Suicide

Incidents: 16
Killed: 80

1. 2 March Coca FL, 4 killed (shot) (4 dead in Cocoa: Father killed daughter, 3 others, sheriff says) Familicide

Incidents: 17
Killed: 84

1. 10 March 2023 Miami Lakes FL< 5* killed (shot) (MSN)

Incidents: 18
Killed: 89

The mass killing in Dallas Sunday does not make the list as two men were arrested.

1. 14 March 2023 Birmingham/St Clair County AL 4 killed (shot) (MSN)

Incidents: 19
Killed: 93