Might I suggest a UK DopeFest?

If your French is appalling then that should go down well with the French, after all they are pretty much appalling anyway.

As I said earlier, English is the International language, what’s the point of learning some other language.

Fr’example…go to Spain/Greece/Italy etc, ask any barman if he speaks English, the answer will be yes.

Now ask him if he speaks French :dubious:

And its people like you that gives Brits abroad a bad name. Thank you very much. :rolleyes:

Please chowder, just take your holidays at home from now on.

Dagnabbit, I was thinking of a couple of weeks in Bonnie Scotland this year. :rolleyes:

Still I guess I can allus take a look at Belgium…oh wait! isn’t that next to…

Yeah, and they speak You Know What there. Wouldn’t want to go there then would you? Heaven forbid someone should have the nerve to speak their native language in their native country.

Yep they speak Gaelic, they are also pretty articulate in English,

Hang on, you didn’t mean Scotland did you?

Not the real barmen, only those with summer jobs. Real barmen will look atcha fonny if you try ta speak anythin’ odder’n whadevah their local aksen is.

Have to confess I’ve never been to any of those countries outside of the summer
muntz. So ahm guessing yer prolly reet me owd cock.

Anywaze dem summer barmen are real barmen, innit?

Discussions amongst all you bloody southerners about the relative merits of various provincial cities and foreigners in general aside, GrizzRich’s OP is still owed a sensible decision about a place and a date. The GrizzClan are the ones trying to plan a transatlantic trip taking in our scintillating company after all.

So, at least as a preliminary stab at a plan, a weekend and a city?

You know I *could * decide to take offence at that… :wink:
single-handedly providing fabulous transport throughout Lunnon`

The dates for our visit are already set. Arriving 29June and departing 8July. We’re staying in the Southampton area.

Now it’s just a matter of seeing where and when the locals could get together and I’ll just saunter in for the drinks!

Nah, students. They don’t intend to make a living out of bartending; depending on the location they may not even be getting paid money. My waitressing jobs were during high school and a way for my group of friends to pay for the use of half an abandoned house for two weeks (the week leading to the local festival and the week of the festival).

Ok - is Southampton your first stop? or your only stop in the UK?

I just ask because it might be a bit much to expect you to do a lot on the 30th if you have just got in to the country, so the 7th would be better.

Also, if your plans include travelling to London anyhow, you may not wish to do so again (couple of hours each way) to catch up with Dopers (sorry Londopers). That would give you more interaction time, and less travelling.

Just a thought.

Si

That’s just begging to be taken out of context. :wink:

Speaking as the English son of a Glasweigan I think you’ll find that many Glasweigans dont actually speak English.
At least not as we know it…

What, Flemish? (A well-named language from what I’ve heard of it.)

It is English. Just with all the vowels removed.

Oh, aye. Open invite: I hate London, so am never likely to make my way to a 'fest down there, but should anyone find themselves in or around Nottingham then give me a shout.

You’re in Reading?

Sod all chance of me making it to Southampton I’m afraid.

Paris, Reading, what’s the difference really?

I don’t recall Reading get a mention in Casablanca.