MLB: August 2022

I might have to steal the word “rattlesnakeness”.

If anyone is keeping track, Albert Pujols hit his 694th career home run against the 450th different pitcher. That latter number beats Barry Bonds for #1 on the list of most pitchers homered against.

Only the last 11 years (half) of Bond’s career included interleague play so he probably batted against many fewer different pitchers. Also Pujols switched leagues.

The Blue Jays are wearing their all-red uniforms today, and I am once again reminded of how stupid all-red uniforms are for a team called the Blue Jays.

At least they’re not nearly as ugly as those alternate blue roadies the Cardinals wear every now and then. Just as silly, x1000 aesthetically offensive.

How does a team go 55-20 (.733) in the first 75 games, and then fall to 23-31 (.426) in the next 54 with pretty much the same roster? Even worse, the Yankees are 9-17 (.346) in August.

Baseball sure is unpredictable. If you’re gonna collapse, though, it might as well be an epic collapse.

Well, they were playing over their heads in the first 75. But they’re really playing dead now to counter it.

Nats continue to have everything go wrong.

Cade Cavalli to the IL right after his MLB debut.

Strasburg, earlier this year, only lasted one start before going to the IL for the rest of the season. We can’t win for losing. Literally.

The Oakland Athletics are in town for a four-game series. They’re in Washington for the first time since 2005, and were the last major-league team never to appear at Nationals Park.

Funny that I have been reading a lot of books on the early days of baseball so ‘Philadelphia A’s at Washington Senators’ sounds normal.

With three hits in this game against the Athletics (in his first three at-bats), Joey Meneses has set a Nationals record for most hits by a rookie in his first 23 games, shattering Anthony Rendon’s record by three.

Ten years in the minors, and making it to the Show at the age of 30, he’s showing he doesn’t wanna leave.

well, at least one nat is having a good season …

It’s the curse if Joey Gallo.

When I was a wee laddy, the Washington Star (RIP) had a promotion called the “Knothole Club,” where kids could get admission to 10 Senators games for the total of a dollar (if I’m remembering correctly). The catch was, your seat was way back at the top of the bleachers (at D.C. Stadium, later RFK Stadium), and the opponent was invariably the Kansas City A’s, who sucked almost as bad as the Senators did.

(We were too young and innocent to realize we could have moved down to one of the thousands of better empty seats).

I remember Canada Day a few years ago, when the Jays introduced the red uniforms. It kind of made sense: white numbers and names on red jerseys, and Canada’s colours are red and white, like on the flag, so there you go. The Jays were celebrating Canada Day with their uniforms.

But the Blue Jays wearing their red uniforms for a random August game? Makes no sense. Perfect for Canada Day, perhaps; but at no other time are they appropriate, IMHO.

Interesting comparison of August 29 throughout the years.

White Sox manager, Tony LaRussa, who is 77, did not manage in Tuesday night’s game against the Royals, on the advice of his doctors. He participated in several pre-game interviews and conversations earlier in the day; his absence from the game was announced about an hour before first pitch.

LaRussa is scheduled to undergo some medical tests today.

This is not a repeat - he did it again. Twice in 4 days!

That does it. I won’t be impressed anymore unless someone does two cycles in a single game.

Now if he only could do it in a dodger uni …