Midweek Puzzle

This here’s a tough little logic puzzle which I made myself. Hope you like it.
SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS

Seven brothers (Alf, Bert, Chris, Dan, Ed, Frank and Gary) were due to marry seven brides (Hannah, Jane, Kate, Lucy, Maria, Natasha, Olivia) in seven consecutive weddings on the same day (one at 12:00, the others at 1:00, 2:00, 3:00, 4:00, 5:00, 6:00) and at 7 different Churches (numbered 1 through Seven) Unfortunately the schedule got messed up. Can you work out who should marry who, when and at what Church (Church’s are numbered for ease of solving & creation)

1. Alf got married before Bert at a Church numbered lower than the Church Frank got married in but higher than the Church Bert got married in.
  2. Bert got married to Hannah at a time corresponding to the number of the Church they were married in.
  3. Chris got married to Jane in a Church numbered higher than the one Bert got married in.
  4. Dan got married in Church 1
  5. The time of Ed’s marriage was before Gary
  6. The number of the Church Gary got married in divides into the time that he got married.
  7. Ed married Lucy at 5:00 but not in Church 4.
  8. Gary did not get married in Church 2. Neither did Chris.
  9. Frank married Maria after Chris but before Alf who got married at a time which was less than the number of his church.
  10. There was a 2 hour difference between the start of Berts wedding and the start of Alfs
  11. Kate married the man who got married at 2:00
  12. Natasha didn’t marry Dan.

So, who married who, when and where?

Unless I’m overlooking something, you have an ambiguity in the Church number of Chris, Alf, & Frank.
Number 1 says Alf is higher than Bert and lower than Frank.
Number 3 says Chris is higher than Bert.

Bert is Church number 4 but there is nothing to define where Chris fits into the top three.

Of course, I could be overlooking the obvious, too.

Jim

This reminds me of the LSAT test. Ugghh! Me and GW Bush have something in common; we both got rejected from Law School.

A B C D E F G

H X O X X X X X
J X X O X X X X
K O X X X X X X
L X X X X O X X
M X X X X X O X
N X X X X X X O
O X X X O X X X

1 X X X O X X X
2 X X X X O X X
3 X X X X X X O
4 X O X X X X X
5 X X O X X X X
6 O X X X X X X
7 X X X X X O X

12 X X O X X X X
1 X X X X X O X
2 O X X X X X X
3 X X X O X X X
4 X O X X X X X
5 X X X X O X X
6 X X X X X X O
Alf - Kate 2:00
Bert - Hannah 4:00
Chris - Jane 12:00
Dan - Olivia 3:00
Ed - Lucy 5:00
Frank - Maria 1:00
Gary - Natasha 6:00

There you go. And I’m showing my work. :slight_smile:

Oh yeah. Thanks for giving me a little something to take a break with today TVOR. Even if I got it wrong, it was still fun. I loved doing these in elementary school. :slight_smile:

Thanks! :smiley:

Ran through this problem 4 times. Every time I got the same results JimB did. I’m short one clue. I could be missing something, though.

? Alf - Kate 2:00
4 Bert - Hannah 4:00
? Chis - Jane 12:00
1 Dan - Olivia 3:00
2 Ed - Lucy 5:00
? Frank - Maria 1:00
3 Gary - Natasha 6:00

Argghhhhh!!! I hate logic puzzles! They make me feel so stupid. I can NEVER figure them out. I guess we can say that logic is not my strong suit… Give me word puzzles, or trivia…

You’re right, there is an ambiguity in the church numbers. Ah well, it is my first time making one & I’m quite pleased there was only 1 cock up :slight_smile:
If I were to rewrite clue 3 to say

Chris got married to Jane in a Church numbered higher than the ones Bert & Frank got married in. then that should resolve the ambiguity.

TVoR, it was a good puzzle. Simply substituting Frank for Bert in Number 3 solves the ambiguity.

Jim