MNF 11/29/99 - Touchback=19 yd line?

I’m trying to remember exactly when this happened, but I think it was after the SF field goal. The ensuing kickoff went into the endzone and the Packers were set to start at their own 20 yard line.

But when they were set to snap the ball, it looked like the ball was on the 19 yd line. Now, maybe the center regularly moves it back a little bit, but 3 feet? Was my vision just blurry from brewskies (it was only the second quarter though)? If the next play had been an incomplete pass, would the ball have been marked at the 20yd line precisely? Was this a tip-off that it was going to be a pass play (it was, btw)?

According to the ESPN drive chart for the game, the Packers started the drive following the SanFran field goal on the 20. Centers often move the ball a little while preparing to hike, and the camera angle may have exaggerated that a little bit.
The only other time SF kicked off was starting the 2nd half. It was returned from the end zone 22 yards to the 20. If this is the one you refer to, it may have been returned to the 19 1/2 and you just missed the fact it was an actual return, and not a touchback.

Well, shut my mouth. It’s also illegal to put squirrels down your pants for the purposes of gambling.

Then it was definately the second quarter after the SF field goal when it was a touchback. And the angle was virtually straight on, so this couldn’t have skewed it much.

I just can’t imagine the center would move it 3 feet but I didn’t see them move up to the line, I only saw it for several seconds before the snap when they were “set” and Favre was yelling the snap count.

I feel like today is Monday…

Okay, so I went to NFL.com and looked at the play by play to figure out exactly when it happened. With 6:41 left to play in the 1st quarter, LeRoy Butler intercepted a 49ers pass and was downed in the endzone for a touchback. So it wasn’t a kickoff at all. The next play was a completed pass so I never got a second look at it. Still, it seemed to start at the 19 yd line. Oh well.

Odds are, I probably have more important things to worry about…like whether or not to jump if the elevator snaps its cables and starts plummeting to the ground.

I saw a game sometime in the mid-80’s which had this scenario:

A kick-off went into the end zone for a touchback.

The opposing team, after three plays, apparently reached the 30-yard line.

They called for the chains.

The announcers said, “If this is short, we’ve got a scoop.”

Guess what? It was short.

Don’t remember the teams or the year, though.

I think the 19-yard line was an optical illusion. After a touchback the officials place the ball with the nose of the ball just touching the 20 yard line.
The center will come up to the ball and everyone lines up using him as the guide. If he picked up the ball and moved it back a little it would give the effect that the ball was at the 19.
On a touchback, the ball is placed in between the two hashmarks so you don’t have an exact frame of reference to see where the ball is.

NFL refs almost always spot the ball correctly. College refs do as well. I go to a lot of high school games however and the officials spot the ball all over the place. I’ve seen teams “lose” 3 yards on an incomplete pass.

The NFL and the NCAA both have people marking the line of scrimmage on both sides of the field, so the spots are about as accurate as it can be.

As for measuring for a first down, it’s pretty much a sham. I can’t believe that anyone believes that anyone is within an inch or two of a first down using the measurement system of football. However, everyone accepts the lie, so it must be OK.

I agree with Bob’s last statement regarding using the chains. I believe that it serves as a handy way to get an uncharged timeout and the owners would never let it go.