Minor objection to warning (Game Room)

Deshaun Watson is an NFL quarterback accused by dozens of masseuses of sexual misconduct. Total scumbag. Texans cut him, because scumbag, then the Browns signed him to a massive deal. The NFL slaps him on the wrist with a 10 game suspension. Now this week he can finally start. Not a highlight for the NFL.

@Hamlet wished the exact allegations against Watson to happen to Watson in this post around 3:30pm Thursday:

Within two minutes he was called out for this, and within 10 minutes he apologized. Then it was dropped and the thread moved on.

@Chronos came in around 8:30 Sunday morning (over 60 hours later) to issue this official warning:

I feel that should have been a note, not a warning. I know and support that this is one of the new rules from a few years ago and that it’s a point of emphasis, but come on. The man apologized 10 minutes later two days ago.

Crap, I got those times wrong and the edit window is closed. Today is Saturday, not Sunday. 41 hours later, not over 60. Same point, though.

So what should the statute of limitations on breaking rules be?

I don’t think if it is a major violation of the rules that a mea culpa is sufficient. If it were, then what is to stop someone from posting
“XX is a fucking cunt and deserves to be raped by a homeless guy with AIDS.”
then six minutes later with the post still up.
“Oh hey, maybe that was a little over the top. I’m sorry.”

Should the mods say, “Oh hey, you apologized. No big deal now.”?

Not in that hypothetical case, no. But in this actual case I would say yes. Actually, even in your hypothetical example, I still might say yes if the person being referred to was a serial rapist of homeless people who had AIDS when he raped them.

I don’t know that there needs to be a fixed time amount. Maybe if the community successfully polices itself, and then the thread continues back on topic for a bunch more posts over the next couple days, maybe at that point it would be better to just consider the matter resolved and let it go.

I don’t consider that particular moderation wrong as much as I consider it unnecessary.

There isn’t one. We’re going to keep it fuzzy.

Saint_Cad, the moderators aren’t idiots. We’ll see through such pretty quickly most of the times. Again, why we don’t like to draw bright line rules.

Honestly though if the offense is under 15 minutes old, they should probably edit it out along with the apology and if longer ask for it to be edited out.

I think the Community & Staff has pretty much agreed rape jokes are out, at least everywhere but the Pit maybe.

No comment on the warning, but I did inquire with Chronos about it. As it is the weekend, I don’t expect a fast reply here or among the mods.

And the next time someone gets warned we get a bunch of whiny “Hamet said worse without a warning. UNFAIR!!!”

Yeah no worries about needing a quick response. I mean honestly, by the letter of the law the warning is justified. I just think this was an example where a lighter touch might have been appropriate.

Exactly. In my example, I specifically mentioned “with the post still up”.

Resolved for who? For the rape victims who come across the thread later and see rape being advocated as a punishment and then just let off with an “Oops, my bad”? This rape victim isn’t down with that.

Even there it’s not acceptable, IMHO.

Not for nothing, but the man has allegedly raped dozens of women. I’m not saying he should be raped in turn; hell, I think if he was found guilty, he should get capital punishment. And I feel the same way about any serial rapist. Is wishing that on someone also a violation of the rules?

Wishing death on people is frowned on by the SDMB, but i believe that the case of arguing for capital punishment is specifically mentioned as an exception.

Eta:

I fully accept the warning. As a way of explaining myself, my post was meant to emphasize how Watson’s belief that the kind of intimidation/abuse he engaged in with 20+ women was not wrong in any way, let alone rape. I know that in Chronos’, mine, and most intelligent people’s view, it is rape, but my post was emphasizing that Watson doesn’t believe it is.