Miserable inTexas (VERY LONG)

I really must thank you all for your help and suggestions. Hopefully I’ll come back from vacation with a great new plan on making friends with the big city of Houston.

I’m definitely getting involved with some sort of volunteer activity. I was considering an animal shelter, but my fiance says no. I already cry when we go to the pet store and they have kitties there. I have two already and that is plenty for our apartment, but I always want to bring more home. The zoo is a great idea though. Thanks for the idea Zoe . I’m going to look that up as soon as I finish my post.

And I’m going to keep my fingers crossed on the bookclub links. I am going to put up some fliers at my apartment too. We have an awesome room in the office bldg we can reserve that would be perfect for a book club meeting. Maybe someone around here would be interested. That would be a great way to meet people who live close to me.

LOL…my fiance would appreciate the Chinese buffet. I don’t really care for Chinese food and he LOVES it. I offer to go but he never takes me up on it. I know he’s been dying to have some for months and months now. :slight_smile:

Thanks again guys. First of all for being there during my little semi-breakdown and second for offering all the suggestions.
You all rock!

I’m glad that we’ve managed to help brighten your outlook. As an aside, I just want to mention that although I’ve never been to Houston, my mental picture is based on the movie, Local Hero (directed by Bill Forsyth, with wonderful performances by Burt Lancaster and Peter Riegert, and great music by Mark Knopfler).

[[I have some people at work that I really like, but they are all of a different race and already have a very cohesive group that is really not open to people like myself.]]

You can’t invite em over for a barbeque or something? They may think you are not open to them

BTW, Kyan22, I met my first husband playing spades. :slight_smile:

BTW, Kyann, you and your fiance are invited to: We’ve got a little thing we do down here in Houston, Texas (skillfully avoiding the typo I included in the original thread title).

Hi all.
Just wanted to update everyone on my recent progress. I now have a volunteer activity set up. I’m going to volunteer at either our local animal shelter or at the Petco where they do their weekend adoptions, depending on where they need the most help. I meet with them the Saturday I get back from vacation to work everything out.
I also have the application to be a zoo volunteer. I’m going to get that in the mail before I leave for vacation. That might give me something to do on Mondays.

Also, I found some classes in my area that don’t actually require you to gain admission to the college. I asked my fiance to take a country/western dance class (told you, I’m a hick) and he actually said YES! He hates meeting new people and will only dance if extremely drunk, so I figure he must love me. I think he finally realizes he’s going to have to quit being anti-social. He needs friends too and we have to get out and find some.

Ringo I saw the thread for the meeting. If I’m not mistaken, the 3rd is on Saturday, which is going to be my volunteer day. I hate to miss my first official day there, so I probably won’t be able to attend this time unless it’s late evening or something. I don’t think their adoptions are over until 5 or so. I had to pick that day because it’s my worst day for being down. My fiance works until after 6, so I usually have to spend my day alone once I get home from work. (another part of my lovely job is a half-day work day on Saturday). I’ll keep an eye on the thread and see what time and when you end up getting together. If it’s at all possible, I’ll be there.

Zoe Funny how that happens, huh? One minute you’re playing cards, next minute you’re in love. :slight_smile:

JillCat They actually invited me out to get a drink after work one evening, so maybe things are looking up there. I really do like them a lot, but I think it’s taking me some time to win them over. We are getting much closer now that I’ve joined in the hating of our managers. :smiley:

Wow, Kyann22, the similarities in our lives are amazing! I was born and raised in Kentucky and was transplanted to Texas. However I went from a very large city (Louisville) and a school of 3000+ to the sticks and a school of about 400 and the reason my family moved would keep Jenny Jones on the air for at least a week – we won’t go there. I HATED Texas with a passion and couldn’t wait to get back. But as fate would have it I met my husband and now you couldn’t drag me away from here. It took awhile but I finally love this place. Although you’ll feel like you’re living in hell come August. And what I wouldn’t give for a nice crisp, cool and colorful autumn.

So where are you? North, south, east or west of Houston? I’m way north. Email me and we can chat about more specifics. I love the theater too and I’ve been to the Alley 3 times but usually go to community theaters. There are a lot around as well as college productions. Sure you get some stinkers but some are really great. And you know, the biggest stinker of a play I’ve ever seen was actually at the Alley. Oh and the Grand Opera House in Galveston is a must see. Still expensive but absolutely jam-packed with history and character. The “Tuna” plays there are side-splitting, pants-peeing fun. Of course just walking down The Strand in Galveston and stopping in all the shops is great. Catch the museum about the Great Storm of 1900. Amazing stuff.

I also love forensic science and seriously considered a job in that field but me and Chemistry got into a big fight in college. I won out with a B but there are still a lot of hard feelings. Turns out that I became a stay-at-home mom of three little boys. Nothing in college prepared me for this.:rolleyes: :slight_smile: Mr. Hand is totally correct about there being a huge brouhaha over the Houston Crime Lab. But I bet you knew that. Maybe the job opportunities will come rolling in.

Well, here’s hoping that things will work out. You seem to be proactive about it. That’s the way. Have a great trip and kiss the Kentucky sky for me.:wink: I’m serious about emailing me, I’d love a new email friend.

:slight_smile:Copper Moon
To answer your first question, I’m north? Humble to be precise. Everyone at work seems to act like I live in Alaska or something, but I dont’ think it’s THAT far outside the city. I guess I’m used to driving 30min - 1 hr to work, so it doesn’t seem that big of a deal to me.

Truthfully, I’ve been to several college plays and they were actually pretty good. I would love to find some around here to see. My first university did a production of The Wizard of Oz that was amazing!
I’ve been down to Galveston once and had a good time, so I hope to go back more this summer. the last trip of somewhat of a short one and yet we still had a blast.

As for forensic science… I had a job interview a couple of weeks ago but haven’t heard anything. It was with the county, but I have no idea when they will let me know something. I think HPD will end up shutting down completely, but we’ll see. If nothing comes up by fall, I’m going to get things together to go back to school. I love books and libraries, so I could always get a Master’s in Library Science. I think that job would probably better suit me anyway. That is my current back-up plan for now. :slight_smile:

I’ll send off an email after I send this (a short one though since I’m at work, but more later). I’m always up for new email friends.

Don’t forget that Humble is pronounced as “Umble” and everyone from there says the word “humble” as if it didn’t have an “H”.
Cockney with a twang.

As for forensic science, check out the Laci Peterson thread. Pretty sad story.