Might I suggest a UK DopeFest?

Fair enough. So no anti-French sentiment there then. :wink:

And whilst I might live in France, I visit the UK on a regular basis. :stuck_out_tongue:

Angua I don’t mean to irritate you at all. I just do not like the French, I find them arrogant in the extreme.

I’ve had 2 holidays in La Belle France, I won’t be having a 3rd as the previous hols were an unmitigated disaster due in no small part to the aforementioned arrogance…especially that displayed by hotel staff who seemed to think that being unable to speak French was a cardinal sin.

You just have to speak louder and slower - “I…WOULD…LIKE…EGG…AND…CHIPS…PLEASE!” - and then you’re sorted.

Plus they eat horse meat :frowning:

Fair enough. I certainly know the stereotype, but I’m eternally fortunate that in my almost 4 months that I’ve been here, I have never really encountered this. Maybe I’ve just been lucky.

“Excusez moi, les ouef avec pomme frit monsieur”

“…and brown sauce while you’re at it” :smiley:

Hehe, you’re a braver man than I mixing egg and brown sauce…

High five!

“Merde!” here was me thinking pom frits were fried spuds :smiley:

Its all your fault. You were the one who let the Mancs into the thread :stuck_out_tongue:

Probably the best approach date-wise is to let us know which weekend(s) is/are best for you (it is your party after all) and then we can do a quick headcount of availability.

Also, do you have any preferences when it comes to the drinking establishment in question? Happy with one pub? Want something suitably “Quaint”? etc. etc.

Because god forbid us English people should actually try and learn a bit of the native language when we travel… :smiley:

<mutters something about an irony meter>

What, you mean like the way you learnt German? :wink:

Too fucking right. If more people used crappy films as a method of learning a foreign language then the world would be a better place. Who knows, maybe in 2000 years time world peace will have been brought about due to the global adoption of Jackie-Chan English or summat.

(full story here for anyone wondering what Angua is referring too)

Careful, you know those things aren’t guaranteed for use on the Internet.

And the only, I mean the only, thing worse than those arrogant French bastards expecting us to speak French in France, is the way they come over here and they can’t even speak the language! What’s up with that? :rolleyes:

You’re missing the whole point. English is theInternational language.

Why then should we learn other strange tongues?, surely it is up to furriners to learn ours

I can’t tell if you’re doing it on purpose, chowder.

I’m going to back away slowly from this thread right now, assuming this is just banter and not real “why can’t all them foreigners just speak English” Daily Mail-ese…

Need a cab luv?

Where to? Alright sweet’art, no problem.

Now i’m not a racist but those fuckin’ foreigners…

:smiley:

My French is pretty appalling but I’ve found that just by attempting to communicate in it to the natives :slight_smile: has always resulted in exceptional service every time.
The British attitude to learning other languages is notorious throughout the world so they appreciate the thought ,even if if they find my linguist skills or rather the lack of them ,comical.