Mom tested positive for COVID

My mother hasn’t been feeling well the last couple of days, and just about lost her voice earlier this afternoon. I managed to dig up an at-home COVID test and it came back positive.

We went to Urgent Care where the diagnosis was confirmed and she was put on Paxlovid. My sister and I both tested negative, but a lot of the household thinks they probably have it.

Hope all goes well.

Fingers crossed for you all. We got COVID before Paxlovid was around and survived to tell the tale, but it definitely wasn’t fun. Take care of yourselves, and make a real effort not to get it again and again, because there may be cumulative damage.

If you’re all vaxxed and Mom isn’t elderly or unusually unhealthy this shouldn’t be a big deal. If those aren’t true you might have a bigger deal.

Probably 80% of humanity has had COVID by now. Of whom almost everybody came out the other side OK.

It’s appropriate to be concerned. It’s not appropriate to be terrified.

For sure some common sense precautions amongst the household can limit the spread. A reminder that worry isn’t helpful or curative; in fact the opposite.

Best of luck to all of you.

My MIL tested positive a few months ago. She’s in her mid 80s but fully vaccinated. She went to the ER and was admitted for oxygen treatment but then discharged after 24 hours. She’s fine now, but says she still has what she describes as “brain fog”.

My MIL (in her 80s and vaxed) caught it last year and got pretty sick, so much so my wife dragged her to the hospital where she was admitted and spent about a week there. The paxlovid did not seem to work but maybe it staved-off the worst. Anyway, while there, she exhibited strange and VERY unlike-her behaviors, including saying racist things to hospital staff, throwing tantrums on the floor like a 3-year old, swearing, etc. - all psychotic stuff not like her at all. When she was discharged (another tantrum on the floor) we took her home where she slept for about 18 hours. Wife and I were having coffee on her front porch and she comes out after all that sleep and acted like nothing had happened, just another morning. She did not talk about her stay at the hospital at all, and just went on with life.

Good luck, and I hope you miss all the drama.

My mother, my sister, and I are all vaxxed. As is at least one of my roommates. My daffy landlord and his wife are not only unvaxxed, they’re anti-vaxxers.

Well, I’ve been telling them for years to get the jab; if they get COVID, it’s their own fault at this point.

My mother, landlord, and landlady are elderly too. And my mother is unusually unhealthy.

The vaccinations are pretty amazing in their ability to prevent serious disease. My FIL, who has a progressive terminal lung disease and needs a LOT of oxygen caught COVID a few weeks back and came through without any issues, hospital stays, etc… But he’s fully vaccinated and boosted and got paxlovid very early on, so I’m pretty sure the combination is what made the difference.

The only lingering effect that’s been reported is that their taste buds are still out of whack.

My folks (both in their 90s) got COVID earlier this year. The biggest problem was their home health aids couldn’t visit, but they (fully vaccinated) got through without significant problems.

My daffy landlord has, more than once, suggested that my mother take chlorine dioxide (MMS) for COVID. Nope. She’s not drinking bleach.

Look at the bright side.

If the daffy landlord catches COVID (which as anti-vaxxers is a sure thing, more a question of when, not if), they’ll probably drink or inject bleach and you’ll be finished dealing with their stupidity. Forever.

Nah, it’s not a bright side.

They’re daffy, and they are Trump supporters, but I do love them.

Mom has now tested negative for COVID after a five-day quarantine, and so has everyone else in my family.

Huzzah!

Good to hear! COVID is no longer a big deal these days, at least for sensible people who get the recommended regime of vaccinations. The unvaccinated are doing their best to be virus incubators and create new mutant strains that could kill us all, but there doesn’t appear to be enough of them to succeed.

Yaay Mom!

If I may propose a small amendment to your most excellent writing:

The unvaccinated are doing their best to be virus incubators and create new mutant strains that could kill us all, but there doesn’t appear to be enough of them who survive long enough to succeed.

:grin: