MLB: August 2022

well, at least one nat is having a good season …

It’s the curse if Joey Gallo.

When I was a wee laddy, the Washington Star (RIP) had a promotion called the “Knothole Club,” where kids could get admission to 10 Senators games for the total of a dollar (if I’m remembering correctly). The catch was, your seat was way back at the top of the bleachers (at D.C. Stadium, later RFK Stadium), and the opponent was invariably the Kansas City A’s, who sucked almost as bad as the Senators did.

(We were too young and innocent to realize we could have moved down to one of the thousands of better empty seats).

I remember Canada Day a few years ago, when the Jays introduced the red uniforms. It kind of made sense: white numbers and names on red jerseys, and Canada’s colours are red and white, like on the flag, so there you go. The Jays were celebrating Canada Day with their uniforms.

But the Blue Jays wearing their red uniforms for a random August game? Makes no sense. Perfect for Canada Day, perhaps; but at no other time are they appropriate, IMHO.

Interesting comparison of August 29 throughout the years.

White Sox manager, Tony LaRussa, who is 77, did not manage in Tuesday night’s game against the Royals, on the advice of his doctors. He participated in several pre-game interviews and conversations earlier in the day; his absence from the game was announced about an hour before first pitch.

LaRussa is scheduled to undergo some medical tests today.

This is not a repeat - he did it again. Twice in 4 days!

That does it. I won’t be impressed anymore unless someone does two cycles in a single game.

Now if he only could do it in a dodger uni …

In a few years, maybe. Right now there is no room in the outfield for him.

I’ve seen him mocked and/or criticized for falling asleep in games he was supposed to be managing but the poor guy is 77. He shouldn’t be doing this stuff.

I blame the people who put him in that position. I hope it doesn’t literally kill him.

Chicago media sources are now reporting that LaRussa is out “indefinitely,” and will be going to Arizona for additional medical tests. The WGN story in the second link indicates that the reason for going to Arizona is so that he can consult with his personal doctors.

To a large extent, he put himself into that position.

Reinsdorf might have courted him, but La Russa had been retired from active, on the field management for a decade and nobody would have given the matter a second thought if he stayed that way.

I do sincerely hope his health improves but this may prove to have the silver lining of a way of bowing out of the game again with some dignity.

I am a proponent of interleague play and tonight is a good reason why. I don’t get the Marquee network on YouTubetv so I came to a sports bar near Wrigley to see the interesting Cubs vs Blue Jays matchup in Toronto. Had it been another Cubs vs Pirates matchup, I doubt I would have bothered.

i hope we face this fool again they shove their bats where the sun don’t shine

O’s call up Gunnar Henderson, who goes 2-4 with a HR and a single. Nice way to start your MLB career, getting a hit, a home run, and an RBI all in one swing.

You do realize that Jacob and Freddie are famously very good friends right?

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: MLB: September 2022

Time for a September Thread.

September thread created.