Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker... why isn't this there more buzz about this great game?!

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection. Being a big MGS fan, I have a lot of interest in the story arc over all the games.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is one of the canon games. It was originally made for the PSP but with the HD Collection, had been ported to the PS3. It is set 10 years (1974) after Naked Snake assassinated the Boss in Russia and involves Snake building his base, Outer Heaven, and forming a nationless army.

The game is fantastic. Instead of one linear story broken up by the fabled overly long cutscenes, the game is broken up into multiple missions. You can choose to take one mission after the other to make one long mission, but there are other side missions you can send your soldiers on. The other half of the game consists of army-building. You assign your people to teams and develop technology which has an immediate effect on your missions. There isn’t a tremendous amount of character development in Snake, but that’s okay.

I think the game was incredibly well done, but I’ve never heard that much rave about it on the internets. What gives? Has anyone else played it? How do you like it?

Well, initially it’s because nobody owned a PSP.

Okay, but the HD Collection has been out for months now.

How long are the cut scenes ? I think it was the second I played where the cut scenes were so long, I basically paid 70 bucks for an anime film.

Never heard of it. So at the least, marketing may be an issue. What’s the HD collection on?

And not a very good one, either.

Huh - at least here it’s because we still have a PS2 and a PS3 and all the games. So we concluded that the MSG HD collection would be neat, but wouldn’t bring anything new to the table. I had no idea Peace Walker was on there, though - means I’ve got to take a trip to the local Gamestop tomorrow!

How is the upscaling/conversion from PSP to PS3? Have they put anything into aside from just making it work on the PS3?

Let me put it this way: It looks as if it was originally made for the PS3. Please come back and comment once you’ve played it a bit!