Monk: Another Series On The Way Out

Yeah, even without big name guest stars it is often (not always, but often) clear who is guilty from the beginning of the episode.

Yeah, I was just going to say this, you put it much better than I would have. Honestly, most crime shows don’t really have “surprise” killers, though it’s cool when they do, and Monk has definitely made my jaw drop a few times. But a lot of the time Monk knows who did it but just can’t prove it because he doesn’t know HOW. Like “Mr. Monk and the Astronaut,” one of my favorite “howtheydunit” eps.

Mostly I really like Bradley Whitford, almost as much as Tony Shalhoub, and so seeing them on screen together is basically going to be full of awesome.

I mostly like Monk. The biggest annoyance for me is when they go into one of their “let’s go into a Monk bit and beat you over the head with it”. Like when they went to New York, and Monk and Stottlemeyer are trying to have a conversation and it keeps getting interrupted by the jack-hammer. That might have been funny for a couple of tries, but they just kept that bit going far too long.

They had a round at that time of doing something like that every episode, taking some Monk bit and dragging it out until the audience wants to scream.

They did the same gag not long ago, with Monk going into the monastary to talk to Stottlemeyer, and some monk (priest) shsshing him. It gave me flashbacks.

The lieutenant who follows the captain around. I know it’s a light hearted comedy/mystery show, but every time he comes on screen it gets on my nerves. How the fuck could someone that stupid get into the SFPD, let alone get to the rank of detective lieutenant. I like the whole cast actually, including the actor who plays the lieutenant, just hate the character. The main reason why I couldn’t watch the show regularly.

I loved it until the episode where Monk goes to New York. That was just so sad that it stuck with me. So the various tics and obsessions he demonstrates now don’t come off as comedic any more for me and it’s just too depressing to watch most of the time. I don’t get USA anyway, so it really doesn’t matter.

Randy can show some real brilliance sometime. Like in the most recent over where he took over after the captain left. I think there’s another episode where he figures the crime out at the same time as time, making a pretty fun “here’s what happened” scene.

I agree, the writers have little respect for Randy. In “Mr. Monk and the Airplane,” Randy had also taken over from the captain and shown himself to be a competent detective. He was able to keep up with Monk when Monk called him to tell him about the murder and where the corpse would be buried, and Disher was right on the scene to dig it up and collect the evidence. The writers should stop turning Randy into an idiot-savant. Leave the idiosyncrasies for Monk.

I loved Randy in the one where they got trapped in the bank vault: “CALL 911 U SILVER BASTARD.”

Leland Stottelmeyer, Randy Deacon (later changed to Disher).

Lestrade.

Better than

It rubs the lotion in,
Or it gets the hose again!

I suppose.
:slight_smile:

Premiere tonight, guys! You all gonna watch?

I’ll watch. Sad news about this being the last season, but at least I’ll have Psych and Maggie Lawson to replace Monk and Traylor Howard. I just hope Psych can find a big enough audience to survive.

I’m waiting for the day he called Disher into his office and asks “Hey Randy, let me ask you a question – would you fuck me? I’d fuck me…I’d fuck me so hard…”

[hijack] I love psych, but really am “meh” on Maggie Lawson, both as an actress and from an attractiveness standpoint. The high school reunion episode where Shawn gives up his high school might-have-been love interest (who was extremely cute) because he catches a glimpse of O’Hara…please. I get that they’re trying to get mileage out of the whole sexual tension thing between the two of them, but that was completely unbelievable (yes, I know I’m talking about psych here).[/hijack]

On topic, this episode of Monk looks really annoying from the previews. Of course, I’ll watch it anyway.

Actually the episodes that are coming on now are the second half of season seven. After that there is a whole season 8 to go, so there is one more season after this one.

I loved the premiere… Steve Zahn was hilarious, I always forget how good he is in these guest appearances. I loved the recurrence of the pancakes thing… yeah continuity! Next week’s episode looks great too.

If I were Monk, I’d have a square cookie-cutter to mold the pancakes, or to cut out the perfect shape. Using your spatula makes them slightly irregular.

What?

StG

I agree. It started as a Mystery show with a quirky detective. Now it’s a quirky show about Quirks and how “funny” being insane is, and oh yes, there’s some sort of murder. Which is funny.:rolleyes:

Billdo sez it better. Ponsonby is right about Disher.

But at least they don’t go for the sexual tension thing between Monk and his assistant, or at least not that I have seen. I am so fucking tired of that.

He probably couldn’t find one the right size.

Haha, yeah. I like the relationship between Natalie and Monk, it’s nice that it isn’t a romantic thing, at least not yet. This most recent episode was good for the two of them, though I felt sooo bad for Natalie!

Tonight’s episode has Gena Rowlands guest starring as a little old lady who helps Monk cross the street… :smiley: :smack: This show is so ridiculous, in such a good way. Love it.

You do know that Tony Shalhoub is one of the series’ Executive Producers, no?