Meeting the ex's friends for the first time since breakup

In January, a three-year relationship ended for me. We stayed friends through the breakup and today she is my closest friend.

Her birthday is coming up, and just now she invited me to a restaurant this weekend with her family and a bunch of other friends. During our relationship, I got along really well with her friends, which is unusual for me. I hoped I’d stay in touch with them, but it just didn’t work out that way, so this is the first time I’ll see them since a couple of weeks before the breakup. And I don’t know what to expect, nor how to act.

There’s in particular this one girl, with whom I was quite close. We hugged when we met and had tremendous fun together. Then I didn’t see her for a year. I have no clue how to relate to her.

Any advice? Any thoughts?

Just be relaxed. It sounds like you and the ex are still very comfortable, so I would assume her friends all still think you are nice.

Kudos for ending a relationship in a mature enough manner to remain in good graces with her and her pals/family.

I’m going to try to be relaxed, and I’m sure everything will work out fine. I just don’t want to seem too cold and distant, but at the same time I don’t want to sweep in there all smiles and hugs like no time passed.

Exactly. I think this is one of those situations that you can’t help getting a little anxious about, but then when the time actually comes you don’t think twice about how you act and everything goes great. :slight_smile: