MLB: August 2022

There have been a few games this season on Apple.tv, which is a further splitting of games among broadcasters. Of course I suspect it’s MLB and the Owners who are for this- and the money they get for it.

I think Apple also has the bizzare odds tracker for getting more betting too. All of the gambling is kinda gross before the MLBs approval for me

The Dodgers’ James Outman is having one roller coaster ride of a year. Started the year in Double A, got called up in July, homered in his first at bat, optioned back to Triple A six games later, and just hit for the cycle in Oklahoma with a walk-off homer.

Try seeing this from my perspective as a Nationals fan. Max Scherzer’s return to Nationals Park as a member of the Mets, and Juan Soto’s return as a member of the Padres were both on Apple TV+.

The Mariners and Julio Rodriguez have agreed to a long-term extension.

Bear with me here:

The base deal is for $120 million and lasts through 2029. Following the 2028 season, the Mariners can exercise an option for either 8 or 10 more years, depending on how he finishes in MVP voting in the intervening years.

If the Mariners turn down their team option, Rodriguez can opt in to a five-year, $90 million player option after 2029 or opt to go into unrestricted free agency.

If Rodriguez maxes out his MVP escalators, Seattle’s team option would be for 10 years, $350 million, taking the total value of the deal to $470 million through 2039.

Jesus, why couldn’t we have done this kind of deal for Juan Soto?

I’d rather have Julio. We’ll done Ms

+1

Someone on local sports radio pointed out that the last time Seattle had a bona fide superstar who was fully home-grown was Alex Rodriguez all the way back in 1994. And look what happened there.

I’m guessing that ekedolphin is lamenting that the Nationals didn’t do a deal or something, not the Mariners.

Of which, the current owners of the Nats are wanting to sell the team, and seem to think having a very bad, but very cheap team will attract more buyers than a bad team with an expensive superstar.

If we hadn’t traded Max and Trea, we would have had a halfway decent team that was only moderately expensive. And fuckin’ Kyle Schwarber! Why did we punt on the season last year when we were in second place? FUCK!

arent they both on the dodgers? if so thanks very much …

Traded them both to the Dodgers, but now Max is on the Mets, a division rival. You know what that means.

Imgur

lol nah we know the dodgers have it in the bag this year …

This thing about a long playoff system is no one has it in the bag.

Baseball Reference has the Dodgers as a 21.6% chance of winning the World Series. I think that’s low - it’s not that much better than random chance, which would be 12.5%. I think it’s more like 30-35%. But anyone who wants to bet even money with me on them that they’ll win it all, I will take that action all day.

Here is a striking split for you:

ALBERT PUJOLS
Vs. Lefties: .389, 10 home runs in 90 at bats
Vs. Righties: .192, 4 home runs in 125 at bats

ohhh sure now we have to be geeks and bring stats in… :crazy_face:

Astros ace Justin Verlander left in the third inning after 60 pitches with right calf discomfort in the Astros’ 3-1 victory over the Orioles.

The Nationals had set a major-league record awhile back, setting a new streak for most consecutive games played without the starting pitcher earning a win, dating back to the start of the modern era in 1901.

WE’RE NUMBER ONE! WE’RE NUMBER ONE! /s

The streak of 43 such games, which shattered the ‘49 Senators’ record of 35, was broken today by, of all people, Patrick Corbin, who’s arguably been one of the very worst pitchers in the majors ever since the year after our title season of '19.

That was a remarkable streak - it just seems so absolutely unlikely, and that Corbin broke it is just perfect. Reminds me of the KC Chiefs team that didn’t have a single TD scored by a WR one year.

Incidentally, Corbin set a Washington Nationals record earlier this year by becoming the first starting pitcher to be pulled in the first inning for performance-related reasons twice in one season.

Wainwright was mic’ed up for the Sunday night game, and he was fantastic. I see some twitter chatter of “hate it - I want my players focused while on defense”. I get that - but they’re also professionals whose greatest fear is looking like a doofus on national television. I trust they can determine when to focus. And it’s usually the color guy who holds the interviews, who’s usually a former player, and knows (or should) when to ask a question and when to shut up. I’d love to see more of this. Looking forward to Riley getting the mic later.

Video here, in case anyone wants to hear: